How we get DaBrick

plenzmd1

What is your manlove relationship with "Brick". You say he has the best technique. That is great but what good is it against 3-4 defensive ends and linebackers such as Shawn Merriman who can overpower or outquick him.

He has not demonstrated anything to me technique wise as Senior Bowl practices only showed him dominant aginst the biggest bust of the 2006 draft in Kiwaunka. 264 lb Darryl Tapp took him to school in Senior Bowl practices and ripped his a$$ during the game between Virginia Tech and Virginia.

If Darryl Tapp who is nothing more then an outside linebacker and situational pass rusher schools him, what in god's name do you think real NFL players go up against him.

Plus I am not really jazzed that you won't be able to run to his side as he is constantly pushed backwards in run blocking.

By the time the combine ends he will drop to the 3rd or 4th tackle in this draft, you watch and see.

I agree with not trading up and all but if for some magical reason 'Brick fell to us at #8, believe me, he will be a Bill. People can take their measureables and shove 'em up their collective a$$es regarding this guy. He's got the best technique and footwork in all of the NCAA and has a high likelyhood of settling someone's blind side for the next 10 years. This is not a position of glamour, this is a position of getting the job done and he does it better than any in this class.

599881[/snapback]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the time the combine ends he will drop to the 3rd or 4th tackle in this draft, you watch and see.

600407[/snapback]

If he's not the fist O-lineman off the board, I will leave THIS board. There's a bet for ya!

I could care less about the friggin' combine. It seems to make for more bust picks than it does helping find FOOTBALL PLAYERS.

Your concerns about the running game are going to prove to be highly exaggerated IMO.

His pass blocking technique is better than any I have seen coming into the league in a long, long time. Good technique doesn't get you beat. That's what it's all about.

I suppose it made a lot of sense for Donahoe to pick Willis when we already had Travis and much more pressing needs.  Marv knows the importance of the QB position.  I'm not saying it is a sure thing he would take Cutler if available, I'm simply saying that many scouts feel Cutler is a hell of a QB.  Our scouts (and Modrak) loved Willis enough to pick him bum knee and all even when our needs seemed greater at other spots.  If our scouting department is really high on Cutler, and again, I really don't know if this is the case, it wouldn't surprise me to hear his name called at #8.  In terms of Roethlisburger, some would say we should have tried harder to trade up to get him.  If the bills feel good about JPL then this is a mute discussion.  If they have major misgivings, then don't be surprised if they consider Cutler.

599731[/snapback]

It made sense to pick Willis with the #1 because the pick (from Atl for PP) was like found money worth a gamble. If it didn't pan out you lost something you did not expect to have in the first place. He still got the player they targeted with the 2nd Rd pick. I would not be upset if they pick Cutler if they think that is the way to go.

The only way you do that is if you are TRULY convinced Mario's the missing piece.  That he's THAT much better than what you'll get at #8 PLUS two 3rd round picks.  That's just WAY too high a price to pay, IMO.  We need a lot of players and those two 3rd rounders should provide for two big bodies.

599873[/snapback]

I partially agree with this. This is a tough year to trade up, because this is a deep draft for OL. If the Bills do think Mario is going to be elite, they could maybe work out some kind of trade. But they should be trading away existing players or picks from the 2007 draft, and not the 2006 picks that should be allocated to the OL.

I partially agree with this. This is a tough year to trade up, because this is a deep draft for OL. If the Bills do think Mario is going to be elite, they could maybe work out some kind of trade. But they should be trading away existing players or picks from the 2007 draft, and not the 2006 picks that should be allocated to the OL.

Trading away a pick next year would be a 1st rounder, based on the present value being worth a round later. No way would I want to trade a 1st next year when possibly 2-3rds this year might do the trick. And again, if the Bills get an extra 3rd rounder for losing more/better-paid/more-talented UFA's than they gained, they'll still have a pick in each round, a top-flight DE, and all their picks for next year.

Trading away a pick next year would be a 1st rounder, based on the present value being worth a round later.  No way would I want to trade a 1st next year when possibly 2-3rds this year might do the trick.  And again, if the Bills get an extra 3rd rounder for losing more/better-paid/more-talented UFA's than they gained, they'll still have a pick in each round, a top-flight DE, and all their picks for next year.

600650[/snapback]

I agree trading away next year's first round pick would be too steep a price to pay for moving up just three - five spaces in the draft. Maybe the Bills could franchise and trade Nate Clements for a 2nd and 3rd round pick in this year's draft. Then, if your goal is to move up to take Mario, you trade away the 2nd round pick, while keeping the 3rd to draft a CB. Will the CB you draft be as good as Nate? Probably not. But if Mario turns out to be elite or nearly so, it would be worth it.

I agree. The # 4 pick, as we all know, comes with risk and a huge salary. I think that we can get an impact player at the #8 pick. The only reason you move up into the top 5 picks is to get a franchise player. An OL is not a franchise player.

599431[/snapback]

WTF ..????

A LT is "THE" Franchise player in the league... What about Orlando Pace, or Walter Jones ???

The Bills biggest and most consistent question mark for the last 10 years has been LT

I agree trading away next year's first round pick would be too steep a price to pay for moving up just three - five spaces in the draft. Maybe the Bills could franchise and trade Nate Clements for a 2nd and 3rd round pick in this year's draft. Then, if your goal is to move up to take Mario, you trade away the 2nd round pick, while keeping the 3rd to draft a CB. Will the CB you draft be as good as Nate? Probably not. But if Mario turns out to be elite or nearly so, it would be worth it.

I wouldn't trade Nate for anything but a VERY high 2nd and 3rd rounder that combined are worth the points of a 1st rounder, and really would rather see an outright 1st rounder. I think his being traded could factor into trading up, but again I think the Bills will get an untradeable 3rd round comp pick for losing Jennings and/or Williams (hell, they might get 2 picks!), which means that even if they traded their own 3rd and the Titans' 3rd, they'd still have a 3rd round pick, albet it at the end of the round.

WTF ..????

A LT is "THE" Franchise player in the league... What about Orlando Pace, or Walter Jones ???

The Bills biggest and most consistent question mark for the last 10 years has been LT

There are questions as to whether DF is truly a franchise LT or not. I'm not so sure myself, but would have a hard time justifying passing-him-up at #8, especially if Williams, Ngata, and Hawk are gone, as they very-well could be.

And if the Bills are sitting there at #8 with DF and Cutler still there, I'd work the phones, even as a scam, to make the Lions believe I'm talking to Arizona or Miami about moving into the spot, get them to bite on trading up a spot for an extra later-rounder, and take DF at #9.

WTF ..????

601186[/snapback]

It was a poorly worded post on my part. I was refering to this years crop of OL, and I include D'Brick in that statement.

Three years from now the player from this draft people will talk about is Mario Williams (and Reggie Bush, but that's not news). Obviously we take him at 8 if he falls there, and I would consider all options to trade up to 4-7, but I don't think any of those will work out for us.

Ngata seems like the best fit. If he is gone, there should be quality available in someone else. I usually like taking the best players over filling needs, but it would be hard to not address the lines with that pick.