Here's a draft that can fulfill our needs.

KC could be the right trade partner for us with Moulds. They're pretty weak at WR and with a O-Line that's aging, one would think that they'll need to make it a little easier for Larry Johnson. Herm is well aware of Moulds and GM hasn't been afraid to use draft picks to improve his team and coaching staff. Here's my proposal.

Trade Moulds and our second 3rd rd pick (#73) 225 points for KC's 2nd rd pick (#54) 360 points. On the value chart that's a difference of 135 points which equates to a later 3rd rd pick, approximately #91. Actually the 91st pick is 136 points, which is close enough. With these picks select the following.

1st rd #8 Ohio St. LB A.J. Hawk 6'1" | 248 | 40 time: 4.59

Strengths:

Incredibly instinctive with top football intelligence...Always around the ball...Makes plays sideline-to-sideline and has good range...Has more than enough speed and closes fast...Is a sure tackler...Very solid in coverage against backs and TEs...Does an excellent job of shedding blockers and working his way through traffic...Extremely productive...Team leader and captain...Works as hard as anyone...Intense, competitive and tough player with off the chart intangibles.

Weaknesses:

Might not be quite as athletic as his computer numbers would lead you to believe...Is on the short side...Does not change direction real well...Has some trouble taking on massive blockers, especially in the run game...Can improve as a blitzer...Missed a good portion of his senior year of high school due to injury.

Notes:

Simply the best defensive player in college football as a senior...May have been first linebacker selected in the 2005 NFL Draft had he come out early...Has the makings of an impact playmaking linebacker at the pro level...Top prospect.

*I don't believe that Ngata will be available when we pick and if A.J. is gone than TE Vernon Davis would be the pick.

2nd rd #42 Southern Cal S Darnell Bing 6'2" | 227 | 40 time: 4.59

Strengths:

Has excellent size...An explosive natural athlete...Has outstanding instincts...Does a great job of supporting the run...Tough, strong and physical...Can really lay the lumber...A playmaker who has a knack for being around the ball and making the big play...Productive and experienced having started three years for the Trojans.

Weaknesses:

Does not have great timed speed...Is not very natural in coverage...Goes for the big hit rather than the secure tackle too often...Can be too aggressive and will overpursue at times...Durability is a concern as he has a history of minor injuries.

Notes:

Was a part of the famed 2002 Long Beach Poly high school class that also included Winston Justice (USC), Marcedes Lewis (U.C.L.A.), Hershel Dennis (USC) and Manuel Wright (Miami Dolphins)...Did not qualify to play out of high school and spent 2002 at Long Beach (California) City College...When all is said and done this guy is the type who always seems to come through with the game changing play.

2nd rd #54 (from KC) Texas OT Jonathan Scott 6'6 3/8" | 316 | 40 time: 5.31

Strengths:

Has excellent size with long arms and the frame to add even more weight...Lithe and very athletic with good quickness...Has tremendous feet...Moves extremely well and gets to the second level...Smart player with top intangibles...Has a lot of experience and has been very durable...Helped pave the way for one of the most productive offenses in the nation throughout his career...Still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:

Suffers from bouts of inconsistency...An underachiever who doesn't always play up to his talent level...Needs to work on a refining his technique as he will overextend and get sloppy with his footwork at times...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Not very physical...Doesn't always finish & may not be nasty.

Notes:

Father Ray enjoyed a short stint with the New York Jets...In terms of measurables and physical tools this guy is the total package and the majority of his faults are correctable...Has the potential and ability to be a top left tackle in the NFL.

3rd rd #70 Northwestern DT Barry Cofield 6'4" | 304 | 40 time: 4.94

Strengths:

Has good size and a big frame...Athletic with good speed and quickness...Very strong and powerful...Plays with good leverage and gets a push...Does a superb job of locating the ball...Stout at the point and defends the run very well...Smart with good intangibles...Has a lot of experience and proved to be very durable.

Weaknesses:

Is not a great pass rusher or sack artist...Tends to wear down and needs to increase his stamina...Lacks a nasty demeanor on the field and can be more aggressive...Never focused on one position...Might be a DE / DT 'tweener.

Notes:

Played defensive tackle as a freshman and senior and then Defensive end in between...Could play in the middle of a 4-3 or even shift outside to defensive end in a 3-4 scheme...The type who does everything well but nothing great...Definitely has some intriguing physical tools and the success Luis Castillo had should help.

Well, there you have it. I'll never do this again, way too much typing for me but I hope that you enjoy it.

I'll begin to try to look at alternative selection ideas (though this post is little more than commentary on your offerings and does not include a better idea which it legitimately should if I am going to find fault with your choices) but:

I see us with somewhat of a logjam issue at LB assuming TKO even half recovers. Having us switch to a 3-4 made sense as we already needed to be in the DT market anyway and this switch reduces our DT needs down. However, the acquisition of a penetrator like Triplett rather than a run stuffer in the Big Ted mode means we are committed to the 4-3.

With TKO back at WLB, Fletcher at MLB and Crowell signed long term so that I do not see us sitting him on the bench after he filled in admirably for TKO, I see him moving to SLB and Posey either going bye-bye or sitting doiwn.

I like Hawk as a player but do not see us using our #8 pick as a sub so picking Hawk is not in the cards for us IMHO.

2. I agree that there is a crying need for an SS after our release of Milloy, but Bing sounds like a great player whose strengths neither fit our D scheme or needs. We ar going to run a cover-2 as our base D scheme according to Jauron. The job of the safeties (both free and strong who will divide the field in half in a cover- 2) will be to play centerfielders and diagnose run/pass plays. We will need heavy consistent pressure from our DL and also flexibility and good diagnosis by our LBs who will be the primary hitters and run stuffers (unlike the zone blitz we ran under Gray/LeBeau where DEs Schobel and Denney were often called upon to pass cover and S Milloy pinched the line and hit like a run stuffer.

Your write up sites Bing as a good replacement for Milloy given zone blitz responsibilities but specifically sites him as not being a natural cover guy and not having outstanding speed when the primary job of our safeties will be to cover alot of field (thus, Fewell as DC might use the experience he picked up in Jax to actually have us do more of a cover 3 rather than a cover 3 so our safeties will not have as much ground to cover.

Huff would be a great safety for us because he has demonstrated he has the skills to both be a major hitter and a cover guy, but even if he drops to 8 I think we are more likely to take Ngota there because stopping the run is such a big need if he is available.

3. I like Scott as an OT despite the lack of success we have had with UT OL players. It is interesting that the same rap on him in your write up (an underachiever who did not always play up to his talent level) was essentially the undoing of fellow UT tacklr Mike Williams. He is a fellow whom the HC and scouts need to look in the eye to see if he has the right stuff and us outsiders will not know for sure until its too late.

4. Cofield is an interesting player and particularly after losing out on Ngata in your draft and waiting until round 3 to address this need you were attracted to him. However, particularly since we have gotten Triplett I think our other DT starter needs to be a run stopper rather than someone termed a tweener in your own write-up provided.

At least that's my humble opinion and why I feel this way.

I love Hawk, and I think he will do great in the NFL, but I really doubt he falls to us, and if he does, that likely means the three guys I'd really like (D'Brick, M Williams and Davis) are off the board. So, in the situation, the Bills should really trade down. The only way I'd draft Hawk is if I knew TKO wasn't coming back even close to full speed. Otherwise, we're trying to figure out how to use Spike, Fletcher, Posey, Crowell and Hawk. Maybe we could use a 2-5.

All that said, I do like the trade scenario with the Chiefs, turning our extra 3rd-rounder into a 2nd-rounder.

I love Scott in rd. 2-I don't think he'll be there though. He'll go late 1st because of left tackle "potential". Players who I would love to see in Buffalo are:

Daven Joseph-Guard

Jon Scott-Tackle

Kelly Jennings-CB

Joseph Addai-RB

Gabe Watson-DT

James Wyche-DE

Martin Nance-WR

Stanley McClover-DE

These are just a few whom I like. I like Wyche from Syracuse. Looks the part of Simon Fletcher. I also feel Jennings will be the best shut down corner in this draft. We'll see.

This board would explode if Marv and company drafted those players.  We need lineman.  I want our first 3 picks to be linemen. Our fourth is a saftey.

644146[/snapback]

The board will explode no matter who is picked or not picked. I agree we need linemen, and luckily, there are plenty of good ones in this draft.

The board will explode no matter who is picked or not picked. I agree we need linemen, and luckily, there are plenty of good ones in this draft.

644147[/snapback]

If that's true and there are "plenty" of lineman that grade out to be solid NFL linemen then the Bills should use every pick on linemen.

Marv always said "inorder to win you have to be able run and stop the run". Right now, IMO, the Bills don't enough tallent on either line. To go in any other direction? Then maybe you should go out and get a Safety. Because he is going to be making a lot of tackles down field.

at 8 we can get the best defensive tackle in the draft. That's what we should go for-Ngata. I like Mahelona of Tennessee as a third round defensive tackel. I am not at all clear as to why we didn't strengthen the offensive line in free agency so I suspect we need to draft for the OL as well. Finally there are some outstanding tight ends who will be available in the late second and early third rounds. Leonard Pope and Fasano may be our reach picks. I'm still strong on Jason Allen as a possible safety pick along the way.

The trade scenario sounds terrific, by the way.