Nall agrees to terms

JoeF

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

Good that means that the qb position definetly won't be addressed in the draft.

Nall was unavailable for comment, so it's unclear what his thinking was, but his agent, Robb Nelson, said in an e-mail Sunday night that Nall had agreed to a three-year deal with the Bills. If Nall had stayed in Green Bay, he would have been in the running for the starting job had Favre retired, even with 2005 first-round pick Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings.

New Packers coach Mike McCarthy had made it a point to meet with Nall and tell him the Packers wanted him back, even though they couldn't promise him anything more than the No. 3 spot. But Nall had made it clear from the beginning that he wanted to shop the market to see if he could find more playing time, especially knowing there was a chance Favre would come back.

In Buffalo, Nall will be behind 2004 first-round pick J.P. Losman, who was supposed to be the team's franchise quarterback, and veteran Kelly Holcomb. However, it's thought the Bills will part with one of the two quarterbacks and Nall will have a chance to fight for the starting job this summer.

Neither Holcomb nor Losman will have the advantage over Nall of working with a familiar coaching staff because the Bills brought in Dick Jauron to replace Mike Mularkey, who resigned at the end of last season. As a result, Nall has a legitimate shot at competing for the starting job.

Link

Good that means that the qb position definetly won't be addressed in the draft.

635747[/snapback]

Being a Green Bay fan I can tell you that Nall has alot of potential. I liked Craig alot. He looked very good in relief of Favre 2 years ago when Doug Pederson got hurt. I've argued alot with other Packer fans about how good he can be.

Green Bay wanted him back. IMO he should have been Favre's successor not Aaron Rodgers.

Nall has a great arm and many on the team said it was just as good as Brett's. He throws an excellent deep ball.

I think he has a good shot be your starting QB. Good luck with Nall.

Means nothing, we only had 2 QB's on the roster before this signing right? Sounds like a roster filler to me...but we'll see.

635754[/snapback]

Marv said before that there would be competion for the starting Qb job. Remember, he also mentioned the possiblity of a 3rd string qb to take the job? Sound like there's going to be a real dog fight for the job now.

Being a Green Bay fan I can tell you that Nall has alot of potential. I liked Craig alot. He looked very good in relief of Favre 2 years ago when Doug Pederson got hurt. I've aruged alot with other Packer fans about how good he can be.

Green Bay wanted him back. IMO he should have been Favre's successor not Aaron Rodgers.

Nall has a great arm and many on the team said it was just as good as Brett's. He throws an excellent deep ball.

I think he has a good shot be your starting QB. Good luck with Nall.

635749[/snapback]

Thanks green. Good to see you guys are still around here. This imo was a good move for the Bills in more than one way.

Brings in 3 potential starters for the starting job.

Some thought we would take a look in the draft at a qb.

He backed up Brett Favre. One of the greatest signal callers to EVER play the game. I'm sure he learned a lil something from Brett (who by the way is one of my favorite non-Bills). :doh:

Good move by Marv and Jauron. Now the oline please.

"In Buffalo, Nall will be behind 2004 first-round pick J.P. Losman, who was supposed to be the team's franchise quarterback, and veteran Kelly Holcomb. However, it's thought the Bills will part with one of the two quarterbacks and Nall will have a chance to fight for the starting job this summer."

The end of JP ?

I like the move...the backups for Favre have done pretty well, and the kid does have great poise in the pocket. At the very least, he'll be interesting to watch in the preseason.

Also, here is the KFFL report on this:

Bills | Team agrees to terms with Nall

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:53:43 -0800

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Buffalo Bills have agreed to terms with free agent QB Craig Nall (Packers) on a three-year contract. Financial terms were not released. In Buffalo, Nall will be behind QB J.P. Losman, who was supposed to be the team's franchise quarterback, and QB Kelly Holcomb. However, it's thought the Bills could part with one of the two quarterbacks and Nall will have a chance to fight for the starting job this summer.

Craig Nall QB

# 16 Craig Nall

Position: QB

Height: 6-3

Weight: 230

Born: 04/21/1979

College: Northwestern State

NFL Experience: 5

* Name is pronounced NAHL

* Became Brett Favre’s primary backup in Week 5 of 2004 after a rib/back injury ended Doug Pederson’s season; spent his first two-plus campaigns as Green Bay’s No. 3 QB

* Among others, has fought off training camp challenges from Akili Smith (2003) and Tim Couch (2004), the third and first players taken, respectively, in the 1999 NFL Draft

* Was an All-NFL Europe selection in 2003, when he led the spring league in TD passes (18) and passer rating (95.9)

* Was the 10th QB taken in the ‘02 draft, behind players such as Joey Harrington (Lions), Patrick Ramsey (Redskins), Josh McCown (Cardinals), David Garrard (Jaguars) and one-time collegiate teammate Rohan Davey (Patriots)

* Got married this past March to the former Amanda Crain; he also spends considerable time with his two Jack Russell terriers, Abby and Odie, who are roughly a year-and-a-half old

Note:

Amanda Crain was 'Miss Northwestern State', I guess she's a 'looker'. :doh:

http://www.nsula.edu/news/nwlob01.htm

I like the move...the backups for Favre have done pretty well, and the kid does have great poise in the pocket.  At the very least, he'll be interesting to watch in the preseason.

Also, here is the KFFL report on this:

Bills | Team agrees to terms with Nall

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:53:43 -0800

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Buffalo Bills have agreed to terms with free agent QB Craig Nall (Packers) on a three-year contract. Financial terms were not released. In Buffalo, Nall will be behind QB J.P. Losman, who was supposed to be the team's franchise quarterback, and QB Kelly Holcomb. However, it's thought the Bills could part with one of the two quarterbacks and Nall will have a chance to fight for the starting job this summer.

635769[/snapback]

And just how does this make any sense - unless they bring in ANOTHER guy to be the #3? If they dump JP or KH then who's our #3? Vinny Boombatz?

And if we DO sign Vinny (or pluck him from the NFLE) to be our #3, what do we get for JP - or KH for that matter - a number 6 in the 2007 draft, or do we just cut him and let the Patriots take him and groom him properly?

And just how does this make any sense - unless they bring in ANOTHER guy to be the #3? If they dump JP or KH then who's our #3? Vinny Boombatz?

And if we DO sign Vinny (or pluck him from the NFLE) to be our #3, what do we get for JP - or KH for that matter - a number 6 in the 2007 draft, or do we just cut him and let the Patriots take him and groom him properly?

635790[/snapback]

Be interesting to see the contract details. I'm curious, though, as to what sources led a writer in Milwaukee to speculate about the Bills releasing either JPL or KH...

Means nothing, we only had 2 QB's on the roster before this signing right? Sounds like a roster filler to me...but we'll see.

635754[/snapback]

I suppose we only had two....if you don't count the two fodder folks who were assigned to NFL Europe (Woodbury and Ochs)....

I like the signing....if for no other reason, Packer backups have a good history of doing well with other teams, Brunell, Brooks, Hasselbeck.......Nall.

I remember seeing him play two years ago and wondering why they wanted to draft a QB so high. He looked good. He could end up being another RJ, but at the very very least, he is a solid #3.