Carucci not sold on JP

Tom

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think passing judgement on JP right now either way would be short sighted. Before last season we knew he might be o.k. if the defense was great, and the offense didn't ask too much of him. The defense blew chunks, and the expectation became too great. The sad thing is due to a lack of leadership, the 2005 season was absolutely useless.

what's wrong with that? why are you so pissed at carucci for saying that?

I'm not sold on JP either. Anyone that IS sold on JP is looking at the situation with rose-colored glasses. The kid hasn't proven *anything*, except that he's willing to work.  You'd have no business being 'sold' on him. People aren't sold yet on Philip Rivers, or Smith in Frisco or the young kid in Green Bay. JP has bad numbers and a losing record and frustrated a lot of his teammates. So how can anybody be 'sold' on him?

Just not enough data.

606423[/snapback]

Good points and comparison with other QB's. I guess we'll have to see if JP has what it takes to win the job this year. Then the conversation may be a little different next year... hopefully

I'm sold on JPL being our best option for 2006, and he better get 16 starts as we rebuild. Based on how he does in those 16 starts, next winter we decide if he is the direction we want to go (I think so now), or if we need to do something else. But there are no options we have now to do better than JPL, and we have more important areas to address this off season while giving JPL the chance he deserves after what we have invested/risked on him.

I've always liked reading Carucci's columns, and I think he's one of the most articulate and insightful sports writers around. Between Carucci and Van Miller . . .

606518[/snapback]

Theres the shock of the century, given the article... :P

Actually the bigger shock was that you didnt START this thread...

J

Mularkey made a big mistake handing the team over to Losman. He subsequently lost the team, then quit on the team. It'll be fun rooting against him.

606439[/snapback]

Nod, trust me on this. Tom Donohoe handed the Bills over to Losman. Mularkey liked the kid, but was never sold on him as the starter going into the 2005 season. It was a flashy move orchestrated by TD. If Mularkey had had his druthers, the Bills would have gone into the season with Drew Bledsoe as their starter, and he would have had JP play when/if Bledsoe faltered. You can blame MM for a lot of things, but this was not his move....

NFL coaches are conservative by nature, which is why they are often reluctant to make changes, even when it seems they should be made by others. After the 2004 season, the Bills appeared to be a team on the rise, their only real question being Bledsoe and the O-line. If a team goes 9-7, and just barely misses a playoff spot, no matter what the circumstances, I can almost guarantee you, most would stick with the guy who they got there with, hoping they can tweak a few things here and there the next year, rather than take a complete gamble on an untested player.

TD is/was very PR conscious, and had a raging case of Steeler envy. Roethlesbergers' success as a rookie, I am sure, had something to do with the decision that TD made on the Bills behalf.

I'm sold on JPL being our best option for 2006, and he better get 16 starts as we rebuild.  Based on how he does in those 16 starts, next winter we decide if he is the direction we want to go (I think so now), or if we need to do something else.  But there are no options we have now to do better than JPL, and we have more important areas to address this off season while giving JPL the chance he deserves after what we have invested/risked on him.

606534[/snapback]

Yes, let's just spend ANOTHER season treating the season like some sort of training school to him. There are 52 other players out there. Let's just put the best player on the field and be done with this training crap. If the guy is the best QB then he will be a starter, anything else would be a waste in today's NFL.

But if you REALLY want to improve this team fast, we need Terry Tate in the front office. Made a stupid draft pick, you get slammed. Don't resign Clements, you get slammed. Hire Ronny Vinklarek...slammed.

:PLoL :doh:

Theres the shock of the century, given the article... :P

Actually the bigger shock was that you didnt START this thread...

606547[/snapback]

YOUR POST is the shock of the century!!! :doh:

In all seriousness, I admired Carucci's analysis long before the Bills drafted J.P. Losman. He used to be a local Bills writer, and I always remember his articles were a special treat. Few if any other local writers rose to his level. That's probably why they let him go national.

I'm sold on JPL being our best option for 2006, and he better get 16 starts as we rebuild.  Based on how he does in those 16 starts, next winter we decide if he is the direction we want to go (I think so now), or if we need to do something else.  But there are no options we have now to do better than JPL, and we have more important areas to address this off season while giving JPL the chance he deserves after what we have invested/risked on him.

606534[/snapback]

I also disagree with giving him the starting job regardless of his play on the field and the other person who agrees with me is JP Losman who when he was handed the starting job by the cut of Bledsoe based on his brief QB in training appearances he said that it was the wrong way to win the job but he would do the best he could.

To simply hand him the job for training purposes regardless of how he plays is simply the wrong way to build a winner. My sense is that a big part of the Bills D sucking last year was that the team and players lost their "edge" when they sensed that TD had decided to use the 05 season as a pre-season training camp.

What I call the "edge" only is a small marginal difference, but in this highly competitive league where the difference between the eventual SB winner getting blown out 31-0 by a Bills team they eventually blew out 0-31 in the final game, small mental differences in play make huge differences on the field.

I'd start JP even if he was not as good as Holcomb in the first game if his play in pre-season and the feel he produces in camp is good enough that the team seems to feel he has a good shot at being a quality QB before the mid-point of the season. However, if he shows limited mental progress or continued difficulty translating his very good skills into being a consistent winner, I would go with Losman and ask/demand that JP somehow show me some stuff in practice, as an ionjury replacement or in mop-up duty which forces me to bench Holcomb.

I'm not sold on Losman, but I think he needs to start this season because it's a now or never situation. He was drafted to be the QB of the future. He's put some time in learning how to be an NFL QB. I think there remains relatively little improvement he can have while being backup. He's got to play to get better, and the only way to know if he's got what it takes is to play.

With Kelly Holcomb, what you see is what you get, an old, not very athletic QB who makes fairly quick reads and plays it safe. As one commentator said, "He never saw a dumpoff he didn't like." A QB like that will win a few games, but he's never going to help the team grow into something better.

Buffalo does need to address the QB situation. Shane Matthews is probably going to retire. I don't know if one of the guys Buffalo has in NFL Europe has enough upside to be worth keeping around or not (Tory Woodbury and Craig Ochs). If not, then where does Buffalo look, the draft? (probably day two) rookie free agents after the draft? a value priced veteran? I don't think the plan will be to pay big bucks. There's risk in this approach. If Losman does not pan out, then Holcomb is not really a viable plan B in my book. The Bills will not get better as a Holcomb quarterbacked team. However, NFL teams always have to engage in a certain amount of risk taking. There's no sure thing. It's all about managing risk.

My sense is that a big part of the Bills D sucking last year was that the team and players lost their "edge" when they sensed that TD had decided to use the 05 season as a pre-season training camp.

The Bills D played well in the season-opening win over the (lowly) Texans. I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the Bills had lost that opening game, or even if they didn't dominate the way they did.

But the D sucked last year because of the loss of Pat Williams. The proof of that is how the Bills' defense played after losing Ted Washington and before they got Sam Adams, i.e. 2001-2002. The Bills' scheme requires 2 good DT's in the middle.

As for JP, handing him the reigns after basically half a rookie season, may not have been the smartest thing to do, but did we want to go through another season of Bledsoe and have JP miss-out on valuable PT? I think that once the decision was made, they should have stuck with JP, because in the end, the Bills won 5 games total, with 3 coming while Holcomb was starting.

Build-up the O-line with at least 1 proven great player (Bentley), add another solid OT (RT if Peters plays LT), and THEN let's see what we've got. And depending on what's going-on with Everett and Moulds, maybe add a TE and/or WR.