Sex Pistols Blow Off Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Rico

Well, the last time I was at the Tower in 2004, I saw Dylan who doesn't move around much at all these days but who has more stage presence than anyone outside of Jagger & arguably more. It's not just about theatrics IMO.

The drummer was very good, but so was everyone else... didn't stand out from the rest like say Westerberg's drummer. They should get better as the tour goes along, I was surprised to see several of them (including Fagen) using songbook holders in front of them (they turned the pages after songs). I'll be at the Warner in DC Monday night, a beautiful theater... last time I was there was for Morgan Fairchild in the Graduate last year, front row... yes she was shaved, no I did not get any pictures. :huh:

618535[/snapback]

My wife...Morgan Fairchaild...yea my wife...that's the ticket.

The Dan usually has sheet music when they play (a lot of their stuff is pretty complex).

Did Fagen wear his shades and bob his head around (a la Ray Charles) the whole time? That's his usual stage MO.

I've seen Dylan several times and while he was good, I wasn't blown away by his stage presence. I can't stand watching Mick, take that for what it's worth. His schtick makes me throw-up in my mouth a little.

When Van is ON, he oozes presence. When he's not...well...it's not very pretty. He's been ON a lot lately, though

The Dan usually has sheet music when they play (a lot of their stuff is pretty complex).

618546[/snapback]

Maybe that's the reason... I've never seen them before.

Did Fagen wear his shades and bob his head around (a la Ray Charles) the whole time?  That's his usual stage MO.

618546[/snapback]

Little bit... he wasn't spazzing like Joe Cocker or Taylor Hicks. :huh:

I've seen Dylan several times and while he was good, I wasn't blown away by his stage presence.  I can't stand watching Mick, take that for what it's worth.  His schtick makes me throw-up in my mouth a little.

When Van is ON, he oozes presence.  When he's not...well...it's not very pretty.  He's been ON a lot lately, though

618546[/snapback]

I've only seen Van once, back in 1987. He didn't do anything but stand in the middle of the stage, close his eyes, & sing... but he was larger than life because it was f'n Van the Man. ;) Fagen is faceless, I wouldn't recognize him if he walked into the room... I think that's a big part of where the difference is.

Just back from the Warner, my take:

1. I enjoyed tonight much more than Saturday night. I was 20 rows back in the orchestra instead of 8, & the sound was greatly improved (The Warner has better acoustics than the Tower, plus I was able to appreciate the stage lighting more being a little further away). Like I said above, I've never seen the Dan... they usually play the outdoor barns like Nissan Pavillion & the Tweeter Center, so this was a real treat. :D

2. Same start time: 8:15, 15 minutes after the ticket time.

3. Another smokin' night, no filler at all.(no static at all) ;)

4. Setlist:

Only 2 changes:

Teahouse was out, & Morph the Cat took it's place...

and only 1 encore Pretzel Logic... no Chuck Berry song

(which someone told me is "Viva Viva Rock & Roll"... it's on The Chess Box, I'll have to dig it out cause I don't remember it.

Highlights:

THIRD WORLD MAN (should've capitalized that last time, they nailed it again!)

PRETZEL LOGIC (of course!)

Blues In the Morning

Best new song by far is What I Do

5. DF wore no shades & no Ray Charles schtick.

6. The drummer was solid again, but (unlike everyone else), he didn't really get any spots... well, no spots for the back-up singers either with the setlist change.

7. No political comments by DF in DC... BIG thumbs-up!

It didn't stop these two assclowns in the section to my left... Right before the encore started, the band was temporarily delayed for about a minute (technical difficulty). He said something like "Are you tired?" Assclown #1 yelled: "Not everyone in Washington is tired." A #2: "Just W." ... met with stone-cold, apolitical silence by the rest of the crowd. :D

8. Friggin' cops everywhere on the Balto-Wash. Parkway going home. :blink: :fyou.

9. Two great shows... too bad the Stones played the MGM Grand Saturday & the Fabulous Forum tonight... wrong Coast for me to be on. I'll make up for it though next Tuesday at Radio City when I attend the Stones' Robin Hood Benefit. ;);)

10. I will be buying the hi-rez Morph the Cat next week. Been enjoying a lot of multi-channel disks of late, this should be a good one. :)

Just back from the Warner, my take:

1. I enjoyed tonight much more than Saturday night. I was 20 rows back in the orchestra instead of 8, & the sound was greatly improved (The Warner has better acoustics than the Tower, plus I was able to appreciate the stage lighting more being a little further away). Like I said above, I've never seen the Dan... they usually play the outdoor barns like Nissan Pavillion & the Tweeter Center, so this was a real treat. :D

2. Same start time: 8:15, 15 minutes after the ticket time.

3. Another smokin' night, no filler at all.(no static at all) ;)

4. Setlist:

Only 2 changes:

Teahouse was out, & Morph the Cat took it's place...

and only 1 encore Pretzel Logic... no Chuck Berry song

(which someone told me is "Viva Viva Rock & Roll"... it's on The Chess Box, I'll have to dig it out cause I don't remember it.

Highlights:

THIRD WORLD MAN (should've capitalized that last time, they nailed it again!)

PRETZEL LOGIC (of course!)

Blues In the Morning

Best new song by far is What I Do

5. DF wore no shades & no Ray Charles schtick.

6. The drummer was solid again, but (unlike everyone else), he didn't really get any spots... well, no spots for the back-up singers either with the setlist change.

7. No political comments by DF in DC... BIG thumbs-up!

It didn't stop these two assclowns in the section to my left... Right before the encore started, the band was temporarily delayed for about a minute (technical difficulty). He said something like "Are you tired?" Assclown #1 yelled: "Not everyone in Washington is tired." A #2: "Just W." ... met with stone-cold, apolitical silence by the rest of the crowd. :D

8. Friggin' cops everywhere on the Balto-Wash. Parkway going home. :blink: :fyou.

9. Two great shows... too bad the Stones played the MGM Grand Saturday & the Fabulous Forum tonight... wrong Coast for me to be on. I'll make up for it though next Tuesday at Radio City when I attend the Stones' Robin Hood Benefit. ;)  ;)

10. I will be buying the hi-rez Morph the Cat next week. Been enjoying a lot of multi-channel disks of late, this should be a good one. :)

619728[/snapback]

Rico, ya da man, once again. I'm seriously jacked now!

BTW, I've heard the album cover to cover twice so far and I'm very happy with the first impression. It will take a while for me to REALLY start to hear and appreciate it. But the early take is very favorable.

I owe ya a couple of drinks.

Rico, ya da man, once again.  I'm seriously jacked now!

BTW, I've heard the album cover to cover twice so far and I'm very happy with the first impression.  It will take a while for me to REALLY start to hear and appreciate it.  But the early take is very favorable.

I owe ya a couple of drinks.

619743[/snapback]

:blink:

I'm not really a setlist whiner, but the new song tonight (based on my first impression) wasn't as good as what got dropped... that one may take awhile to kick in.

I never got around to listening to the Sex Pistols.  Someone asked me how many albums they had.  I guessed 15... nope, the answer was "just one".

Is this true? The Sex Pistols only made ONE album?  It must have been fantastic.

619747[/snapback]

It was, & still is. Every song a classic. And if you're ever lucky enough to see them, they play them all. :blink: