Set your tivos

plenzmd1

Just a heads up the 2nd season of Deadliest Catch starts tonight. And as I know how much both Bib and Cincy love TV shows, wanted to make sure they knew :doh:

But I am interested to see if the end of "derby" style fishing has any effect on these guys.BTW, really liked this show last year

AD, any insight

Looking forward to the new season as well.

But I am interested to see if the end of "derby" style fishing has any effect on these guys.

If I understand the changes boats will get paid based on their historical catch, not what they bring in this year? Seems to be less incentive for them to break their necks. Do I misunderstand the changes?

Looking forward to the new season as well.

If I understand the changes boats will get paid based on their historical catch, not what they bring in this year?  Seems to be less incentive for them to break their necks.  Do I misunderstand the changes?

644616[/snapback]

IIRC, and i could be wrong, they were assisnged a quoata based on the historical catch

From the Discovery Website

Unlike last season — the last derby style race to catch as many crabs as possible in a matter of days — fishermen must now abide by a new set of rules and regulations that were implemented to decelerate the already dangerous conditions in the Alaskan waters. New policy dictates that each ship is given its own quota instead of one fleet-wide quota, allowing captains months to trawl for crabs instead of days.

Either way it should be fun to watch.

From the Discovery Website

Either way it should be fun to watch.

644628[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. Not sure if having the boats out on the water for longer stretches of time will be less dangerous though. Mother Nature is a real B word. At least before they knew that the boats would only be out a matter of days.

Regardless, I'll be watching again.

Thanks for the info.  Not sure if having the boats out on the water for longer stretches of time will be less dangerous though.  Mother Nature is a real B word.  At least before they knew that the boats would only be out a matter of days.

Regardless, I'll be watching again.

644636[/snapback]

Gives the boats more flexibility, though, and less incentive to stay out in bad conditions.

From the boat's perspective it's probably about a wash; overall risk's probably about the same, but spread out over a longer time. Who'll benefit most is the Coast Guard, who'll be better able to respond to less frequent emergencies.

Just a heads up the 2nd season of Deadliest Catch starts tonight. And as I know how much both Bib and Cincy love TV shows, wanted to make sure they knew :unsure:

But I am interested to see if the end of "derby" style fishing has any effect on these guys.BTW, really liked this show last year

AD, any insight

644605[/snapback]

???

I haven't watched a broadcast show for maybe 20 years other than Wheel of Fortune or Jay Leno a couple of times a year, or Seinfeld re-runs. I have never had HBO or any premium channels - no Sopranos, etc. No South Park, no Simpsons, no Lost, no American Idol, no Survivor etc. Pure pap, there.

I do record the old b&w stuff like What's My Line shows, and some Food Channel stuff, and numerous TCM movies, and the Poriot/Sherlock Holmes genre.

Insult somebody else, Plenzmd1 the Philistine! :P

???

I haven't watched a broadcast show for maybe 20 years other than Wheel of Fortune or Jay Leno a couple of times a year, or Seinfeld re-runs. I have never had HBO or any premium channels - no Sopranos, etc. No South Park, no Simpsons, no Lost, no American Idol, no Survivor etc. Pure pap, there.

I do record the old b&w stuff like What's My Line shows, and some Food Channel stuff, and numerous TCM movies, and the Poriot/Sherlock Holmes genre.

Insult somebody else, Plenzmd1 the Philistine! :P

644822[/snapback]

My sarcasm was not eveident I guess. Bib and you seem to detest TV and the discussion of such. hence the tag line.

Okay, so Lost doesn't make the cut and is called pap, but Wheel of Fortune does? Guess that show is worthy of deep philosphicall discussion?Cincy, gotta get inside that brain of yours :unsure:

Poirot, is that the stuff on ESPN classic about ole #11?

My sarcasm was not eveident I guess. Bib and you seem to detest TV and the discussion of such. hence the tag line.

Okay, so Lost doesn't make the cut and is called pap, but Wheel of Fortune does? Guess that show is worthy of deep philosphicall discussion?Cincy, gotta get inside that brain of yours :unsure:

Poirot, is that the stuff on ESPN classic about ole #11?

644850[/snapback]

No, Wheel of Fortune is a long-running tv show noted by Sajak's quick wit and light humor, plus the enjoyment of seeing folks from all walks of live test their skills and get some pleasure and some monetary gain.

Good stuff, I'd say. Nothing philosophical, except the philosophy of being happy for the happiness of others.

That you don't know Agatha's Poriot is sad. Work on it. :)

Pay attention to what stuck says. You will be the better for it. :P

Paul doesnt need to go to Alaska to get crabs.......he gets them via the internet.    :w00t:

644970[/snapback]

Hey, my crabs I'll put up agaisn't anyones!!!!!

No, Wheel of Fortune is a long-running tv show noted by Sajak's quick wit and light humor, plus the enjoyment of seeing folks from all walks of live test their skills and get some pleasure and some monetary gain.

Good stuff, I'd say. Nothing philosophical, except the philosophy of being happy for the happiness of others.

That you don't know Agatha's Poriot is sad. Work on it. 

Pay attention to what stuck says. You will be the better for it.

I do not know if i am more worried about my obvious attempts at sarcasm not being recognized, or you call yourself a Buffalo fan and miss the the references to the greatest sabre of them all. Poriot, Perrault, at least that is how the bishop in the Princess Bride would pronounce :unsure:

And I have had enough of your condescending, know all attitude just cause I am excited that I read today the Simpsons will be doing a LIVE telcast using real live actors. Now that my friend, will be classic entertainment, not some sissy production from the BBC pretending to appeal to the more genteel amongst us.I say appeals to the most pretentios(not even close is it cinci) :P:)

dam i need spell check

Hey, my crabs I'll put up agaisn't anyones!!!!!

I do not know if i am more worried about my obvious attempts at sarcasm not being recognized, or you call yourself a Buffalo fan and miss the the references to the greatest sabre of them all. Poriot, Perrault, at least that is how the bishop in the Princess Bride would pronounce B-)

And I have had enough of your condescending, know all  attitude just cause I am excited that I read today the Simpsons will be doing a LIVE telcast using real live actors. Now that my friend, will be classic entertainment, not some sissy production from the BBC pretending to appeal to the more genteel amongst us.I say appeals to the most pretentios(not even close is it cinci)  :doh:  :lol:

dam i need spell check

644983[/snapback]

Go frequently fly yourself. :lol::D