OT Ferguson vs DT Ngata

ans4e64

i realize that ferguson will most likely be gone, and theres a chance ngata will be gone too. However, stranger things have happened. So i pose the question.... If both are there, who do you pick?

I've always been a fan of D'Brick, and its clear we need the OL help. However, im going to have to go out on a limb and say ngata for one reason. I think that gandy did a hell of a job last year, and if we had to keep him there, its at a minimum average, i dont think relying on ron edwards can be called average, he was terrible when he was in and he's coming off an injury. Plus sam adams isnt getting any younger and all he wants to do is rush the QB. I would take ngata. thoughts?

If both of them are there, you have to go with Ferguson. Hands down, IMO. The problem that I see is that there are a couple of solid DTs who will slip to our pick in the 2nd round, but few if any "ready to start" LTs available in the 2nd. If you check out the rankings, after D'Brickashaw we have in the OT Department:

Winston Justice (Who was the RT at USC)

Jonathan Scott (REALLY inconsistent...plus the Texas O-Lineman connection will make Bills fans cringe)

Marcus McNeil (Down season for him)

Eric Winston (Still recovering, nowhere near his 2004 level)

Ryan O'Callaghan (Probably a better Guard than LT in the NFL)

So to me, taking Ferguson who instantly would start at LT is the best possible choice. Then in the 2nd, grab Gabe Watson, Rodrique Wright, Jesse Mahelona, or Claude Wroten to fill our DT void.

But I'm one of the guys who thinks that there is no way Ferguson slips.

Ngata. I'm a firm believer you build from the inside out. You win by running the football and stoping the run. The single most important position on defense is defensive tackle. I'm not of the opinion you need franchise type tackles to be good, I also prefer building an oline from the inside out. If both are available I'll take ngata. Brickshaw isn't really high on my list. I get it he's a tremendous pass blocker. To me he's just too finese and will be a liability in the run game.

I think Ferguson is #2 in this Draft behind Bush...The mention of his Name for the Bills at #8 is nothing but a teaze IMHO...

I'd still rather see The Bills Trade Down and stockpile Picks, but if it's Nagata...it's Nagata... And I'm definitely OK with a Big DT... no question about it... <_<

i realize that ferguson will most likely be gone, and theres a chance ngata will be gone too. However, stranger things have happened. So i pose the question.... If both are there, who do you pick?

I've always been a fan of D'Brick, and its clear we need the OL help. However, im going to have to go out on a limb and say ngata for one reason. I think that gandy did a hell of a job last year, and if we had to keep him there, its at a minimum average, i dont think relying on ron edwards can be called average, he was terrible when he was in and he's coming off an injury. Plus sam adams isnt getting any younger and all he wants to do is rush the QB.  I would take ngata. thoughts?

605421[/snapback]

It would be just plain stupid not to take Ferguson if he's still on the board.

I agree it would be a real long shot that Ferguson still be on the board for Buffalo. If he is, take him. If both Ngata and Ferguson are gone, Buffalo has a real dilemma. Their choices would seem to be: Take someone not at a real need position - Huff, Hawk, Davis?, Try and trade down when the market for trading down might not be so hot, Reach for a player who fills a need.

I agree it would be a real long shot that Ferguson still be on the board for Buffalo.  If he is, take him.  If both Ngata and Ferguson are gone, Buffalo has a real dilemma.  Their choices would seem to be: Take someone not at a real need position - Huff, Hawk, Davis?, Try and trade down when the market for trading down might not be so hot, Reach for a player who fills a need.

605537[/snapback]

Tough to see Ngata, Ferguson, Mario Williams all gone, with Hawk being a top 7 pick on almost every list I've seen, and especially with Cutler's stock rising and pushing him into the top 7 in a lot of possibilities (from an article today):

The Dolphins have been eyeballing him, and there could be as many as six teams among the top-10 picks looking for another young quarterback – the New Orleans Saints (No. 2), Titans (No. 3), New York Jets (No. 4), Oakland Raiders (No. 6 or No. 7), Detroit Lions (No. 9) and Arizona Cardinals (No. 10). Many insiders think the key will be the San Francisco 49ers, who will land either the No. 6 or No. 7 pick via a coin flip at the combine. If the 49ers get the No. 6 spot, the feeling in league circles is that they will be looking to trade down with a team that covets Cutler.

I'm very happy with Williams, Ferguson, or Ngata (in that order).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.