Interesting SI.com article mentions VINCENT

merlin

7 NFL Veterans who deserve Bettis treatment

.... mention Troy Vincent as one of the 7 "deserving" vets.

Last paragraph on the first page:

"Troy Vincent. Like Bettis, the Bills safety is an intelligent, eminently cooperative soul who has spent most of his career as a key player on good teams (Dolphins, Eagles). But Vincent was essentially priced out of Philly just before the Eagles finally got over their NFC Championship game hump, and now the 34-year-old will have to start all over with a new coach in Dick Jauron. With 47 career interceptions and innumerable big plays over the years, the former cornerback has been one of the best and most under-hyped players of his era. Put him in the national spotlight and he'd be hotter than the Buffalo wings at a frat-house Super Bowl party."

7 NFL Veterans who deserve Bettis treatment

.... mention Troy Vincent as one of the 7 "deserving" vets.

Last paragraph on the first page:

"Troy Vincent. Like Bettis, the Bills safety is an intelligent, eminently cooperative soul who has spent most of his career as a key player on good teams (Dolphins, Eagles). But Vincent was essentially priced out of Philly just before the Eagles finally got over their NFC Championship game hump, and now the 34-year-old will have to start all over with a new coach in Dick Jauron. With 47 career interceptions and innumerable big plays over the years, the former cornerback has been one of the best and most under-hyped players of his era. Put him in the national spotlight and he'd be hotter than the Buffalo wings at a frat-house Super Bowl party."

597686[/snapback]

I agree.

Quite frankly i'm pretty sick and tired of everybody saying he's washed up and needs to be thrown off to the side.

I saw him make quite a few plays last season. There were a couple games where I thought, "Man, Troy Vincent is all over the field!". Of course he got burned a bunch. Everyone in our secondary did.

That's what happens when you can't rush the passer and he has all day to pick his spots.

Troy Vincent was a step or two slow this year.

It showed.

I agree.

Quite frankly i'm pretty sick and tired of everybody saying he's washed up and needs to be thrown off to the side.

I saw him make quite a few plays last season. There were a couple games where I thought, "Man, Troy Vincent is all over the field!". Of course he got burned a bunch. Everyone in our secondary did.

That's what happens when you can't rush the passer and he has all day to pick his spots.

597688[/snapback]

Troy Vincent was a step or two slow this year. 

It showed.

597731[/snapback]

I think that is nuts. He was a step or two slower, because he is playing a position that requires more "read and recognition" than playing the corner. If we were to lose Clements, I would feel very comfortable going with Vincent at the corner position again.

I respectfully disagree.

Vincent as anything other than a 3rd or 4th corner would be scary. Very scary.

I think that is nuts. He was a step or two slower, because he is playing a position that requires more "read and recognition" than playing the corner.  If we were to lose Clements, I would feel very comfortable going with Vincent at the corner position again.

597749[/snapback]

I thought Vincent was one of our worst defensive players on the field last year. There were tons of plays where he was supposed to be giving help and was always about 2 seconds late resulting in a big play. He seemed to have trouble timing his jumps and finding the ball in the air too. Seems like a good guy but if he's gone I won't loose any sleep over it.

I think that is nuts. He was a step or two slower, because he is playing a position that requires more "read and recognition" than playing the corner.  If we were to lose Clements, I would feel very comfortable going with Vincent at the corner position again.

597749[/snapback]

How is that nuts? Vincent was consistently late getting over on deep help and is the worst tackler on the D. I don't know if he's washed up or just hasn't made a solid transition to S, either way he's a weak link on the D.

It would be even more of a disaster putting him in as a stating corner.

Rod Woodson, when he transitioned to safety, was still a solid tackler and still had great instincts.

Troy Vincent, when he transitioned to safety, has been a horrible tackler and seems to have no instincts at the safety position.

How is that nuts?  Vincent was consistently late getting over on deep help and is the worst tackler on the D.  I don't know if he's washed up or just hasn't made a solid transition to S, either way he's a weak link on the D.

597797[/snapback]