Origins of PPP posters...

TPS

You lost me at Berkeley.  :)

Guess I was an anomoly. I was the one usually involved in some scheme to see what I could get away with and just blew off people who bothered me.

Oh wait...

I'm not a neo-con...really...

639930[/snapback]

Oh, oh! That sounds a lot like my kindergarten days...Am I a closet neo-con? :ph34r:

A few decades later, Block followed up with more surveys, looking again at personality, and this time at politics, too. The whiny kids tended to grow up conservative, and turned into rigid young adults who hewed closely to traditional gender roles and were uncomfortable with ambiguity.

The confident kids turned out liberal and were still hanging loose, turning into bright, non-conforming adults with wide interests. The girls were still outgoing, but the young men tended to turn a little introspective.

Block admits in his paper that liberal Berkeley is not representative of the whole country.

Yeah, down with "traditional gender roles"! :ph34r:

We all have it in us. But for many, it's a recessive gene.

639938[/snapback]

Ghost you were a Berkeley baby?? Now that is impressive, I was born there before moving to Buffalo at 4 years old. There is video of me running around sit-ins and be-ins as a toddler before the drugs and b.s. took over. Folks were still dressed in suits and ties and kaki pants back then, when the true liberals were protesting. The "rioters for fun and profit," dope smoking and getting laid came later. The later not necessarily bad, just different and it coopted everything else.

I don't buy the study, I know plenty of insecure liberals and self dillusional freaks who claim to be lefties. Also know the same quantity of righties that fall into the same category. I would modify the study to see if insecure folks tend to end up on the political extremes, speaking of which...Darin how was your childhood, Alaska eh? Now that is extreme....just kidding....

No, I was born in Buffalo and grew up in Lancaster. By "we" I meant humankind. I have no doubt that there were more conservative Australopothecus than liberal. Those "free thinkers going against society" probably got eaten a lot. As hard as it is to believe, one doesn't have to be avante garde to progress and have new ideas.

No, I was born in Buffalo and grew up in Lancaster. By "we" I meant humankind. I have no doubt that there were more conservative Australopothecus than liberal. Those "free thinkers going against society" probably got eaten a lot. As hard as it is to believe, one doesn't have to be avante garde to progress and have new ideas.

640006[/snapback]

Oh heck, I know some avante guard conservatives too, but the real ideas get generated by the extremes, even you would agree, and then adapted and made pragmatic by folks that can interpret than in to usefulness.

I would consider Big Daddy Don Garlits a free thinker and they don't get much more right then him. Guy's a genius when it comes to cars. Ted Nugent is a free thinker and a righty. I am not sure I would or could proportionally generalize which side has the greater numbers though, still think it ebbs and flows depending on the amount of drugs or fundalmentalist religion provided each side.

Both seem to send folks out onto ephemeral plains of thinking.

Oh heck, I know some avante guard conservatives too, but the real ideas get generated by the extremes

Yeah, it's LAMP - but I'm in my current line of work BECAUSE I think outside the box. Maybe it's age, but one learns where to temper extreme thinking by the realities. Extreme's are for young un's who can afford to be idealistic. They rarely have responsibility for the implementation of their ideas. When they do, it never seems to work well.

"The whiny kids tended to grow up conservative, and turned into rigid young adults who hewed closely to traditional gender roles and were uncomfortable with ambiguity.

The confident kids turned out liberal and were still hanging loose, turning into bright, non-conforming adults with wide interests. The girls were still outgoing, but the young men tended to turn a little introspective."

I guess if you are a conservative you are "whiny", but if you are liberal you are "non-conforming". Funny I always thought the "non-conforming" kids where always whining about conservative values. I think this guy may be more biased against conservatives than I am against liberals!

Maybe I can get some government funding to write a paper about how the wierd dressing(non conforming), Obnoxious (confident), lazy (hanging loose), non-focused (wide interests) kids grew up to be liberals. While the disciplined (rigid), focused kids who were comfortable with widely accepted gender roles (uncomfortable with ambuguity) grew up to be conservatives.

I am not a religious person, but if hell exists it must be a lot like Berkeley!

It would be a lonely and strange place indeed!

640101[/snapback]

Wing, go visit sometime, the conservatives own it now, the lefties are homeless on the street corners. It by and large has turned into a shopping plaza with upscale coffee shops. Oh sure there are closet liberals who have made money, but they keep their mouths shut. Berkeley is conservative, look at Scott Peterson...in Shiite Iraq it would have been no problem doing what he did and he almost got away with it here.

Wing, go visit sometime, the conservatives own it now, the lefties are homeless on the street corners.  It by and large has turned into a shopping plaza with upscale coffee shops.  Oh sure there are closet liberals who have made money, but they keep their mouths shut.  Berkeley is conservative, look at Scott Peterson...in Shiite Iraq it would have been no problem doing what he did and he almost got away with it here.

640108[/snapback]

I'm not into fancy coffee, but it sounds like they may be headed in the right direction. I guess you can polish a turd!

Berkeley is conservative, look at Scott Peterson...in Shiite Iraq it would have been no problem doing what he did and he almost got away with it here.

640108[/snapback]

1. How did he "almost get away with it"? Is there anyone in the world who believed his goofy alibi?

2. What in the hell does our legal system have to do with Shiite Iraq? What kind of inverted reality are you living in where Berkely is conservative and the proof is that he almost got away with a murder that may not have been a problem in a muslim theocracy? If anything, aren't the conservatives in this country the people who favor tougher sentences for criminals? I mean, I wasn't born in Berkeley, but what you just said makes no sense on any level.

So let me see if I got this right:

If you're whiney when you're young you grow up to be a good sound citizen with good moral fiber, making good money and paying taxes.

If you grow up a complacent child you grow up to be a whiney B word, with no morals, complaining you can't get free condoms, and you're worried that as a crack 'ho you may get pregnant again, and you are so drunk or dopped out you forget to get the !@#$ out of NOLA when an evacuation is called for.

Hum.... let me see which I would rather be.

1. How did he "almost get away with it"? Is there anyone in the world who believed his goofy alibi?

2. What in the hell does our legal system have to do with Shiite Iraq? What kind of inverted reality are you living in where Berkely is conservative and the proof is that he almost got away with a murder that may not have been a problem in a muslim theocracy? If anything, aren't the conservatives in this country the people who favor tougher sentences for criminals? I mean, I wasn't born in Berkeley, but what you just said makes no sense on any level.

640141[/snapback]

No but the fact that a man can even think it is okay to treat a woman that way...as chattle seems to be more in line with conservative philosophy, including fundalmental Islam...shoot even that is not true but patriachial societal belief tend to eminate from conservatives. Besides it was such a fun satirical statement to make, kinda Carl Rove, Ken Mehlmanesque.

So do right wing Muslims, the problem is the defining what is criminal and both go off the deep end.

P.S. Berkeley is money now and so is the area, when money is involved people tend to get more conservative, not all bad, but they try and protect their possession and therefore want to jail left wingnuts etc. Hence, Berkeley has gotten a lot more conservative, go there sometime. There are street people yes, but you can't touch a house for under 7 figures.

Wing, go visit sometime, the conservatives own it now, the lefties are homeless on the street corners.  It by and large has turned into a shopping plaza with upscale coffee shops.  Oh sure there are closet liberals who have made money, but they keep their mouths shut.  Berkeley is conservative, look at Scott Peterson...in Shiite Iraq it would have been no problem doing what he did and he almost got away with it here.

640108[/snapback]

I live in the Bay area. Bezerkeley is even more extreme than SF. The city line has the "Nuclear Free Zone" signs up even though the cyclotron was invented there and the campus still has one. A member of the city council wanted to name a library after a woman who is an avowed communist. The place is still a loonie bin.

What the hell does Peterson have to doio with Berkeley?? He killed his wife in Modesto, 90 miles away, drove to the Berkeley Marina (oh there's the connection!), and dumped his wife and unborn son in the bay and she washed up in Richmond (just north of Berkeley). His trial was in Redwood city, across the bay from Berkeley.