V-Coach Levy on Clements

ACor58

Sorry to all of those other NFL teams who were hoping to get Nate in FA...looks like they'll have to give up something if they want "The Playmaker".

602055[/snapback]

Yeah I was listening to a little sports talk this weekend and these Giants homers were talking like if they wanted Clements all they had to do was say so and POOF he'll appear at Giants' Stadium.

Yeah I was listening to a little sports talk this weekend and these Giants homers were talking like if they wanted Clements all they had to do was say so and POOF he'll appear at Giants' Stadium.

602060[/snapback]

Well hey...they can still have him, just as long as they send us their shiny 1st round pick in exchange.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Nate...I think he gets burned far too often and takes credit for a lot of things he's just generally supposed to do as a starting CB. Scanning over the FA list, there a couple of guys I think we coud sign who would step right into the starting spot, and save us some cash we could use towards improving our O-Line or interior D-Line.

602060[/snapback]

Good thing we never hear talk like that around here :D

Question -- that article states:

"If Clements is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, he becomes a "non-exclusive" franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs.

The Bills can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match."

2 first round picks?? Anyone know how that works? Is it just two total (i.e, one pick in addition to the one we already have)? I assume we would get the pick of the team that signs him, correct?

Question -- that article states:

"If Clements is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, he becomes a "non-exclusive" franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs.

The Bills can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match."

2 first round picks??  Anyone know how that works?  Is it just two total (i.e, one pick in addition to the one we already have)?  I assume we would get the pick of the team that signs him, correct?

602105[/snapback]

If a team signs him to that contract and the Bills do not choose to match, they get two first rounders as compensation for whatever team signs him. Say the Giants sign his franchise tender and give him a long-term deal, we get their first rounder this year and next.

However, the Bills can simply franchise him and trade him for whatever deal they can get, much like they did with Peerless.

"We would like to have him back and I know Dick Jauron has expressed the same," Levy said. "I think he's a talented player who can get better."

He better...

The deadline for the Bills to designate a franchise or transition player is 4 p.m. ET on Feb. 23.