Bentley and Shaffer

I'm pretty sure that with the money Cleveland had ($30M), they weren't going to be outbid for Bentley and Shaffer. Realize that by signing them this quickly, these were guys they targeted, and made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

And I was never high on Shaffer to being with. I'd rather put Peters at LT and sign a guy like Ashworth or Runyan for a LOT less than it would have taken to sign Shaffer.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know for sure is that we need O-Linemen

624538[/snapback]

Bingo.

And second, all we know for sure, is two of better one's are now off the free agent market.

Everyone draw your own conclusions please!

We need some. They are two good players that are now gone. We didn't get either one. That pretty much sucks. Will we get any that will help us? Let's hope. But god forbid, don't act fast, because for whatever reason, that means your irrational. It's better to wait and get guys like Gandy....you know.....a guy who comes at 1/10th the price, and 1/10 of the ability.

It kills me.  Upgrade the lines, but for God's sake, DON'T PAY ANYONE TO DO IT!!!!!

Why do that when it's obviously so easy to find diamonds in the rough that will play for pennies.

Either you pay em and build the lines or you don't and you have the Bills lines of the past 5 years.

624520[/snapback]

5? More like 10+.

It's been going on here in Buffalo since the beginning of the free agency era. This organization iust isn't willing to spend big money on the OL. Ruben Brown, John Fina, Joe Panos, and Chris Villarial are the only free agent "name" linemen the Bills have ever signed :lol: . Now contrast our historical investments (free agency and draft) into the OL over the past 10+ years with other positions - like QB for example! See what I mean?

Will this trend continue? It's only been one day into FA, so of course I don't know. But I do know that there was some free agent OL talent out there not named Bentley and Schaffer, and we'd be wise to talk to them now before it's too late.

Bottom line: until the Bills begin to respect the OL and - gasp! - become willing to overpay (whatever that means) for quality linemen, don't expect a playoff season in the near future.

Relax. Bentley was a nice dream. But all indications were that he wanted to go home to Cleveland, and they also had the money to pay him.

As for Shaffer, the Bills were never interested in him. Remember the reports that the Bills WERE interested in Jon Runyan? Well he plays RT, so the plan is obviously to move Peters back to LT and get a RT. And then go after Hartwig at center, move Gandy to LG, and play Preston at RG.

Relax.  Bentley was a nice dream.  But all indications were that he wanted to go home to Cleveland, and they also had the money to pay him. 

As for Shaffer, the Bills were never interested in him.  Remember the reports that the Bills WERE interested in Jon Runyan?  Well he plays RT, so the plan is obviously to move Peters back to LT and get a RT.  And then go after Hartwig at center, move Gandy to LG, and play Preston at RG.

624556[/snapback]

All indications are that Drew Brees was headed to New Orleans with HEAVY interest from the Saints, until Saban and the boys met him in Birmingham or wherever today too.

Do we even have that urgency for players at need positions? Apparently not.

Maybe Bentley wanted to go to Cleveland because of their level of interest. I mean, why would Spikes want to come to Buffalo? He had no ties here.

As for Runyan, ok great. He's probably still decent, but we do know that he is definately on the downside of his career. To me it's a lot less of a gamble overpaying a tad for younger, proven capable players, than it is moderately paying over-the-hill Jon Runyan and hope there is still gas left in the tank.

Relax.  Bentley was a nice dream.  But all indications were that he wanted to go home to Cleveland, and they also had the money to pay him. 

As for Shaffer, the Bills were never interested in him.  Remember the reports that the Bills WERE interested in Jon Runyan?  Well he plays RT, so the plan is obviously to move Peters back to LT and get a RT.  And then go after Hartwig at center, move Gandy to LG, and play Preston at RG.

624556[/snapback]

Well yeah, cause that's obviously the plan...

And what a great one it is. A second year center who has only played a few games going to RG. A TE who has never played LT responsible for JP's blindside, our current LT who hasn't played G making that switch, and an old FA going to RT!!

If THAT'S the plan, I will be sooooo happppy!

Well yeah, cause that's obviously the plan...

And what a great one it is.  A second year center who has only played a few games going to RG.  A TE who has never played LT responsible for JP's blindside, our current LT who hasn't played G making that switch, and an old FA going to RT!!

If THAT'S the plan, I will be sooooo happppy!

624565[/snapback]

Oh come on now, you're just being irrational. We'll get someone. Maybe we'll get an oversized safety to come in and play center. Our converted TE could then go to LT and then we can make Ronald, Robert, Roger Royal (currently a TE) into our RT, since Peters is so dominant.

No reason to panic. You're being irrational. The irrational comments last until we get to the pre-season and have 2 first downs by the starting unit in 4 "vanilla" games. Then the irrational comments stop, and the "It's only pre-season" mob takes over!

That crowd then last til the "We're only 1-3, it's early" crowd kicks in.

And to think, everyone who loves to OVERplay the cutsie DOOOOOOOMED card, doesn't really believe themselves when they are actually typing it.

Keep a cool head, you're being irrational.

624556[/snapback]

The ONLY way this would be acceptable to me,

LT: Peters

LG: Gandy

C: Hartwig

RG: Preston

RT: Runyan

is if it meant we were going all out in fixing the DL (and then using the draft to plug in the OL gaps...Preston at RG? :lol: )

All indications are that Drew Brees was headed to New Orleans with HEAVY interest from the Saints, until Saban and the boys met him in Birmingham or wherever today too.

As ar as I know, Brees hasn't signed with anyone, isn't from NO or Miami, and has never been linked to any particular team.

Do we even have that urgency for players at need positions?  Apparently not.

So because Saban flew to Alabama, that's the RIGHT thing to do? Did he meet Brees in the doctor's waiting room, or barge into the examining room?

Maybe Bentley wanted to go to Cleveland because of their level of interest.  I mean, why would Spikes want to come to Buffalo?  He had no ties here.

Betley is from Cleveland and publicly stated that he'd like to play there.

As for Runyan, ok great.  He's probably still decent, but we do know that he is definately on the downside of his career.  To me it's a lot less of a gamble overpaying a tad for younger, proven capable players, than it is moderately paying over-the-hill Jon Runyan and hope there is still gas left in the tank.

I said Ashworth first. I only mentioned Runyan to show that if the Bills were interested in him, it was to play RT, which means that Peters would be playing LT.

Oh come on now, you're just being irrational.  We'll get someone.  Maybe we'll get an oversized safety to come in and play center.  Our converted TE could then go to LT and then we can make Ronald, Robert, Roger Royal (currently a TE) into our RT, since Peters is so dominant.

No reason to panic.  You're being irrational.  The irrational comments last until we get to the pre-season and have 2 first downs by the starting unit in 4 "vanilla" games.  Then the irrational comments stop, and the "It's only pre-season" mob takes over!

That crowd then last til the "We're only 1-3, it's early" crowd kicks in. 

And to think, everyone who loves to OVERplay the cutsie DOOOOOOOMED card, doesn't really believe themselves when they are actually typing it.

Keep a cool head, you're being irrational.

624570[/snapback]

Ha, yeah the "dooomed" !@#$tards were doing the same thing last offseason...and it turned out we really were doomed!!!

As ar as I know, Brees hasn't signed with anyone, isn't from NO or Miami, and has never been linked to any particular team.

So because Saban flew to Alabama, that's the RIGHT thing to do?  Did he meet Brees in the doctor's waiting room, or barge into the examining room?

Betley is from Cleveland and publicly stated that he'd like to play there.

I said Ashworth first.  I only mentioned Runyan to show that if the Bills were interested in him, it was to play RT, which means that Peters would be playing LT.

624577[/snapback]

#1 No he hasn't. But Saban made sure he doesn't walk out of New Orleans with a contract offer without getting a chance to make a play himself. If the last words Saban gave to Brees were....."Don't sign a contract without getting back in touch with us first" ..........that would be good enough for me.

#2 Yes it is. I don't care if he met him at the Wal-Mart cafe over slurpies. Hell he might have pushed him around the sporting goods section in a shopping cart. Was it the right thing to do........oh, I don't know, but I do know he made his best play at landing a player at a position of high need in Miami. And he went all out, Theo-Epstein esque in doing so. Very cool if you are a season ticket holder in Miami, knowing that he is that passionate about winning.

#3 As a preface, I really didn't think we'd ever get Bentley. And an't argue with what you state on Bentley. Can't sell Bentley on how similar Buffalo and Cleveland are unless you get him here to sell him on it. Ask Joe Paterno at Penn State about how a little interest in recruiting can help you get back on top.

#4 I hear that. Sad thing is that we now really need Jon Runyan or Ashworth who isn't all that exciting either. When the pool dwindles, and you are really serious about upgrading your weakness, you are going to overpay in the over-the-hill pool of players or get no one at all. I would have rather overpaid Shaffer.

"Brutal?"  Hartwig is a good, young, up-and-coming center.  Gandy was decent as a LT and would make a fine LG.  And Preston would be better served at this stage at OG than center.

624579[/snapback]

Why are you arguing with this guy? It's a beautiful day, go enjoy it. Let the Chicken Littles have their day in the sun.

"Brutal?"  Hartwig is a good, young, up-and-coming center.  Gandy was decent as a LT and would make a fine LG.  And Preston would be better served at this stage at OG than center.

624579[/snapback]

Yeah, pretty much Brutal. Gandy blows. Seriously. He's a great backup. But cmon. And how in the hell would he make a fine LG if Chicago just let him walk away at such a low cost? And who wants "decent" at left tackle? I want dominant at LT. I don't know where everyone is getting that he'd make such a good LG thing is coming from. What's your basis for this? Chicago cuts him at a time that their line was bruuuuutal also. We don't even know what Preston is all about, period.

Hartwig, I'll take your word for. I don't know too much about him. So, let's say you are right on him......are we really that much better with Hartwig and Ashworth? Do you think those guys get us the 3 and 2 in late November in bad weather? I don't!

Yeah, pretty much Brutal.  Gandy blows.  Seriously.  He's a great backup.  But cmon.  And how in the hell would he make a fine LG if Chicago just let him walk away at such a low cost?  And who wants "decent" at left tackle?  I want dominant at LT.  I don't know where everyone is getting that he'd make such a good LG thing is coming from.  What's your basis for this? Chicago cuts him at a time that their line was bruuuuutal also.  We don't even know what Preston is all about, period.

Chicago's O-line and offense weren't exactly lighting-things-up. And as I said, Gandy was decent at LT but is a natural guard. And Preston showed promise when he played. He needed to add strength, which I'm sure he worked-on over the year.

Hartwig, I'll take your word for.  I don't know too much about him.  So, let's say you are right on him......are we really that much better with Hartwig and Ashworth?  Do you think those guys get us the 3 and 2 in late November in bad weather?  I don't!

Would Shaffer or Bentley, at twice the price?

624579[/snapback]

Just because Lenny P put his name on a list doesn't make him a good, up-and-coming center. If he was that good, the Titans would find a way to keep him. I've read their board, & I don't see anyone crying over losing him, they all wanted either Bentley (like everyone else) or Mangold in the 2nd (which would also work for me).

I think you may have to live with one unproven scrub in the interior OL (too many holes to fill in one season), but 2-3 would be tough, JMO.

Just because Lenny P put his name on a list doesn't make him a good, up-and-coming center. If he was that good, the Titans would find a way to keep him. I've read their board, & I don't see anyone crying over losing him, they all wanted either Bentley (like everyone else) or Mangold in the 2nd (which would also work for me).

I didn't see that LP put Hartwig on ANY list. I got my info on Hartwig several weeks ago (where and when did LP put out his list?). And no Atlanta fans were crying over losing Shaffer. Why didn't Atlanta try and keep HIM, if he were so good?

I think you may have to live with one unproven scrub in the interior OL (too many holes to fill in one season), but 2-3 would be tough, JMO.

Hartwig is neither unproven NOR a scrub. Same with Gandy, whose problems in Chicago were more due to injuries and lack of experience than anything else. Preston would be largely unproven, yes. Besides, who else is out there? And a rookie center wouldn't exactly inspire confidence.

Edited by MadBuffaloDisease