Someone please explain to me

GG

How the furor about DPW is not an anti-Arab crusade?

I've heard that the anti-DPW rationale is solely based on outsourcing critical US infrastructure that's a major security threat to any foreign entity.

Can someone please help me square these tidbits?

"Ensuring the security of New York's port operations is paramount and I am very concerned with the purchase of Peninsular & Oriental Steam by Dubai Ports World," Pataki said in a statement. "I have directed the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to explore all legal options that may be available to them."

"We're calling for the full six-week investigation. It's a serious investigation and the reason why this is critical is while maybe there's nothing wrong with this company, how do we know they're not infiltrated?" asked Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. "The United Arab Emirates has had people involved in terrorism. In fact, some of its financial institutions laundered the money for the (Sept, 11) terrorists. And to just blithely go ahead and treat this as another economic transaction is all wrong."

But on the news this morning I heard that NY/NJ is selling Tappan Zee Bridge to an Australian entity. (Deal will probably be formally announced this week)

Meanwhile, the pioneering force in infrastructure deals, Macquarie Bank of Australia, has recently upped the game's ante. Macquarie has been quietly meeting with New York and New Jersey legislators to pursue an agenda that includes targeting the Tappan Zee Bridge and New Jersey Turnpike, according to proposal documents reviewed by TheStreet.com.

I'm guessing a major NYS Thruway artery into NYC is not a terror target, or that Aussies are better to deal with.

ps - kudos to Mikey Bloomberg for standing up to the cackles

A raging Mayor Michael Bloomberg is lashing out at politicians who blocked the Dubai ports deal, calling the charge that the contract compromised homeland security "the cheapest political shot in the world."

"How the furor about DPW is not an anti-Arab crusade?"

"I've heard that the anti-DPW rationale is solely based on outsourcing critical US infrastructure that's a major security threat to any foreign entity."

Through this whole debacle - I am just amazed at the level of rhetoric about "Arab" controlled businesses being somehow different from a "Japanese" controlled business.

It's about $$$$$$$$$$$ - not politics. The movers and shakers of the planet are not going to let politics get in way of the $$$$$$$$$.

Ironically, the idea that port security could be adversely affected is a moot point anyway. Our porous land borders are a bigger joke.

Wasn't it only 15 or so years ago that the Japanese were buying (and compromising) America ?

Yes, I have to agree, this whole debate is full of hypocritical blather. I understand why folks have reacted negatively to this deal...it is a specific instance the folks can hone in on, but there is so much foreign owned infrastructure, this debate is about a drop in an ocean. What was the trade deficit last month 65.9 billion, 202 billion with China alone last year. That is how much foreign ownership of critical infrastructure was purchased in this country last year.

Pretty pathetic to argue over a few billion when DPW already owns a lot more in the U.S.

I wonder if these Politicians would support an apartment complex who refuses to rent to Arabs due to security concerns or restaurants who won't serve Arabs because they tend to blow themselves up in the Middle East?  I know it is stretching the point, but the concept is the same.

626640[/snapback]

You mean...like that woman who got fired in San Diego for having a progressive radio bumper sticker on her car. Her supervisor said she thought she might be a security threat...@#$#$% Got to use a real life example!

You mean...like that woman who got fired in San Diego for having a progressive radio bumper sticker on her car.  Her supervisor said she thought she might be a security threat...@#$#$%  Got to use a real life example!

626801[/snapback]

yeah that's exactly the same! Screw racial discrimination, we should all get together and protest the horrible treatment of Liberals in this country! So oppressed! Where is Cindy Sheehan when you need her. Yet another anti-conservative story the press can go to town with! I'm sure this woman was a great employee other than the sticker incident! By the way, I'm OK with banning Middle Easterners, the Politicians just need to be consistent and explain why profiling is OK with the port deal but not for anyone else.

yeah that's exactly the same!  Screw racial discrimination, we should all get together and protest the horrible treatment of Liberals in this country!  So oppressed!  Where is Cindy Sheehan when you need her.  Yet another anti-conservative story the press can go to town with!  I'm sure this woman was a great employee other than the sticker incident!  By the way, I'm OK with banning Middle Easterners, the Politicians just need to be consistent and explain why profiling is OK with the port deal but not for anyone else.

626902[/snapback]

Christians, Liberals, everyone seems to think they are being persecuted eh? :(

Christians, Liberals, everyone seems to think they are being persecuted eh?  :)

626985[/snapback]

And that, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with America. Blacks, Christians, liberals, paleocons, Muslims, women, doesn't matter. Everyone thinks they're getting the shaft.

yeah that's exactly the same!  Screw racial discrimination, we should all get together and protest the horrible treatment of Liberals in this country!  So oppressed!  Where is Cindy Sheehan when you need her.  Yet another anti-conservative story the press can go to town with!  I'm sure this woman was a great employee other than the sticker incident!  By the way, I'm OK with banning Middle Easterners, the Politicians just need to be consistent and explain why profiling is OK with the port deal but not for anyone else.

626902[/snapback]

Yeah, yeah...blah...blah, when law and order Republicans start obeying the law, there might not be so many victims.

I am afraid there will always be whiners...we get it from Canadians, ahhh Mum.