Buffalo Bills Tender All RFA and ERFA

Pyrate

With the free agency period set to begin on Friday, March 3, the first order of business for General Manager/Football Operations Marv Levy is to begin the process of exercising their option to make contract offers to their young players, who in effect remain tied to the team.

By tendering offers on the team's Restricted Free Agents (RFA) - a player who just finished his third season in the league and his contract is about to expire - the Bills will be given draft-round compensation should the players sign elsewhere.

The Bills have the right to match any offer on a Restricted Free Agent they have tendered. If they elect not to match an offer on a 'low tender' then the team pursuing him has to give up a draft pick from the round the player was originally drafted. If the player was given a 'high tender' then the team that signs him owes the Bills a first-round pick or more.

An agent can only bring one team's offer to the Bills for a restricted player and if the deal is weak and Buffalo matches the deal, then the player is stuck with a poor contract.

Players with two or fewer years of experience who have no outside negotiating power are considered Exclusive-Rights Free Agents (EFA). Their rights belong to their club provided they are made a minimum qualifying offer.

Restricted Free Agents Tendered

Name Position Round Drafted

Sam Aiken WR 4th Round (2003)

Mario Haggan LB 7th Round (2003)

Josh Stamer LB Undrafted

Exclusive Rights Players Tendered

Name Position Round Drafted

Jabari Greer CB Undrafted

Jason Peters OL Undrafted

Jonathan Smith WR 7th Round (2004)

Shaud Williams RB Undrafted

The Bills have the right to match any offer on a Restricted Free Agent they have tendered. If they elect not to match an offer on a 'low tender' then the team pursuing him has to give up a draft pick from the round the player was originally drafted.

616717[/snapback]

I hope someone else signs Aiken before the draft. ;)

Those are all UFAs.

You re-sign UFAs, you tender offers to your Restricted and Exclusive Rights Free Agents.

616735[/snapback]

You caught me as I was correcting my last post...

What's that come to in terms of cap dollars?  And anyone know what the Bills rookie pool will be?  Clump?

616772[/snapback]

I believe the "rookie pool" depends on the draft slots of the players selected, so that won't be available until after the draft...