We're Not in Lake Wobegon Anymore

UConn James

I think that MANY members of this board, both right, moderate, and left, would highly support a Colin Powell candidacy. I for one would be in that support column... it's too bad he won't run.

44496[/snapback]

I'd be with you on that. The man has a far better understanding of foreign policy than either of the pinheads running now, I believe...

I actually met him when he came aboard the ship for an all-hands call. It is very hard to judge someone when you are amidst so many other high-ranking officers.

I think that MANY members of this board, both right, moderate, and left, would highly support a Colin Powell candidacy. I for one would be in that support column... it's too bad he won't run.

44496[/snapback]

I don't know if I would. I'd have to hear exactly what HIS positions are on the issues. Being where he is, he tows the company line even though it was said quite often that he disagreed with decisions that were made, tho he always denied this. Re-read the comment Keillor made in his last paragraph about people who stand by and say nothing....

And it's also too bad that if Bush is back in the White House, any moderating forces like Powell isn't going to be asked back. That's how much of a Yes-man environment Bush wants and isn't good for the functioning of any organization --- See: NASA. They're also saying Rumsfeld will fade to black and Wolfowitz will take the post, which doesn't really comfort me any.

I don't know if I would. I'd have to hear exactly what HIS positions are on the issues. Being where he is, he tows the company line even though it was said quite often that he disagreed with decisions that were made, tho he always denied this. Re-read the comment Keillor made in his last paragraph about people who stand by and say nothing....

And it's also too bad that if Bush is back in the White House, any moderating forces like Powell isn't going to be asked back. That's how much of a Yes-man environment Bush wants and isn't good for the functioning of any organization --- See: NASA. They're also saying Rumsfeld will fade to black and Wolfowitz will take the post, which doesn't really comfort me any.

45032[/snapback]

And who exactly would Kerry bring in?

I shudder at the thought of a McAulliffe or Carville or whoever the new lib attack dog is nowadays trying to deal with Islamic extremism. Their plan would be to tax them to death I'm sure.

Though I dislike Bush's overspending, at least he cut taxes. That's a step in the right direction.

At this point i'm voting for W. I haven't voted for a major party candidate since I turned 18. It's always been a third party candidate. But I'm voting for W this year because the thought of a Ted Kennedy clone in the white house terrifies me.

I'd be with you on that.  The man has a far better understanding of foreign policy than either of the pinheads running now, I believe...

44558[/snapback]

You don't think he'll run in '08? Whether Bush wins or loses this time around, the Republicans have to have somebody new in 2008. Probably another Bush.

You don't think he'll run in '08?  Whether Bush wins or loses this time around, the Republicans have to have somebody new in 2008.  Probably another Bush.

45327[/snapback]

I don't think Powell will run at all. I've just never had any sort of impression that he desires an elected position at all (can't say I blame him, either...I think anyone who wants to be chosen to shoulder the blame for everything in the world is clinically insane).

In '08...I don't know, maybe Jeb Bush? Wouldn't that be something...a Jeb Bush vs. Hillary Clinton election (presuming, of course, that she runs). Presuming Kerry loses (Which is looking more and more likely, I think), that would mean from 1988 to 2012 we'd have been ruled by either Bushes or Clintons. I know there's a lot of presumption in that...but not so much that I still dont' shudder at the thought... <_<