Marv Levy as GM calling shots on draft day

OnTheRocks

Do you feel comfortable with Marv Levy calling the shots on draft day?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel comfortable with Marv Levy calling the shots on draft day?

• yes
    • no
    • i don't know

Lets not try to equate typing skills for intellect, thats why I have a secretary. I'm saying that Marv was here when we lost both tackles ,finishing J.Kelly career, and came up with Fina ....He was here when everyone in the world knew that we needed D-line(nose tackle ) help. People take the rose color glasses off .Marv doesnt know crap about being a G.M. nor did he aspire to be one. He is as un qualified as it gets he knows know more about personnel than me or you. Come with something more tangible than " Marv's a smart guy he will straighten this out crap when you have ZERO body of work to base this senseless comment on

600682[/snapback]

You have a secretary because you have no typing skills, or no intellect?

The old saying comes to mind, "Better to remain silent and have people think you're a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

The Dean can speak for himself, but I think we were both just wondering how Marv, who retired in 1996, had anything to do with drafting Erik Flowers in 2000.

But I don't want to confuse you (or your secretary) with facts - especially the fact that Marv is a former GM in the CFL.

Lets not try to equate typing skills for intellect, thats why I have a secretary. I'm saying that Marv was here when we lost both tackles ,finishing J.Kelly career, and came up with Fina ....He was here when everyone in the world knew that we needed D-line(nose tackle ) help. People take the rose color glasses off .Marv doesnt know crap about being a G.M. nor did he aspire to be one. He is as un qualified as it gets he knows know more about personnel than me or you. Come with something more tangible than " Marv's a smart guy he will straighten this out crap when you have ZERO body of work to base this senseless comment on

600682[/snapback]

Tell your secretary that if Marv has ZERO body of work as a GM, then her implication that Marv was somehow instrumental or responsible for losing tackles, not getting D-line help and drafting Flowers several years after he left the team, seem to be unfounded.

I think you need a new secretary.

You have a secretary because you have no typing skills, or no intellect?

The old saying comes to mind, "Better to remain silent and have people think you're a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

The Dean can speak for himself, but I think we were both just wondering how Marv, who retired in 1996, had anything to do with drafting Erik Flowers in 2000.

But I don't want to confuse you (or your secretary) with facts - especially the fact that Marv is a former GM in the CFL.

600693[/snapback]

Thats too funny, My typing skills are irrelevent in this case I see we keep focusing on E.Flowers ...why not focus on J.Fina when we lost our Pro.Bowl tackle where was Marv then ...what about very light Nose tackle J.Wright when we knew we needed beef in the Middle, I forgot Marv help get j.Lodish here with a 7th round pick. Telling me Marv was a G.M. of a sub-standard League tell The Bills Nation nothing. What the Hell Montreal has to do with the N.F.L. ? Answer nothing .We as fans must realize that this pick for G.M is troubling and to sit there with rose color glasses is setting us up for a serious fall. I'm sure you see that we have more V.P. movement at O.B.D. than we have picking coaches that to me is a serious problem and its due to Marv learning on the Job. I wish Marvy poo will help his buddy fill out his staff. For all the "Love" Jauron has around the league I find it strange that he is having problems selecting a staff. We are in deep trouble for the next two years and it will no one fault but Marv and Ralph.......Ralph for hiring Marv with no experience and Marv who hired his buddy that will put out a "learning on the job " staff that got him fired before in Chicago

Thats too funny, My typing skills are irrelevent in this case I see we keep focusing on E.Flowers ...why not focus on J.Fina when we lost our Pro.Bowl tackle where was Marv then ...what about very light Nose tackle J.Wright when we knew we needed beef in the Middle, I forgot Marv help get j.Lodish here with a 7th round pick. Telling me Marv was a G.M. of a sub-standard League tell The Bills Nation nothing. What the Hell Montreal has to do with the N.F.L. ? Answer nothing .We as fans must realize that this pick for G.M is troubling and to sit there with rose color glasses is setting us up for a serious fall. I'm sure you see that we have more V.P. movement at O.B.D. than we have picking coaches that to me is a serious problem and its due to Marv learning on the Job. I wish Marvy poo will help his buddy fill out his staff. For all the "Love" Jauron has around the league I find it strange that he is having problems selecting a staff. We are in deep trouble for the next two years and it will no one fault but Marv and Ralph.......Ralph for hiring Marv with no experience and Marv who hired his buddy that will put out a "learning on the job " staff that got him fired before in Chicago

600771[/snapback]

I think you have one good point here: Marv has never been a GM at the NFL level and there will be a learning curve...hence some concern for us Bills' fans.

As Marv wasn't the GM when he was with the Bills (despite what obie wan may think) it is unfair to talk about "his picks" when he was coach of the team. HOWEVER, if we decide to use the Bills drafting failures during the time Marv was coach to bash his ability as a GM, then shouldn't we credit Marv with all of the Bills drafting successes during Marv's reign as HC?

I really don't believe I'm looking at this through rose-colored glasses. I think I approach this season with realistic expectations and cautious optimism.

I certainly will not find fault with a man BEFORE giving him a chance to do his job...particuarly when that man produced at an extremely high level for this team in the job he previously held. As HC Marv was CEO of the on-the-field production. During that stint he lead the team to an unprecedented FOUR straight AFC Championships and four straight trips to the Super Bowl. Now he is CEO of a different area for the team, and i expect he'll approach it with the same skill and intelligence as his previous job.

Excuse me if I don't judge his performance in that job several months before training camp.

I think you have one good point here:  Marv has never been a GM at the NFL level and there will be a learning curve...hence some concern for us Bills' fans.

As Marv wasn't the GM when he was with the Bills (despite what obie wan may think) it is unfair to talk about "his picks" when he was coach of the team.  HOWEVER, if we decide to use the Bills drafting failures during the time Marv was coach to bash his ability as a GM, then shouldn't we credit Marv with all of the Bills drafting successes during Marv's reign as HC?

I really don't believe I'm looking at this through rose-colored glasses.  I think I approach this season with realistic expectations and cautious optimism. 

I certainly will not find fault with a man BEFORE giving him a chance to do his job...particuarly when that man produced at an extremely high level for this team in the job he previously held. As HC Marv was CEO of the on-the-field production.  During that stint he lead the team to an unprecedented FOUR straight AFC Championships and four straight trips to the Super Bowl.  Now he is CEO of a different area for the team, and i expect he'll approach it with the same skill and intelligence as his previous job.

Excuse me if I don't judge his performance in that job several months before training camp.

600873[/snapback]

But what will those expectations honestly be ....Marv dosent have Bill Polian anymore an experience G.M......... and who do we blame ......he picked the coach that can't get a proper staff . I say the expectations will be very low there is nothing about him that inspires to buy tickets ............I hope that I'm wrong but we must be realistic this wiil be a tough time to be a Bills fan. My expectation this season is that we will again get a top 10 pick and Marv and Ralph will be the blame..........Marv for chosing a substandard coach who cant get a staff together and Ralph for being cheap by hiring Marv

I can't believe a majority of people answered "YES" to this.

There's more to scouting players than getting good character guys.

Let the scouts and Modrak call the shots, and let Marv ask his Marvelous questions, which will help reach consensus.

But to give Levy veto power and final say is a major mistake. By his own admission he's not a big college personnel guy.

And 67% of us don't care?

Pffft.

Let the scouts and Modrak call the shots, and let Marv ask his Marvelous questions, which will help reach consensus.

But to give Levy veto power and final say is a major mistake. By his own admission he's not a big college personnel guy.

Pffft.

601028[/snapback]

You can bet the GM (Levy) will have veto power and the final say. As he is the GM, that is how it must be, IMO. Marv is a smart guy and will listen to those who have knowledge...then he'll make a decision.

Pffft.

601028[/snapback]

I know how you feel, but it is hard for me (and perhaps others) to imagine things being worse than it was under TD.

From Mike "Fats Domino" Williams, to Roscoe "Bettlejuice" Parrish, TD has either traded away or squandered our precious early draft picks. I am literally certain that there are posters on TSW that could have done a much better job of drafting good football players than did TD.

No, I am not thrilled by 2 men who will total 168 years of age or so controlling the draft for the Bills. How could I be?

That said, TD was a complete mess on draft day for the Buffalo Bills Football Team. All we can do is hope.