bills should sign with an american based automaker

i know alot of you are probably ignore this and/or tell me to shut it, and who cares but you should care.

these foreign manufactures are slowing killing the north american middle class. sure they try to convince you that these vehicles are built here, by american workers and they are bringing jobs but wait, where is all that profit ending up?

anyway i'm sorry for the mini-rant, but it's little things like this that seem minor but they slowly change public perception.

and when our automakers have all gone bankrupt and we are all working for foriegn companys we'll wonder, how did we get here? what happened?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy American whenever feasible, but I'm sorry.....I'm not spending 15k on something that is not top quality. I'll take German, Austrian, or Japanese over American vehicles any day.

The ridiculous UAW contracts and mediocre manufacturing standards are the real problem. The artificially high wages and medical coverage that UAW members enjoy add something like $1500 in cost to every American car sold.

Toyota employs many thousands of American workers and pays them a fair wage to deliver a superior product.

Xenophobia has no place in the global marketplace. If American car manufacturers and their union employees cannot compete then they are the ones to blame for all the layoffs and plant closings.

Just my 2 cents.

Eric C

ChicagoRic

My '06 Honda Civic, and the '06 Corrolla I test drove, have more North American parts than most of the Big 3s cars.

629775[/snapback]

Which one did you prefer? I need a good "point A to point B" car since I have a long commute again.....those two are on my short list, along wth the Mazda 3.

EDIT: Oops, wait, I misread your post....I guess you liked the Civic lol

My '06 Honda Civic, and the '06 Corrolla I test drove, have more North American parts than most of the Big 3s cars.

629775[/snapback]

Dunno if this is still true, but a few years ago "American" auto companies could manufacture parts in Canada and Mexico and have those parts called "American". Profits go to stockholders...right? Aren't US and Foreign auto co stocks publically traded?

Which one did you prefer? I need a good "point A to point B" car since I have a long commute again.....those two are on my short list, along wth the Mazda 3.

629784[/snapback]

Former Corolla owner, and the Civic blew me away.

I drive a minimum of 90 miles a day, and the Civic is a great ride. 140 horses, 40 mpg on the highway, and a little over 16 grand invoice.

Dunno if this is still true, but a few years ago "American" auto companies could manufacture parts in Canada and Mexico and have those parts called "American".  Profits go to stockholders...right?  Aren't US and Foreign auto co stocks publically traded?

629786[/snapback]

I think that this is true, post NAFTA.

Anyway, I bought my car from a local dealership with over 30 years in my town. I figure that that money stimulates the local economy, which has its own effects. But that's me......

Former Corolla owner, and the Civic blew me away.

I drive a minimum of 90 miles a day, and the Civic is a great ride.  140 horses, 40 mpg on the highway, and a little over 16 grand invoice.

629789[/snapback]

Nice....back in '99 I went with the Mazda Protege over the Civic, but I'm about ready to go again. The Protege served me very well, but they shifted production to the US a year or two after I bought mine and supposedly the Mazda 3s and 6s took some steps downward in terms of quality and reliability. So I'm going to give that new Civic a close look here pretty soon. I need reliability and fuel efficiency above anything else, but I also like to have a little bit of class in the styling.....I think the Corolla, Civic, and 3 all have that going for them, though. Did you happen to drive the Mazda 3?

Dunno if this is still true, but a few years ago "American" auto companies could manufacture parts in Canada and Mexico and have those parts called "American".  Profits go to stockholders...right?  Aren't US and Foreign auto co stocks publically traded?

629786[/snapback]

As Ned Beatty pointed out in Network:

"You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations; there are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems; one vast, interwoven, interacting, multivaried, multinational dominion of dollars."

i know alot of you are probably ignore this and/or tell me to shut it, and who cares but you should care.

these foreign manufactures are slowing killing the north american middle class. sure they try to convince you that these vehicles are built here, by american workers and they are bringing jobs but wait, where is all that profit ending up?

anyway i'm sorry for the mini-rant, but it's little things like this that seem minor but they slowly change public perception.

and when our automakers have all gone bankrupt and we are all working for foriegn companys we'll wonder, how did we get here? what happened?

629768[/snapback]

Which is better for America: a Toyota made in Kentucky or a GM made in Mexico/Canada?

Answer:A Toyota

The foreign manufacturers are not killing the middle class BTW.

As Ned Beatty pointed out in Network:

"You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations; there are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems; one vast, interwoven, interacting, multivaried, multinational dominion of dollars."

629795[/snapback]

One of the GREAT monologues of all time. The world is a business, Mr Beale.

Did you happen to drive the Mazda 3?

629794[/snapback]

I did not. But a guy I work with has the sport wagon, a few years old. I think it's been pretty good for him...but he doesn't rack up the kind of miles I do.

My 1 complaint about the Civic, and it's barely worth mentioning, is the trunk is a bit small. But, I don't have kids and a ton of stuff to drag around so it's not that big a deal to me.

I buy American whenever feasible, but I'm sorry.....I'm not spending 15k on something that is not top quality. I'll take German, Austrian, or Japanese over American vehicles any day.

629781[/snapback]

American car companies have surpassed German manufacturers in quality marks for the past few years.

I did not.  But a guy I work with has the sport wagon, a few years old.  I think it's been pretty good for him...but he doesn't rack up the kind of miles I do.

My 1 complaint about the Civic, and it's barely worth mentioning, is the trunk is a bit small.  But, I don't have kids and a ton of stuff to drag around so it's not that big a deal to me.

629806[/snapback]

Yeah, that's a minor point with me too.....I do need a car to have some nice headroom, though. That was one of the strenghts of the Protege....I'm 6'2", 255lbs, so I need my space. I'm glad that you're so happy with it....that makes me feel good about checkign it out. You know the one I REALLY liked was the Civic Si.....that was a hot car, and it could FLY, but I just couldn't justify it at the time. If they still make it, I may give it a closer look. I'm a big fan of smaller, maneuverable cars as opposed to big boat sedans.

I would love to buy an American car. I just don't like spending all my days off at the auto repair shop. If they continue to make inferior products then they should go out of business.

629772[/snapback]

People have this opinion and perhaps it's deserved, but much of it comes from past experience and reputation. People maintain this assumption no matter how much American cars improve. An example of how reputations does not always match up with reality:

Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe are the same car yet the former has significantly higher resale value.