What should the Bills have done at QB

Orton's Arm

Using 20/20 hindsight, what should the Bills have done?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Using 20/20 hindsight, what should the Bills have done?

• Keep Bledsoe as starter, use would-be Losman picks on OL and DL
    • Sign Kelly Holcomb as starter, use would-be Losman picks on OL and DL
    • Sign Kurt Warner as starter, use would-be Losman picks on OL and DL
    • Trade up for Ben Roethlisberger
    • Draft Losman
    • Other (please explain)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep Bledsoe and draft a killer tight end.  Add one more offensive lineman and we would have had a Bledsoe offense that would have taken us to the playoffs.

604731[/snapback]

I agree this would have taken us to the playoffs, but how far could we really have gotten once we were there? Wouldn't it have been better to have traded up for Roethlisberger, and then not have to worry about the QB position for the next 10 - 15 years?

I agree this would have taken us to the playoffs, but how far could we really have gotten once we were there? Wouldn't it have been better to have traded up for Roethlisberger, and then not have to worry about the QB position for the next 10 - 15 years?

604884[/snapback]

Kind of a strange argument to me, seeing that it sounds like the Bills wanted and tried to move up to take Ben, but couldn't. So why even include it as an option?

604884[/snapback]

Well, as our line would be what it is now, what makes you think we'd know Ben was a good QB? Surely you don't think we'd feel confident with Ben's play if he had played on the Bills the past 2-3 years?

We have already drafted out QB for the future and his name is JP Losman.

You can't ask that now that Ben has won a Superbowl! Incidentally, even with Ben we wouldnt have made it past the first rd. We don't have gaps in our roster, we have a black hole called the Oline.

604937[/snapback]

I would hardly say that Ben won that SB. He did have a lot to do with getting them there, but the team won the SB despite his play that day.

604884[/snapback]

I'm from the play the season in front of you school. Or as George Allen used to say.."The future is now"

Well, as our line would be what it is now, what makes you think we'd know Ben was a good QB?  Surely you don't think we'd feel confident with Ben's play if he had played on the Bills the past 2-3 years?

604889[/snapback]

I felt the same way you do back when Rob Johnson was taking all those sacks. "Put him behind a good OL and see how he does," was my thinking. But then Boomer Esiason said something on the radio that changed my mind. He said that if you're a QB playing behind a bad line, you can partially make up for it by doing more to get rid of the ball in a hurry. He blamed Johnson for part of his troubles, and I think we need to see Losman through the same lens.

Can I be the one to post the cliche' in regards to Big Ben? "Hindsight is 20/20"

YESSS!!!

Don't forget, there were a lot of people on here who wanted Rivers. Would you put him up as an option?

Incidentally, who were the big names we wanted that year? I believe Udeze was one of them, Roy Williams too.

Don't forget, there were a lot of people on here who wanted Rivers. Would you put him up as an option?

604951[/snapback]

Not to pick on you in particular, but many of those who warn against writing Losman off after eight starts are willing to write Rivers off after zero.

Not to pick on you in particular, but many of those who warn against writing Losman off after eight starts are willing to write Rivers off after zero.

604952[/snapback]

Hey my reasons for disliking JP are my own. All I'm saying is, we should have trde up for Rivers as an option as well. At the time of the draft this board talked him up just as much as Big Ben. Did you forget what we're talking about?

I felt the same way you do back when Rob Johnson was taking all those sacks. "Put him behind a good OL and see how he does," was my thinking. But then Boomer Esiason said something on the radio that changed my mind. He said that if you're a QB playing behind a bad line, you can partially make up for it by doing more to get rid of the ball in a hurry. He blamed Johnson for part of his troubles, and I think we need to see Losman through the same lens.

604949[/snapback]

Still didn't answer my question. But, I'm used to that.

You missed the option where we invoked the "tradeback" clause with New England that would allow us to trade Bledsoe back to NE straight up for Tom Brady. Then we could have traded the 2nd round pick (#43, the one we moved up from to get Losman) to Seattle straight up for Jones and Hutchinson. And without the Dallas trade, we'd still be ahead picks, so in 2005 we could have selected Heath Miller, after trading down with Indy for their #29 pick plus Jeff Saturday.

Damn....TD sucked.

You missed the option where we invoked the "tradeback" clause with New England that would allow us to trade Bledsoe back to NE straight up for Tom Brady.  Then we could have traded the 2nd round pick (#43, the one we moved up from to get Losman) to Seattle straight up for Jones and Hutchinson.  And without the Dallas trade, we'd still be ahead picks, so in 2005 we could have selected Heath Miller, after trading down with Indy for their #29 pick plus Jeff Saturday. 

Damn....TD sucked.

604981[/snapback]

Just like you to state the obvious! Everybody knew this, yet TD didn't listen! :D

Still didn't answer my question.  But, I'm used to that.

604961[/snapback]

Actually, I did. I implied that even when the OL is bad, there's still a difference between a good QB and a bad one. Since Big Ben is a better QB than JP, he would have done considerably more to give the Bills confidence than what JP has done.