Could D'Brick ultimately be one of those guys...

.... So many profiles, the latest in this week's Sports Weekly, talk about his diverse tastes, religious studies, disinterest in money, etc... His talent seems unquestioned, but when weighing his long-term impact and you're drafting in the top ten, do you at least have to consider a Robert Smith-esque attitude toward the game that translates into underachievement or early retirement?

.... So many profiles, the latest in this week's Sports Weekly, talk about his diverse tastes, religious studies, disinterest in money, etc... His talent seems unquestioned, but when weighing his long-term impact and you're drafting in the top ten, do you at least have to consider a Robert Smith-esque attitude toward the game that translates into underachievement or early retirement?

639600[/snapback]

Just cause a man is not a complete dolt and has interests outside of football, i do not think you can jump to the conclusion he will not work hard or strive to be the best.Like my favorite author, Tom robbins said in Jitterbug Perfume"I've met a lot a rich !@#$s in my life, and ive met a lot of poor !@#$s in my life.Only differance is the rich !@#$s can at least buy their own drinks"

Think this applies somewhat here as well. There ahve been a lot of smart OL who have succeded and worked their asses off for their whole careers, ALA Gene Upshaw,Munoz, all the Matthews brothers... and a lot of dolts like ...Mike Williams who got that first paychex and never lived up to their potential.

So, I guess what im saying, really depends on the individual, as in all walks of life and careers

or he could go the reggie white route and dominate in his position and still have religion as a big part of his life...another one to add to that list is steve young. he was a devoted mormon who still had a great/good(?) career in NFL....as for money..who dosent want it..ill take it if hes just gonna throw it away..lol

639600[/snapback]

I thought Robert Smith's biggest issue was injury in the early stages of his career. I'm guessing that played a major role in his early departure from the game...but, I could be wrong.

He was a terrific back...and an intelligent and diverse person.

or he could go the reggie white route and dominate in his position and still have religion as a big part of his life...another one to add to that list is steve young. he was a devoted mormon who still had a great/good(?) career in NFL....as for money..who dosent want it..ill take it if hes just gonna throw it away..lol

639682[/snapback]

and after watching the first two episodes of that HBO series "Big Love' I'm thinking being a Morman ain't so bad

and after watching the first two episodes of that HBO series "Big Love' I'm thinking being a Morman ain't so bad

639689[/snapback]

Is that Jamie Pressley?

D'Bricks attitude is why I would love to see the jets draft him. from what I have read he enjoys football, but doesn't play with a mean streak. He considers himself a bit of a class clown too. Who does that remind me of? Mike Williams, the difference is this, Mike has 70 pounds on him. Mike Williams spent too much time trying to make friends on the football field. Also, while the tackle class is good, there is no Bryant McKinnie, meaning, there isn't that true size/athletic combo guy, who no one thinks will do wrong in the NFL.

Brick is a Passive guy. Which is great for parties, but not for football. I don't like to see my linemen smile without blood in there teeth. or tooth.

and Mormons have to deal with that underwear thing, and I can't live without coffee. And I can't believe in a religion that started in Wayne County, Just east of Monroe County in Upstate NY for those who do not know. (frogger grew up in Wayne county)

639600[/snapback]

Except while Robert Smith retired early, he was a stud, and made a couple of probowls, one of which he missed due to surgery.

Yeah I'll take 6-7 years of that if Brick wants to retire early. :ph34r:

I thought Robert Smith's biggest issue was injury in the early stages of his career.  I'm guessing that played a major role in his early departure from the game...but, I could be wrong.

639686[/snapback]

He also enjoyed smokin the dope, ala Ricky W. What is it with the Vikings. SEX, DRUGS AND BOATS? :ph34r:

He also enjoyed smokin the dope, ala Ricky W. What is it with the Vikings. SEX, DRUGS AND BOATS? :ph34r:

639945[/snapback]

Actually he quit and told everyone even while he was at OSU that he was going to be a doctor and would quit pro football early. If you remember he had issues at OSU with coaches who were angry that he actually was going to class rather than skipping and going to practice like everyone else.

I thought Robert Smith's biggest issue was injury in the early stages of his career.  I'm guessing that played a major role in his early departure from the game...but, I could be wrong.

639686[/snapback]

How long did you guys date? :ph34r:

D'Bricks attitude is why I would love to see the jets draft him.  from what I have read he enjoys football, but doesn't play with a mean streak.  He considers himself a bit of a class clown too.  Who does that remind me of?  Mike Williams, the difference is this, Mike has 70 pounds on him.  Mike Williams spent too much time trying to make friends on the football field.  Also, while the tackle class is good, there is no Bryant McKinnie, meaning, there isn't that true size/athletic combo guy, who no one thinks will do wrong in the NFL. 

Brick is a Passive guy.  Which is great for parties, but not for football.  I don't like to see my linemen smile without blood in there teeth.  or tooth.

and Mormons have to deal with that underwear thing, and I can't live without coffee.  And I can't believe in a religion that started in Wayne County, Just east of Monroe County in Upstate NY for those who do not know.  (frogger grew up in Wayne county)

639720[/snapback]

...to be revisited in a few years...

They said that Glen Parker wasnt interested in staying in Football either(of course I think with him it was about surfing not religion) but he had a long career. After you get that much money you become accostumed to it, and realize you can spend 8-10 years of your life make some good investments and retire in the mid 30's