DE's on this team

Frez

IMHO. Kelsay has not developed into the DE we all wanted him to be. Seems he can not keep consistent pressure on the QB when it's needed most. Aaron Schobel gets it done half the time but the other half he seems to just disappear on the field.

To me the DE spot on this team is a very glaring need on our team. Our defense would be som much better with a stud DE.

Remember the days of Bruce Smith? Hey, how about Bryce Paup? Paup had 17 sacks that one season under Wades defense.

IMHO. Kelsay has not developed into the DE we all wanted him to be. Seems he can not keep consistent pressure on the QB when it's needed most. Aaron Schobel gets it done half the time but the other half he seems to just disappear on the field.

To me the DE spot on this team is a very glaring need on our team. Our defense would be som much better with a stud DE.

Remember the days of Bruce Smith? Hey, how about Bryce Paup? Paup had 17 sacks that one season under Wades defense.

599984[/snapback]

it's not like a "stud DE" are easy to find........there aern't that many around to begin with, and most teams that find one wrap them up to long-term extensions before they get a sniff of free agency......same goes with CB's, although the bills are obviously looking to put that theory to the test!

that being said, if mario manages to fall to us at #8 the bills would be daft not to snag him......

599984[/snapback]

i have said many times that Kelsay and Denney are both backups and Schobel is nothing more than a solid #2 DE. (very similar to Phil Hansen).

If the Bills can get Mario Williams....which I doubt he will be around past the 5th pick.....Schobel's stats are going to skyrocket.

however there is no more glaring of a hole on the Bills than TE/LG/C.

i have said many times that Kelsay and Denney are both backups and Schobel is nothing more than a solid #2 DE.  (very similar to Phil Hansen).

If the Bills can get Mario Williams....which I doubt he will be around past the 5th pick.....Schobel's stats are going to skyrocket.

however there is no more glaring of a hole on the Bills than TE/LG/C.

599989[/snapback]

Agreed. Mario would have the impact this defense has been lacking. Fill the DT gap, which is no doubt substantial, with a FA such as TW, GJ etc. What a tremendous boost this would be, instantly.

Is the "Is Team" kind of like the A-Team? I used love that show....

Shoebel is in the mold of Phil Hansen, who is an adequate DE by himself, but when paired with the right DE partner, they'd be better together than they'd be apart. Kelsay is not that DE, but I'd give him another year b/c 1) he's been here 2 years; this is his make-or-break season (and iirc, it's his contract year so he'll have that extra push) and 2) we have SO many more pressing needs right now; we can draft a DE high next year if a solution doesn't present itself this year. And I think a change in scheme from JG's 'BLITZ EVERY DOWN!' will help out this D.

Paup was a LB in the 3-4.... but to be fair, he often was lined up at the LOS.

Is the "Is Team" kind of like the A-Team? I used love that show....

Shoebel is in the mold of Phil Hansen, who is an adequate DE by himself, but when paired with the right DE partner, they'd be better together than they'd be apart. Kelsay is not that DE, but I'd give him another year b/c 1) he's been here 2 years; this is his make-or-break season (and iirc, it's his contract year so he'll have that extra push) and 2) we have SO many more pressing needs right now; we can draft a DE high next year if a solution doesn't present itself this year. And I think a change in scheme from JG's 'BLITZ EVERY DOWN!' will help out this D.

Paup was a LB in the 3-4.... but to be fair, he often was lined up at the LOS.

599999[/snapback]

actually, kelsay has been with the bills for 3 years..........so does that make last year his "make-or-break season"? does that mean he's broke?

actually, kelsay has been with the bills for 3 years..........so does that make last year his "make-or-break season"? does that mean he's broke?

600002[/snapback]

Touche. I still think reason #2 is the trump card. So many other areas that need to be addressed, getting a DE would be a luxury.

I do think the DEs would/will benefit from the new scheme and adding a DT like Nagala(?).

2006 list of free agent DE's

Aaron Kampman UFA Packers

Anthony Weaver UFA Ravens

Antonio Cochran UFA Cardinals

Antwan Lake UFA Falcons

Brandon Green RFA Rams

Carl Powell UFA Bengals

Carlos Hall UFA Chiefs

Cory Redding RFA Lions

Darren Howard UFA Saints

Demetric Evans UFA Redskins

DeQuincy Scott UFA Chargers

Jacques Cesaire RFA Chargers

Jared DeVries UFA Lions

Jarret Johnson RFA Ravens

Jimmy Wilkerson RFA Chiefs

Joe Tafoya UFA Seahawks

John Abraham UFA Jets

Juqua Thomas UFA Eagles

Kalimba Edwards UFA Lions

Kemp Rasmussen UFA Panthers

Kenny King RFA Cardinals

Kenny Peterson RFA Packers

Kimo von Oelhoffen UFA Steelers

Kyle Vanden Bosch UFA Titans

Lance Johnstone UFA Vikings

Marcellus Wiley UFA Jaguars

Marco Coleman UFA Broncos

N.D. Kalu UFA Eagles

Orpheus Roye UFA Browns

Raheem Brock UFA Colts

R-Kal Truluck UFA Cardinals

Robert Mathis RFA Colts

Rodney Bailey UFA Seahawks

Ross Kolodziej UFA Cardinals

Ryan Denney UFA Bills

Travis Hall UFA 49ers

Tyoka Jackson UFA Rams

Willie Whitehead UFA Saints

Touche. I still think reason #2 is the trump card. So many other areas that need to be addressed, getting a DE would be a luxury.

I do think the DEs would/will benefit from the new scheme and adding a DT like Nagala(?).

600009[/snapback]

i actually agree - kelsay still may develop and we have much more pressing needs to concentrate on......but rebuilding the DL should be a priority, especially as we blitz less this year.......we need to generate more rush with our front 4, and a big part of that needs to come from the LDE spot.......

599984[/snapback]

If for some reason Mario Williams falls to us, I don't think there's any doubt we would take him, but thats not logical thinking. I think first things first, we need to stop the run, so Ngata's the pick, unless we trade down.

If for some reason Mario Williams falls to us, I don't think there's any doubt we would take him, but thats not logical thinking.  I think first things first, we need to stop the run, so Ngata's the pick, unless we trade down.

600017[/snapback]

Just about every mock draft I have seen has us taking Ngata at the # 8 spot. I watched him in that bowl game and I really wasn't impressed. Didn't he go out with a knee injury that game?

Draft day is going to be a little different this year with Marv at the controls. With Donahoe you could expect a move here and there but with Levy I doubt you will see that.

Schobel is actually a better DE than Hansen ever was. And if you look closer he doesn't dissapear for long periods in games like so many here seem to think for some strange reason. The RDE position is not only about getting sacks, it is about weak side containment, forcing the runners to cut inside. It is also about not allowing the QB to take too many deep drops and making him step up in the pocket into would-be pressure from the inside. Schobel does all of this with consistency against some very high level competition. The problem here goes back to the oiriginal poster's point. There's not enough help currently from the other positions along the D-line as Kelsay and Denney have both only been spot-players and our DT's are inadequate.

Schobel is actually a better DE than Hansen ever was. And if you look closer he doesn't dissapear for long periods in games like so many here seem to think for some strange reason. The RDE position is not only about getting sacks, it is about weak side containment, forcing the runners to cut inside. It is also about not allowing the QB to take too many deep drops and making him step up in the pocket into would-be pressure from the inside. Schobel does all of this with consistency against some very high level competition. The problem here goes back to the oiriginal poster's point. There's not enough help currently from the other positions along the D-line as Kelsay and Denney have both only been spot-players and our DT's are inadequate.

600028[/snapback]

I agree. In fact, some of you who have criticized Schobel have disspelled your own point by pointing out that he had NO ONE of merit playing opposite him. Thus, the Hansen analogy probbaly isn't the best. The fact that Schobel's been as productive as he's been, despite no real help from the opposite side of the line, speaks volumes about how good he's been. Imagine how good he'd be if he had a legitimate pass rushing threat playing on the other end! Maybe someone like Darren Howard or Robert Mathis.