Jeff Burris , what he said on radio

millbank

In the Buffalo News today is a article by Alan Pergament , with Jeff Burris discussing why he made the comments he did during broadcast of Bills game, that concerned those who heard it.

Jeff Burris battles depression brought on by move from football to the real world

"When you walk away from football, a lot of guys lose a sense of direction. All my life I dealt with a set regimen. This [radio work] has given me another opportunity to be on that time frame."

Jeff Burris wants everyone who heard him on 97 Rock on the final pregame show of the Buffalo Bills season to know he's doing fine.

The sideline reporter stunned listeners on the first day of 2006 by revealing he had been battling depression for more than two years.

After telling play-by-play man John Murphy that he had some things he wanted to say, Burris told the radio audience that he understood what Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy's late son, James, had experienced because he was battling depression, had lost his family and had considered suicide.

The revelation surprised Bills officials, who were concerned for Burris' welfare and believed it was a cry for help. They were unaware that he has been treated by a doctor on and off for about two years.

"Am I where I need to be right now? No, not yet," Burris said in a telephone interview from his home in Indianapolis. "But I will eventually get there. I am close to recovery and where I need to be."

He says working on the Bills radio broadcasts was a big help in getting him out of depression.

- Good for him to have courage to speak out and good for him he is dealing with it

Jeff Burris

He says working on the Bills radio broadcasts was a big help in getting him out of depression.

- Good for him to have courage to speak out and good for him he is dealing with it

Jeff Burris

628359[/snapback]

I second that.

As someone who has battled depression at a young age (and am still on anti-depressents) I know how tough it can be.

I also know it takes a real man to admit to anyone that they need help and have problems. To do what he did in the fashion he did it is extraordinary. Good for him x 100.