NHL Jersey Question...

Spun

When did the dark colored jerseys become "home" jerseys and and the white based jerseys become the "away" jerseys? Who initiated the change and why? Was this change league mandated?

I know that with football the lighter colors are preferred to help with overheating. But with hockey, was the change for fashion reasons only? Or maybe it is easier to spot your teammates with the darker jerseys clashed against the ad splattered boards?

When did the dark colored jerseys become "home" jerseys and and the white based jerseys become the "away" jerseys?  Who initiated the change and why?  Was this change league mandated?

I know that with football the lighter colors are preferred to help with overheating.  But with hockey, was the change for fashion reasons only?  Or many it is easier to spot your teammates with the darker jerseys clashed against the ad splattered boards?

631184[/snapback]

2003-04 season. Yes, it was league-mandated.

http://www.sportslogos.net/article.php?n=10

2003-04 season. Yes, it was league-mandated.

http://www.sportslogos.net/article.php?n=10

631226[/snapback]

Could someone translate this mess?

"Now, some of you may wondering, "What's up with the home teams wearing the dark jerseys?". Good question! The NHL has reversed the jerseys from now on, the dark jerseys are now the home jerseys, and vise- versa. This was the way the league had played from 1953 - 1970, they changed due to colour television. Fans wanted to see new colours every week (example, every Leafs game on HNiC was blue vs white). After the increased security in airports, and the introduction of alternate jerseys (in which all but 1 are dark), this led the NHL to switch 'em up. Teams always wanted to wear the alts at home, so road teams would have to bring their homes, and roads with them on plane trips. Problem solved!"

Could someone translate this mess?

"Now, some of you may wondering, "What's up with the home teams wearing the dark jerseys?". Good question! The NHL has reversed the jerseys from now on, the dark jerseys are now the home jerseys, and vise- versa. This was the way the league had played from 1953 - 1970, they changed due to colour television. Fans wanted to see new colours every week (example, every Leafs game on HNiC was blue vs white). After the increased security in airports, and the introduction of alternate jerseys (in which all but 1 are dark), this led the NHL to switch 'em up. Teams always wanted to wear the alts at home, so road teams would have to bring their homes, and roads with them on plane trips. Problem solved!"

631400[/snapback]

I'll try.

The league bowed to fan pressure in '70 and brought home team whites into the league along with Buffalo and Vancouver.

The league bowed to equipment manager pressure in '03 and made home team darks the norm so teams could travel with just 1 (white) set of uni's on road trips. (Regardless of whether the home team wears their normal (dark) uni's or their alternate (dark) uni's, the visitor will wear white, unless the game is in Montreal where the alternates are white.)

Think I also remember reading the original reason baseball/basketball/hockey teams all wore grey or colored jerseys on the road was that they hid dirt better, saving equipment managers a lot of extra work in out-of-town laundromats...

After the increased security in airports, and the introduction of alternate jerseys (in which all but 1 are dark), this led the NHL to switch 'em up.

631400[/snapback]

For someone just coming along and reading it, I think that's one of those sentences that Lewis Black says cause all of the aneurisms in the world.