These players must be released

Poeticlaw

New coaching all around, new management, I'm sure a new o-line and d-line. How much more can you replace? Should we become an expansion frachise or something? You keep what works (Moulds) and get rid of what doesn't.

608022[/snapback]

A new OL and DL pretty much constitutes a clean sweep. By all means try to keep EM.

If Jauron/Levy think they are going to a cover 2 defense given the skills of the current safeties and dl and lb, God help them.

The Bills were a 5 - 11 club. They have a handful of players that hold interest to the winning clubs. Schobel, perhaps, and Evans, Mc Gee, Mooreman, Clements. Maybe Moulds. Other than the odd Stamer fan, I don't see many folks hopping up and down about the bench.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Player Pos. Counts agains cap cap savings 

Sam Adams DT $3,875,000  $2,125,000

DEAD Cap $375,000

Mark Campbell TE $1,537,500  $1,300,000

DEAD Cap $237,500

Mike Williams OT $10,813,764  $4,907,098

DEAD Cap $4,906,666

Eric Moulds WR $10,855,666  $5,522,333  $5,333,333

Total $  $27,081,930  $13,854,431

Total DEAD Cap $10,852,499

keeping thes players cost us $27,080,930 this year and restructing will only further the pain next year.       

Releasing all these players this year save $13,845,431 to bring in QUALITY FA's and afford us another $10,852,499 next year.       

Thus we could improve quite rapidly by doing this this year no matter how much we like Moulds its about the overall team Not one player.

And just to make a point....The NE Patriots who have won 3 superbowls in the last 5 years have done it with out a marquee reciever. David patten, Troy brown, David Givens no other team in the leaugue would make these players 1 or 2 on the depth chart most likely 3 or 4th. They have one because of the over all depth of the rosters with quaility free agents.

I think its time for the overall team to improve not only for this year but for the foreseeble future and we cant do that paying out that much money to these players.

607911[/snapback]

great analysis -- now lets bring in TO w/ cap friendly incentive-laden deal!

No, HERE is who needs to be released, assuming he doesn't take a massive paycut (cap savings per Clump):

Williams-$4,907,098

Moulds-$4,522,334

Milloy-$2,500,000

Villarrial-$1,781,250

Posey-$1,750,000

Campbell-$1,000,000

B. Anderson-$893,840

Shelton-$768,840

Neufeld-$672,826

Wire-$600,000

Burns-$538,840

That's a cap savings of $19,935,028!  Add that to the $6,474,477M Clumpy says the Bills will be under (based on a cap of $93,500,000), and it's $26,409,505 (give or take a dollar) they could be under the cap!

But wait, there are guys like Fletcher ($4,900,000 cap hit), Schobel ($4,566,666) Adams ($3,875,000), Evans ($2,280,065), and Gandy ($1,955,000) who they can and SHOULD restructure, to free-up another $3M or so.

Think almost $30M would be enough money to get new FA's?

608021[/snapback]

NOW you're thinking! :doh:

Moulds is the only one from your cut list who would be really missed, all the others are easily replaced with younger, cheaper, better players. THEN you can begin upgrading!

Lets face it...he is a freelancer who gets into the backfield.....get a stay at home guy and our interior defensive problems would be solved....

607962[/snapback]

yeah- on the 3 plays a game he decides to put forth the effort and isn't winded because he is 50 pounds overweight.

The Pats also have Deion Branch. They may not have a #1, but four certifiable #2s, including some possession receivers who can catch, is almost as good.

607914[/snapback]

No, it's better. Today's NFL isn't about feature runningbacks or even great #1 receivers. It's about putting more quality receivers out there than they have defensive backs. You pick who to throw to, so it's about your #3 and #4 being better than their #3 and #4 db's.

Nobody forces you to throw against their #1 cb, after all. And that's where a good qb comes in: reading the field and decision making.

NOW you're thinking! :doh:

Moulds is the only one from your cut list who would be really missed, all the others are easily replaced with younger, cheaper, better players. THEN you can begin upgrading!

That's what I was thinking. I'd also add Milloy to Moulds, but there are younger guys out there who could replace them for the same cap hits as what cutting these guys would save.

Player Pos. Counts agains cap cap savings 

Sam Adams DT $3,875,000  $2,125,000

DEAD Cap $375,000

Mark Campbell TE $1,537,500  $1,300,000

DEAD Cap $237,500

Mike Williams OT $10,813,764  $4,907,098

DEAD Cap $4,906,666

Eric Moulds WR $10,855,666  $5,522,333  $5,333,333

Total $  $27,081,930  $13,854,431

Total DEAD Cap $10,852,499

keeping thes players cost us $27,080,930 this year and restructing will only further the pain next year.       

Releasing all these players this year save $13,845,431 to bring in QUALITY FA's and afford us another $10,852,499 next year.       

Thus we could improve quite rapidly by doing this this year no matter how much we like Moulds its about the overall team Not one player.

And just to make a point....The NE Patriots who have won 3 superbowls in the last 5 years have done it with out a marquee reciever. David patten, Troy brown, David Givens no other team in the leaugue would make these players 1 or 2 on the depth chart most likely 3 or 4th. They have one because of the over all depth of the rosters with quaility free agents.

I think its time for the overall team to improve not only for this year but for the foreseeble future and we cant do that paying out that much money to these players.

607911[/snapback]

I think cutting Moulds is a bad idea. Restructuring his contract would help the everyone. Moulds is still a quality player.

I think cutting Moulds is a bad idea.  Restructuring his contract would help the everyone.  Moulds is still a quality player.

608201[/snapback]

Cutting Moulds is only a bad idea to the people who think that we cannot find another receiver. How do the other 30 teams survive? Moulds will be replace its inevidible whether its this year or next hes a short timer. Mind as well save his money now and build the depth of the team.

The point Im trying to make with Moulds is this:

I have very low expectations for this upcoming year. Most systems take up to 3 years to implement. Whether time is of essence or not the fact is that our team is getting old in key positions. My perception this past season is that Moulds really hurt JP losmans chances of succeding last year, I think he missed Bledsoe to be honest. Moulds was the biggest advocate to get Holcomb in there becasuse holconmp will throw him the ball. But I have seen him decline the last two years and really dont think hes worth 10 mil a year I barely thought he was worth the 7 TD signed him to. Restructing is only going to make it that much of a bigger hit next year. cut him now and bring in the free agent depth.

People are talking about catches hes the number one reciever on the depth chart and gets his number called more times than any other reciever out there.

Give other WR's a chance just not aiken or reed they both are not on my retain list either. All we need is a viable option which we could always get in free agency.

Cutting Moulds is only a bad idea to the people who think that we cannot find another receiver. How do the other 30 teams survive? Moulds will be replace its inevidible whether its this year or next hes a short timer. Mind as well save his money now and build the depth of the team.

The point Im trying to make with Moulds is this:

I have very low expectations for this upcoming year. Most systems take up to 3 years to implement. Whether time is of essence or not the fact is that our team is getting old in key positions. My perception this past season is that Moulds really hurt JP losmans chances of succeding last year, I think he missed Bledsoe to be honest. Moulds was the biggest advocate to get Holcomb in there becasuse holconmp will throw him the ball. But I have seen him decline the last two years and really dont think hes worth 10 mil a year I barely thought he was worth the 7 TD signed him to. Restructing is only going to make it that much of a bigger hit next year. cut him now and bring in the free agent depth.

People are talking about catches hes the number one reciever on the depth chart and gets his number called more times than any other reciever out there.

Give other WR's a chance just not aiken or reed they both are not on my retain list either. All we need is a viable option which we could always get in free agency.

608217[/snapback]

Disagree. Moulds is still a quality player who continues to make solid plays. Last year he wasn't in the right system. Now he has a new coach and new GM. Making Moulds and Lee Evans your #1 and #2 wide receivers is very good heading into the season.

No, HERE is who needs to be released, assuming he doesn't take a massive paycut (cap savings per Clump):

Williams-$4,907,098

Moulds-$4,522,334

Milloy-$2,500,000

Villarrial-$1,781,250

Posey-$1,750,000

Campbell-$1,000,000

B. Anderson-$893,840

Shelton-$768,840

Neufeld-$672,826

Wire-$600,000

Burns-$538,840

That's a cap savings of $19,935,028!  Add that to the $6,474,477M Clumpy says the Bills will be under (based on a cap of $93,500,000), and it's $26,409,505 (give or take a dollar) they could be under the cap!

But wait, there are guys like Fletcher ($4,900,000 cap hit), Schobel ($4,566,666) Adams ($3,875,000), Evans ($2,280,065), and Gandy ($1,955,000) who they can and SHOULD restructure, to free-up another $3M or so.

Think almost $30M would be enough money to get new FA's?

608021[/snapback]

I agree with most of these cuts. I'd like to keep Burns, so as to focus attention elsewhere. I'd like to try to squeeze maybe another year out of Villarrial, maybe at a reduced rate.

As for Eric Moulds: there's no way you keep him at his present salary. I think his contribution is somewhat overrated. Look at Bobby Shaw. When Moulds went down with an injury, Bobby Shaw stepped into the featured WR role, and piled up 800 receiving yards. He was cut the next year.

The Bills could find another Bobby Shaw receiver, at a Bobby Shaw price, and not lose that much production.

Then there's the Carolina example. Muhsin Muhammed was the Panthers' Eric Moulds, and Steve Smith was their Lee Evans. They ended up cutting Muhammed. The increased offensive focus on Smith caused him to produce more, not less. Lee Evans is a poor man's Steve Smith, so maybe the change would help him too.

I agree with most of these cuts. I'd like to keep Burns, so as to focus attention elsewhere. I'd like to try to squeeze maybe another year out of Villarrial, maybe at a reduced rate.

I'd rather get-on with the youth movement and replace Villy with Preston, and as I said before, make a strong push for Bentley and maybe an UFA RT like Tom Ashworth. And Burns could be cut at anytime so he's not that big of a deal. I just added him because I think that Gates could replace him at half the cost.

As for Eric Moulds: there's no way you keep him at his present salary. I think his contribution is somewhat overrated. Look at Bobby Shaw. When Moulds went down with an injury, Bobby Shaw stepped into the featured WR role, and piled up 800 receiving yards. He was cut the next year.

The Bills could find another Bobby Shaw receiver, at a Bobby Shaw price, and not lose that much production.

Then there's the Carolina example. Muhsin Muhammed was the Panthers' Eric Moulds, and Steve Smith was their Lee Evans. They ended up cutting Muhammed. The increased offensive focus on Smith caused him to produce more, not less. Lee Evans is a poor man's Steve Smith, so maybe the change would help him too.

Hopefully, but I'd rather have a guy in the mold of Moulds rather than expect Lee to duplicate the success of Smith.

I'd rather get-on with the youth movement and replace Villy with Preston, and as I said before, make a strong push for Bentley and maybe an UFA RT like Tom Ashworth.  And Burns could be cut at anytime so he's not that big of a deal.  I just added him because I think that Gates could replace him at half the cost.

I'd rather see Preston at C than G. It's unlikely the Bills will be able to get Bentley.

How will Evans respond to being the #1 guy? If he acts like Peerless, you can always acquire a Moulds-type guy later on. If his response is more like Steve Smith's, well, problem solved.