Who's the greatest Bills Rb of all-time?

OJ, but not by much.

1. OJ profited from the Electric Company's blocking.

2. Thurman may have beat OJ in all-purpose yards with the Electric Company in OJ's era.

3. Hull-Ritcher-Ballard etc could have done the same for OJ in OJ's era.

597809[/snapback]

#2--..different league back then.Thurman woulda been a good runner--but the no-huddle opened up a LOT for him. Thurman MAY have gotten 1000 yds rushing in a full season in the 70s.-with perhaps 4-500 yds receiving. The O back then was traditional drop back w/ long downfield passing to the receivers..not the madcap--wide open---exhaust the defense offense which was run by Kelly.Thurman was perfect for the no-huddle with his great hands and the ability to wait in blocks. OJ woulda gained 3000 total yds in a healthy seasson with 16 games in Kellys offense.It would a been like Bush at USC this year---just running wild.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job tb!  I remember Carlton.  I believe he lined up in the FB spot.

To this day I remember the Chiefs Bobby Bell clipping on a return which began the route, 35-10; 31-10; something like that.  Did Carlton wear 34?

597945[/snapback]

Nope Cookie wore 34. I know that because I wore number 34 in high school. Believe me the talent sure didn't come with the number.

Guest BackInDaDay
Nope Cookie wore 34.  I know that because I wore number 34 in high school.  Believe me the talent sure didn't come with the number.

598164[/snapback]

:(

It is not even close... OJ was one of the best there ever was... he is the football Roy Hobbs. Every time he touched the ball, you were waiting for the explosion. I have only seen one other player that had that same ability and that was Barry Sanders. Any play could be a 60 yard run. You just never knew.

Jim Brown was the only other running back that I saw that compared (never saw Gale Sayers enough to rate), but Brown woud consistently turn a 3 yard gain into an 8 yard gain with a twist and a shoulder into the tackler. He was not that guy that suddenly made the move, was free and exploded into the defensive backfield.

OJ combined world class speed, pure shifty moves and strength to break a tackle. Been no one like him that combined those attributes. Let the slasher jokes begin.

OJ is one of the worst human beings to play football, but as far as I know, he's the only man in NFL history to rush for over 2000 yards through 14 games. He's obviously the best pure runner the Bills have ever had.

I'm surprised at the disrespect for McGahee. He didn't get carries or blocking, and he often faced eight or nine men in the box. Yet he still finished with over 1000 yards.

OJ's off-the-field problems have since clouded over what a great RB he was. Indeed, he was probably a top 5 all time RB. Like Jim Brown, every defender on the field knew that he was going to get the ball -- and they still couldn't stop him.

Not to take anything away from Thurman, who did everything quite well -- and was probably the finest "Jack of All Trades" to ever play the position.

OJ was the best RB in Bills history and may have been the best RB in football history. However there is a lot to be said for the TEAM he ran for in his hey day. Few remember that his first two years here were busts as the coach (Rauch?) wanted him to play flankerback and run back punts. He was considering retiring until Saban came in and focused COMPLETELY on building an offensive line and running game. A recent interview with JD Hill (a very good receiver) quoted Hill as Saban telling him he didn't care if he could catch passes he wanted to Hill to know that all receivers had to BLOCK more than anything else because he was going to run the ball. When OJ was OJ everyone on the team was focused on making OJ OJ. And the Juice knew that. You couldn't interview him without him talking about the line and the folks who blocked for him. Willis has certainly never had that, and if ML does fix the O-line we might be talking about Willis

A recent interview with JD Hill (a very good receiver) quoted Hill as Saban telling him he didn't care if he could catch passes he wanted to Hill to know that all receivers had to BLOCK more than anything else because he was going to run the ball.

599275[/snapback]

JD Hill was a fine receiver too. IIRC, Amhad Rashad (formerly known as the player called Bobby Moore :lol: ), got the boot in favor of Bobby Chandler because he wasn't enamoured of blocking.

Guest BackInDaDay

Not that he was the best, but I'm trying to think of the name of one of our past FBs. Does Enhard or Enghard ring any bells? He was a tough lead blocker. His first name was Bill or Phil.

OJ is one of the worst human beings to play football, but as far as I know, he's the only man in NFL history to rush for over 2000 yards through 14 games. He's obviously the best pure runner the Bills have ever had.

I'm surprised at the disrespect for McGahee. He didn't get carries or blocking, and he often faced eight or nine men in the box. Yet he still finished with over 1000 yards.

599255[/snapback]

Yes, McGahee has proved that he could gain over 1000 yards rushing even with the o-line as bad as it has been. But this year will be the true test to see how good of a Rb he really is. So far I've seen the he has an unbelievable and he very strong. So it's a start. :lol:

599255[/snapback]

True, but Barry Sanders did also run for 2000 in a 14 game span, as he ran for 56 yards total in the first two games of 97 and busted out 2000 in the final 14 games.