• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 if you devote a spot to the LS.

633930[/snapback]

Insider Analysis

Grade 69

Expert's Take He lacks the bulk and strength you would like, but his movement skills make up for his shortcomings. He has a good understanding of leverage and plays with a good level of intensity. He is explosive coming off the ball, takes a good first step and takes good angles to his blocks. He shows that he can get to the second level and get to a moving target. He has very good quickness and running ability and he does a good job of pulling on traps and screens. He needs a lot of work and improvement in technique. He is a very good athlete who needs to work on the little things like his base and keeping his head up and locking on with his hands. He has good lateral movement, but does a poor job of picking up stunts and twists because he gets his head down and he lacks anticipation. He can be knocked back into the pocket by the strong bull rush. He is at his best when he can fire out and attack and when he is in space. He has the raw athletic ability to be an outstanding player but he needs to improve his technique. He does not appear to have the versatility to line up anywhere else on the offensive line than at the guard position

I'd like to see Atrain signed as Mcgahees backup. He did well with Jauron as a rookie, and brings a load with him. He isn't a legit receiver, but seems like he would be a good backup. My only issue is I know he has said things about not wanting to play ST's in the past. But as a backup he would have to and would expect something in his contract to that effect.

While I hate the logic, there is something to be said for the fact that Neal seemed to be the ONLY Patriot to start all 16 games last season-- at his natural position-- and still NE made no substantive efforts to retain him. This is not the "emerging player" lost in the depth chart scenario seen with many prospects (Triplett chief among them). It stands to reason that after getting a good look at him, they weren't impressed enough to keep him around, even at the modest salary level they tend to offer their veterans-- there's been no press (I've seen) that indicates the Neal rebuffed any offer from the Pats.

In most cases, this is a squalid kind of reasoning that doesn't seem to take us anywhere; but it might very well apply here that Neal is an interesting candidate and a prospect at a position for which we have very few, but hardly someone we can pencil in as a prospective starter, or even a rotational in-liner.

While I hate the logic, there is something to be said for the fact that Neal seemed to be the ONLY Patriot to start all 16 games last season-- at his natural position-- and still NE made no substantive efforts to retain him.  This is not the "emerging player" lost in the depth chart scenario seen with many prospects (Triplett chief among them).  It stands to reason that after getting a good look at him, they weren't impressed enough to keep him around, even at the modest salary level they tend to offer their veterans-- there's been no press (I've seen) that indicates the Neal rebuffed any offer from the Pats.

In most cases, this is a squalid kind of reasoning that doesn't seem to take us anywhere; but it might very well apply here that Neal is an interesting candidate and a prospect at a position for which we have very few, but hardly someone we can pencil in as a prospective starter, or even a rotational in-liner.

634102[/snapback]

Didn't Logan Mankins play pretty well all last season?

they may see this draft full of guards and believe they can get another younger upgrade.

I thought all the decent OL prospects signed with someone else while Marv was napping... :lol:

633616[/snapback]

With the exception of Neal, these guys could just as easily be street free agents coming in for a look midseason with no fanfare whatsoever. Not a lot of quality there. Neal is decent, but something tells me he wants to get paid like very good.

It's OK to overpay for a great young player, as the Bills did with Takeo Spikes (and Cleveland did with LeCharles Bentley, but I digress), but don't overpay for decent. The Bills have overpaid for decent OL before, most recently Villarial. They've also overpaid for "better than nothing" like Joe Panos and Bennie Anderson.