Sex Pistols Blow Off Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Rico

Good, they don't deserve to be in anything that honors "Music" cause they didn't play music. Not saying that the R&R HOF is all that great but there are tons of more deserving candidates than the Sex Pistols.

Also not surprised they would do something like that cause the are "anti establishment". They probably would have been honored but figured "we can't cause then we would be hypocrites and it would go against our image of being rebelious" Learn to play an instrument and make actual music.

Was the letter also written in crayon?

I think it's funny that the spokesperson for the hall of fame said something like, "nah, it doesn't bother us at all...they're just being them....that's what makes them great!" I thought that was a pretty damn cool response

Good, they don't deserve to be in anything that honors "Music" cause they didn't play music.

612724[/snapback]

Um, it's called "punk rock." To each his own.

I personally think bands like the Beatles suck major balls, and I cringe every time I hear their lame-ass, overplayed music. HOWEVER, that being said, I can still acknowledge that the Beatles are one of the greatest rock bands ever - most likely THE greatest. Too bad you can't do the same...what a shame.

Speaking of Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,

Donald Fagan this weekend better play a lot of old Steely Dan. :doh::D

612756[/snapback]

You may hear some old SD (I have to wait until the end of March to see DF...so I expect a report). Caught his new album (now delayed until March 14th) in it's entirety (well, almost) last night and it was freakin' smokin'. Of course, SD (and DF) albums usually take a little time to truly reveal themselves...so they grow on me over time. It will be interesting to hear the new stuff in concert. Also, you are sure to hear him play some Ray Charles.

Um, it's called "punk rock." To each his own.

I personally think bands like the Beatles suck major balls, and I cringe every time I hear their lame-ass, overplayed music. HOWEVER, that being said, I can still acknowledge that the Beatles are one of the greatest rock bands ever - most likely THE greatest. Too bad you can't do the same...what a shame.

612760[/snapback]

I don't think "Punk rock" is Music

If people like them, thats their own opinion and I won't bash them personally, but what they played was not music.

Like the beatles or not, they could atleast play instruments and music (weither you think it was good or bad)

Give a couple retarded kids some instruments and they would probably put something together that is better then the Sex Pistols, but I guess that just my opinion

If people like them, thats their own opinion and I won't bash them personally, but what they played was not music.

Like the beatles or not, they could atleast play instruments and music (weither you think it was good or bad)

Give a couple retarded kids some instruments and they would probably put something together that is better then the Sex Pistols, but I guess that just my opinion

612989[/snapback]

"The king is gone

but he's not forgotten

This is the story

of Johnny Rotten

It's better to burn out

than it is to rust

The king is gone

but he's not forgotten."

- Neil Young

and no one is rustier than old Macca! :D

612989[/snapback]

Well, you're completely wrong. You can dismiss them because you dislike the style, but you would be wrong to ignore what they have done for contemporary music. The Pistols were/are outstanding musicians (not Sid, though, who couldn't play for beans) and in an extremely short period of time composed a collection of songs that not only still sounds fresh today, helped influence a ton of other bands and will ultimately go down in history as every bit as relevant as the Beatles. Were you to actually listen to the songs you would hear classic RnR influences from Chuck Berry to the Beatles and even the Monkees. The lyrics are loaded with smart, biting political and cultural satire, and paint a vivid picture of disaffected, bored, hopeless working-class youth. The fact that they self-destructed rather than play along with the bloated rock establishment fits entirely within that image of giving the powerfull and the elite the finger, then turning your back on them.

I'm glad they told the RnR HOF to go to hell. I only wish they had shown up to do it, taken a dump on the stage, and given the award to some homeless guy on the streets of Cleveland.

Well, you're completely wrong.  You can dismiss them because you dislike the style, but you would be wrong to ignore what they have done for contemporary music.  The Pistols were/are outstanding musicians (not Sid, though, who couldn't play for beans) and in an extremely short period of time composed a collection of songs that not only still sounds fresh today, helped influence a ton of other bands  and will ultimately go down in history as every bit as relevant as the Beatles.  Were you to actually listen to the songs you would hear classic RnR influences from Chuck Berry to the Beatles and even the Monkees.  The lyrics are loaded with smart, biting political and cultural satire, and paint a vivid picture of disaffected, bored, hopeless working-class youth.  The fact that they self-destructed rather than play along with the bloated rock establishment fits entirely within that image of giving the powerfull and the elite the finger, then turning your back on them. 

I'm glad they told the RnR HOF to go to hell.  I only wish they had shown up to do it, taken a dump on the stage, and given the award to some homeless guy on the streets of Cleveland.

613143[/snapback]

First of all, I enjoy punk rock music and I enjoy the music of the Sex Pistols. I refuse to believe however, that their refusal to accept this award was a genuine act of protest. It was completely predictable. Their anti-establishment behavior was interesting at their inception because no one else had the guts to do it. These men are no longer bored, hopeless working-class youths, so why are they still mad? They fact that they self-destructed doesn't really solidify them as some sort of symbol of a movement to me, it just makes me think that Johnny Rotten probably was annoying to hang out with and Sid Vicious was a drug-addict who couldn't get himself pulled together.

I believe turning the award down is exactly what most people who follow them would expect them to do, and therefore is in fact not the "punk rock" thing to do because it is predictable. If they had accepted the award, lots of people probably would have said they sold out. This is the eternal catch 22 of a punk rocker. The truly punk thing to do would have been to show up, accept the award, and then I don't know, say that they were honored. The Clash did it a few years ago.

First of all, I enjoy punk rock music and I enjoy the music of the Sex Pistols.  I refuse to believe however, that their refusal to accept this award was a genuine act of protest.  It was completely predictable.  Their anti-establishment behavior was interesting at their inception because no one else had the guts to do it.  These men are no longer bored, hopeless working-class youths, so why are they still mad?  They fact that they self-destructed doesn't really solidify them as some sort of symbol of a movement to me, it just makes me think that Johnny Rotten probably was annoying to hang out with and Sid Vicious was a drug-addict who couldn't get himself pulled together.

I believe turning the award down is exactly what most people who follow them would expect them to do, and therefore is in fact not the "punk rock" thing to do because it is predictable.  If they had accepted the award, lots of people probably would have  said they sold out.  This is the eternal catch 22 of a punk rocker.  The truly punk thing to do would have been to show up, accept the award, and then I don't know, say that they were honored.  The Clash did it a few years ago.

613216[/snapback]

I'd give the award to Ned Shneebly.

You may hear some old SD (I have to wait until the end of March to see DF...so I expect a report). 

612815[/snapback]

Here's my take:

1. Most important info: he started at 8:15, ticket said 8:00.. pretty close if you're running late. Played for about 2 hours.

2. The band was very smooth & tight as expected, the sound was great but could've been a little louder.

3. Tower Theatre is one of my favorite places to see a show, we had great seats L/C orchestra.

4. Didn't matter that the seats were great, as Fagen has zero stage presence (unlike say Johnny Rotten :D ). His vocals were dead-on, but all he does is sit behind his keyboards dead center stage and every now & then throw his hand up in the air (Kinda reminded me of that BS move that Drew used to do sometimes before he reached down under center :huh: )

5. Half the show was Nightfly and the K album (always forget the name). I used to play Nightfly a lot when it came out because it was one of the first DDD cds, had to play the 2nd one again on the way up cause I've only played it a few times... all the versions were spot-on.

6. Only member of his band that I recognized was Cindy Mizelle (sp?), who sang with the Stones on the Steel Wheels tour. She was very classy, pretty, sleek, & knew her role well :D , unlike Two Ton Fischer, also from the SW tour & still in the band ;) )

Setlist (I had to look up the new ones):

Here At The Western World

The Nightfly

Greenflower Street

Teahouse on the Tracks

New Frontier

Third World Man

HOME AT LAST

Snowbound

H Gang

What I Do

BLACK COW

The Goodbye Look

some old 40's blues song by Jack Teagarden (sp?) "Blues in the Morning"?

Mary Shut the Garden Door

I.G.Y.

PRETZEL LOGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

obscure Chuck Berry song

Good, they don't deserve to be in anything that honors "Music" cause they didn't play music. Not saying that the R&R HOF is all that great but there are tons of more deserving candidates than the Sex Pistols.

Also not surprised they would do something like that cause the are "anti establishment". They probably would have been honored but figured "we can't cause then we would be hypocrites and it would go against our image of being rebelious" Learn to play an instrument and make actual music.

Was the letter also written in crayon?

612724[/snapback]

Punk is one of the few genres of rock that created its own unique subculture which has spanned generations and that still exists today. Punk was a cultural answer to big-stadium corporate rock bands, like The Who, who some felt, alienated their audiences. Punk's musical form is a symbol of that counter-culture - basic three-cord theory combined with direct anti-establishment lyrical themes. In otherwords, they stripped music to its raw core to strike at the corporate power base that tried to take music away from its intended owners - the musicians and the audience.

The Sex Pistols - being one of the more "popular" punk bands (kind of funny to say that) - absolutely deserves recognition, but it is ironic that they would be in the R&R HOF given Punk's roots and purpose. Therefore, it wasn't simply anti-establishment for them to stiff the HOF, rather they were consistant with what Punk is about. Even if you hate Punk (I am not a huge fan from a musical perspective) the music's role in the evolution of music is almost unmatched since blues and jazz.

Here's my take:

1. Most important info: he started at 8:15, ticket said 8:00.. pretty close if you're running late. Played for about 2 hours.

2. The band was very smooth & tight as expected, the sound was great but could've been a little louder.

3. Tower Theatre is one of my favorite places to see a show, we had great seats L/C orchestra.

4. Didn't matter that the seats were great, as Fagen has zero stage presence (unlike say Johnny Rotten :D ). His vocals were dead-on, but all he does is sit behind his keyboards dead center stage and every now & then throw his hand up in the air (Kinda reminded me of that BS move that Drew used to do sometimes before he reached down under center :huh: )

5. Half the show was Nightfly and the K album (always forget the name). I used to play Nightfly a lot when it came out because it was one of the first DDD cds, had to play the 2nd one again on the way up cause I've only played it a few times... all the versions were spot-on.

6. Only member of his band that I recognized was Cindy Mizelle (sp?), who sang with the Stones on the Steel Wheels tour. She was very classy, pretty, sleek, & knew her role well :D , unlike Two Ton Fischer, also from the SW tour & still in the band ;) )

Setlist (I had to look up the new ones):

Here At The Western World

The Nightfly

Greenflower Street

Teahouse on the Tracks

New Frontier

Third World Man

HOME AT LAST

Snowbound

H Gang

What I Do

BLACK COW

The Goodbye Look

some old 40's blues song by Jack Teagarden (sp?) "Blues in the Morning"?

Mary Shut the Garden Door

I.G.Y.

PRETZEL LOGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

obscure Chuck Berry song

618465[/snapback]

Awesome report, Rico Suave. That is a GREAT setlist, IMO. (BTW, Kamikiriad is the 2nd Fagen album. Not too bad, but no Nightfly, IMO.)

You say DF has no stage presence. To me has perfect stage presence as I don't like silly theatrics in my musical performances. And Donald is ALL about the music. I always thought DF was very Ray Charles-esque on stage. Perhaps he's even more toned-down in his solo gig.

His drummer, Keith Carlock, is the nuts. Was the drumming noticeably great?

Thanks again.

Awesome report, Rico Suave.  That is a GREAT setlist, IMO.  (BTW, Kamikiriad is the 2nd Fagen album.  Not too bad, but no Nightfly, IMO.)

You say DF has no stage presence.  To me has perfect stage presence as I don't like silly theatrics in my musical performances.  And Donald is ALL about the music.  I always thought DF was very Ray Charles-esque on stage.   Perhaps he's even more toned-down in his solo gig.

His drummer, Keith Carlock, is the nuts.  Was the drumming noticeably great?

Thanks again.

618489[/snapback]

Well, the last time I was at the Tower in 2004, I saw Dylan who doesn't move around much at all these days but who has more stage presence than anyone outside of Jagger & arguably more. It's not just about theatrics IMO.

The drummer was very good, but so was everyone else... didn't stand out from the rest like say Westerberg's drummer. They should get better as the tour goes along, I was surprised to see several of them (including Fagen) using songbook holders in front of them (they turned the pages after songs). I'll be at the Warner in DC Monday night, a beautiful theater... last time I was there was for Morgan Fairchild in the Graduate last year, front row... yes she was shaved, no I did not get any pictures. :huh: