Great Start to Free Agency

Mopreme

You must not have read those 8 pages, huh?  Its a bunch of Skin fans laughing at how much we paid for Royal...comments like "Ralph Wilson really must have been asleep in those meetings" & "Well, at least Cooley will get to touch the ball more" & " goodbye to a subpar rb tight end with terrible hands".  Apparently he's a nice guy who keeps spirits high in the locker room but about 60% of those post bring up the fact that he can't catch sh*t.  I don't mind signing him, we just WAY overpaid for a guy who has produced this little.

625093[/snapback]

My take was that he's well liked (at least by those over 21 on that MB) and a good team guy. Yes, a lot of joking about the dollars ("no one circles the walkers like Bufalo :blink: ), but as has been suggested by other posters here, in all likelihood Royal's cap hit is in the $1.1-$1.5 million range the first two years he's here.

If he blocks as well as Marv says, he's a good pickup. Plus, if you look at his '04 stats, he looks like a good red zone option (8 catchs, 4 TDs).

My take was that he's well liked (at least by those over 21 on that MB) and a good team guy.  Yes, a lot of joking about the dollars ("no one circles the walkers like Bufalo  :blink: ), but as has been suggested by other posters here, in all likelihood Royal's cap hit is in the $1.1-$1.5 million range the first two years he's here.

If he blocks as well as Marv says, he's a good pickup.

625104[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I disagree with you about this being a good signing. I've come around to the signing of Triplett, and can actually say I'm happy about that. The Royal signing would have been a good one if it had come at HALF the price.

Fair enough, but I disagree with you about this being a good signing.  I've come around to the signing of Triplett, and can actually say I'm happy about that.  The Royal signing would have been a good one if it had come at HALF the price.

625106[/snapback]

Royal's cap hit will probably be about the same as Campbell's was--$1.5 million. So in effect, they've added a better blocker for the same $$$ budgeted to the TE position. Is he a "name" FA? No. Can he help upgrade the running game. Most likely. So I can live with it and not worry about candy and nuts.

Not according to the 'Skins message board.  But if it makes you feel good, go with it.

625069[/snapback]

Nice link, they are clearly all broken up about losing Royal. You want to know the story on Royal, catch the "Game of the Week" of the Skins/Chargers game this past year when it replays on NFL network this winter, then tell me how excited you are about the signing.

:blink:

Nice link, they are clearly all broken up about losing Royal. You want to know the story on Royal, catch the "Game of the Week" of the Skins/Chargers game this past year when it replays on NFL network this winter, then tell me how excited you are about the signing.     

625118[/snapback]

Yes, and that game appears to be the only one people on the 'Skins MB are pointing to. He had 6 drops for the season, with most coming in one game.

I'm hoping this contract (and most likely it is) is heavily backloaded, so he doesn't cost much over the next few years. Campbell was actually a pretty decent blocker so I'm not sure how much we really are gaining in that aspect. Those skins fans didn't seem to be in agreement about his blocking abilities, but apparently Marv is really high on that aspect of his game. Since the Bills haven't even played a snap under the new Marv era, and neither has Robert Royal I can't be pissed off....yet. Proove me wrong Robert!

Royal's cap hit will probably be about the same as Campbell's was--$1.5 million.  So in effect, they've added a better blocker for the same $$$ budgeted to the TE position.  Is he a "name" FA?  No.  Can he help upgrade the running game.  Most likely?  So I can live with it and not worry about candy and nuts.

625117[/snapback]

It's never that simple. Ask the folks who defended the Bennie Anderson signing last winter when a few folks who knew how bad Big Bennie was brought up the fact that he couldn't pass block and had a chronic penalty problem. By the quarter point of the season, EVERYONE knew how little his 350 lb. presence in the running game mattered when he was constantly f'ing up.

It's never that simple.  Ask the folks who defended the Bennie Anderson signing last winter when a few folks who knew how bad Big Bennie was brought up the fact that he couldn't pass block and had a chronic penalty problem.  By the quarter point of the season, EVERYONE knew how little his 350 lb. presence in the running game mattered when he was constantly f'ing up. 

625127[/snapback]

Sh*t tell that to VaBills, he still defends Bennie Anderson

Yes, and that game appears to be the only one people on the 'Skins MB are pointing to.  He had 6 drops for the season, with most coming in one game.

625121[/snapback]

You neglect to mention that he only CAUGHT 18. Pathetic. There are plenty of ways not to convert a third down, you don't need your TE dropping 25% of the catchable passes thrown his way. It was to the point where defenses could have let him run free and the Skins wouldn't throw the ball to him. A completely one dimensional TE is like having a RB who can't block or catch the ball out of the backfield. It's one less thing a defense has to worry about when he is on the field.

It's never that simple.  Ask the folks who defended the Bennie Anderson signing last winter when a few folks who knew how bad Big Bennie was brought up the fact that he couldn't pass block and had a chronic penalty problem.  By the quarter point of the season, EVERYONE knew how little his 350 lb. presence in the running game mattered when he was constantly f'ing up. 

625127[/snapback]

Ummmm, I believe for those fans who toke off of the Bills pipe no matter who they sign, kept describing Big Bennie as our new "Road Grader" last year.

Ummm yeah....ok!

Ummmm, I believe for those fans who toke off of the Bills pipe no matter who they sign, kept describing Big Bennie as our new "Road Grader" last year.

Ummm yeah....ok!

625146[/snapback]

Just like all those "experts" who said the Gandy signing was a joke. :blink:

Robert Royal sucks.  There is no reason to sign such a bum for so much money.  He cannot catch the ball, simple as that.  The sad thing is that the Bills will probably not consider a TE in the draft such as Davis or Lewis in the early rounds.  Why should they, with two TE's with blown out knees and a butterfingers type TE on the roster!

Why is Andre Davis in town, shouldn't it be Antonio Bryant?  Marv is simply too old.  Jauren is his B word, so he won't make any decisions on his own.  Cutting Sam Adams was a mistake too.  I don't like the prospect that the Bills will draft Ngata, boring pick and no playmaker.

624758[/snapback]

Royal showed with the Redskins that he is like, what Bubba Franks is to the Packers. He can catch the ball quite well but he's mainly used for added blocking.

Just like all those "experts" who said the Gandy signing was a joke.  :blink:

625156[/snapback]

Gandy played decent, Donahoe finally found a warm body amongst his reclamation projects(guys like Marcus Jones, Kris Farris). That said, here's hoping he's not the starting LT again next season.

Gandy played decent, Donahoe finally found a warm body amongst his reclamation projects(guys like Marcus Jones, Kris Farris).  That said, here's hoping he's not the starting LT again next season.

625191[/snapback]

I think this signing signifies one of 2 things: the bills are drafting vernon davis and will go with a 2 te set, eliminating the plm of royal being one dimensional, or everett is healthy and a phenom, and the bills will play a mainly 2 te set. either way, obviously, i see a 2 te set, and shelton probably going away. rb-mcgahee, te royal and davis/everett/euhus, wr evans and parrish.....this gives the offense enough options out of its base to be able to dictate to the defense, which is a prerequisite for success. enough with the gilbride/mularkey philosophy of taking what the defense gives.....this admin will play offense !!!!!!!!!!!

I think this signing signifies one of 2 things:  the bills are drafting vernon davis and will go with a 2 te set, eliminating the plm of royal being one dimensional, or everett is healthy and a phenom, and the bills will play a mainly 2 te set.  either way, obviously, i see a 2 te set, and shelton probably going away.  rb-mcgahee, te royal and davis/everett/euhus, wr evans and parrish.....this gives the offense enough options out of its base to be able to dictate to the defense, which is a prerequisite for success.  enough with the gilbride/mularkey philosophy of taking what the defense gives.....this admin will play offense !!!!!!!!!!!

625224[/snapback]

What the hell has Parrish done to be considered a number 2 WR in this league? He'll last about a week until a roaming free safety knocks him through the turf, or he'll just dive and break another bone. Jesus H. Christ the kid is a slot WR at best where he can get some favorable speed matchups!!! Whenever i see Parrish i think of that scene in the waterboy when michigan puts in their towel boy and he gets clocked going over the middle. I would love to see the bills draft Davis or Ngata in the first round and an O-lineman in the second and either Maurice Stovall or another guy who has the potential to be an impact WR with one of their 3rd round picks. Roscoe Parrish is not a starting WR in this league now or in the future.