This is gonna be hard to pass up at #8....

Vernon Davis is a freak. He's 254 pounds and he ran a 4.38 40 at the combine. Think about that for a second. Only three wide receivers did better than that. Davis ran as fast on the electronic time as Moss, who is 5-foot-8. The Maryland tight end is a rare physical talent who merits top-10 consideration based on his résumé in college and his athletic abilities. He blocked guys in drills 20 yards downfield. In other drills, he was a second or so faster than most participants in a great tight end class. Who wouldn't want a tight end who is faster than a wide receiver and can block?

There is and gonna be a lot of FA - OL and DL lineman..... why not take this beast?

I agree with you - Ngata looks great but rookie DT's seldom make an impact right away. Davis looks incredible and can only help JP.

I , too, would like to see DT's signed in FA and drafting Davis at 8.

my 2 cents

Going back to the Willis pick, whether you agree with his selection or not, one of the things that you have to like about it was the strategy involved. Recall that our greatest need that year was a defensive lineman; however, the draft board was loaded with them early, so by the time we picked several of them had already come off the board. The scouts had 2 or 3 guys very closely ranked that they viewed as decent value with that first round pick. However, they looked at the teams picking after us, realized that many of them had already filled that DL need and rationalized that one of the guys we were looking at would still be there for us in the second round. Thus, they decided to roll the dice and gamble on greatness with McGahee -- and wound up getting one of those DL, Kelsay, they were looking at in the second round, just as they planned.

With TD gone, it is hard to gauge what the new regime will do -- and much depends on free agency and what players we acquire there. Currently, the reality is that we have so many needs in so many positions that you could make a strong argument for a DL (Ngata), DB (Huff/Williams), or a TE (Davis). We also obviously need OL help, but there is no player likely to be there at OT or OG worthy of the #8 pick if Ferguson is gone as expected.

I'd like for the war room to stick closely to their player ratings -- but I also hope our scouts and front office keep in mind the projection of what other teams are likely to do between the #9 pick and our second round choice, assuming there is no chance for a trade up/down. They should then draft the position player that has the greatest upside OVER the highest ranked player at the same position, who is likely to still be on the board in the next round.

Scouts seem to think that, while Ngata is the best DT prospect, there is little that separates him from, say, the 3rd or 4th best, who are likely to still be around when we pick in the second round. Meanwhile, Huff and Davis appear to be head and shoulders above other propects at their respective positions. Depending upon how our scouts have them graded, based on my own observations, I'd be inclined to draft Davis or Huff in the first round -- and hold off for better value at the DT position in the second.

Of course, with Adams gone and no bona fide starter at either DT position, the front office could panic, if they do not address the need in free agency. That could lead to the "safe" pick of Ngata in the first round. While I would not be mortified if that were to happen, I just wonder what kind of a rippling effect that will have on the quality of our picks in the later rounds.

VERY good post 2003. A draft must be looked at from multiple angles - quality, depth, and the degree a prospect stands out from his peers. Those who say we MUST draft this position or that position simply have no appreciation for the overall process.

If Huff is a Ronie Lot kind of guy, do you pass on him for Ngata who may only be marginally better then Watson in the 2nd? If you can pick an all pro kind of guy, you are nuts to go need.

Those who say we MUST draft this position or that position simply have no appreciation for the overall process.

620136[/snapback]

If my roof is leaking, I'll fix that before I invest in energy-efficient windows that will pay off sometime in the future. :P

Davis is too good to pass up. Only Mario and the Brick score higher on my personal wishlist for that first pick. Ngata is nice, but #4 in my eyes.

Think about it this way... we're not going to contend next year so why worry about plugging all our holes in one off-season? Plug the ones you can as best you can and do the same for the others later. I'd rather draft an impact TE and sign an impact S and DT then acquire a bunch of decent OL/DL/S/TEs. Short-term that strategy would leave us hole-less all around, but no potential to dominate anywhere. We want this team to be great in 3 years, not good in 1.

Meanwhile, Huff and Davis appear to be head and shoulders above other propects at their respective positions. Depending upon how our scouts have them graded, based on my own observations, I'd be inclined to draft Davis or Huff in the first round -- and hold off for better value at the DT position in the second.

This is exactly what I've been thinking/saying. I prefer Davis first (you gotta draft the physical freak) and Huff second.

According to the scouts he has bad hands.

619940[/snapback]

That's not true. His blocking is the one real knock on him, and not a big knock @ that. He's not a poor blocker, just not a great one. He's good, w/ room to become great. There's not a whole lot to dislike about Davis.

This is exactly what I've been thinking/saying. I prefer Davis first (you gotta draft the physical freak) and Huff second.

620165[/snapback]

Yes, let us not forget that Huff is a Longhorn, after all.

My hunch is that we will see Huff in a Bills uni next year...  I foresee DT being addressed before the draft, and during the draft.

620161[/snapback]

Not a bad choice. Now, if we do absolutely nothing @ all in FA or w/ any of our other draft picks to address the OL and the DL, then I think it's a bad move. I just don't think that will be the case.

If my roof is leaking, I'll fix that before I invest in energy-efficient windows that will pay off sometime in the future. :w00t:

620146[/snapback]

And turn away the "gift horse" at your door, no doubt. :lol:

Vernon Davis is a freak. He's 254 pounds and he ran a 4.38 40 at the combine. Think about that for a second. Only three wide receivers did better than that. Davis ran as fast on the electronic time as Moss, who is 5-foot-8. The Maryland tight end is a rare physical talent who merits top-10 consideration based on his résumé in college and his athletic abilities. He blocked guys in drills 20 yards downfield. In other drills, he was a second or so faster than most participants in a great tight end class. Who wouldn't want a tight end who is faster than a wide receiver and can block?

There is and gonna be a lot of FA - OL and DL lineman..... why not take this beast?

619911[/snapback]

I like the idea. While there are no real good excuses for the way the defense played last year, they could've been better if the offense did more. So, by drafting Davis, maybe keeping Moulds is not as big of a deal. If Moulds is kept, what offensive potential!!

I agree with you - Ngata looks great but rookie DT's seldom make an impact right away. Davis looks incredible and can only help JP.

I , too, would like to see DT's signed in FA and drafting Davis at 8.

my 2 cents

619918[/snapback]

A great line and a potent running game will help JP more than anything else. Let's concentrate on need.