WORST CALL THAT WENT AGAINST SEATTLE?

Which Call Against Seattle Was the Worst?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Which Call Against Seattle Was the Worst?

• Rothlesberger TD when Ball was Down Before Goal Line
    • Push-Off By Ingram which Nullified Seattle TD
    • Holding Call Nullifying Seattle's 1st & Goal from the 2
    • Illegal Block on Hasselback

One of the officiating highlights was when the umpire went all WWF and literally threw himself into the pile on top of Grant Wistrom and some other players.

The hilarious part was when the pile cleared out, Wistrom looked at the ump like, "What the hell where you doing down there punching me in the nuts?!?"

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the officiating highlights was when the umpire went all WWF and literally threw himself into the pile on top of Grant Wistrom and some other players.

The hilarious part was when the pile cleared out, Wistrom looked at the ump like, "What the hell where you doing down there punching me in the nuts?!?"

596010[/snapback]

Too funny.

The game had the look of "The Warden" trying to keep the prisoners from winning.

Unfortunately for the Seahawks, they didn't have Burt Reynolds on their team.

They seemed resigned to just take what the man had for them.

I guess it shows discipline?

:(:w00t:

Checking around some different boards... found a link to this thread at patsfans.com (from the 'Squawk board at the Seattle P-I):

The ESPN thread is great - just about every team in the league is represented:

"Green Bay here. This game sucked."

"1000% AGREE. <Panthers Fan>"

"Redskins fan. Agreed."

"Giants fan. This was pathetic."

"Raiders fan. They should have sent a memo to the Hawks that they didn't need to show up for the game."

"Browns fan...angry I wasted my time watching such a BS game."

"Patriot Fan who wanted the Steelers to win but not like this....it was disgusting."

...and so on... and so on....

595995[/snapback]

It's amazing. Bills, Jets, Dolphins AND Paytoilet fans ALL agreeing on something?

you know it's bad.

I had no investment in this game (financial or emotional) but the Rothlesberger TD call was horrible. I understand why it wasn't overturned but still, the guy did NOT score the freaking TD

Part of me felt like I should have been rooting for the Seattle just because of how they were getting screwed.

Good to know it's not just the Bills :(

That was my read, too. They probably made the right call based on the rules but i don't think he got in.

Did anyone else think that the Steelers were offsides on the phantom hold, too, that would have been first and goal on the one? The OLB definitely jumped the snap, it was just a matter of whether he crossed the LOS before the ball moved. I think he did. Actually, I think he did it two plays in a row.

595831[/snapback]

Absolutely. Clark Haggans was getting a head start 3 times in that drive by my count -- and definitely on THAT play. But, you know, you only call 'em close when you have to. :(

I seriously questioned why I even watch the NFL last night with such bull sh-- officiating. That red, white and blue is about the only reason these days.

It's a damn good thing hockey's going so well and baseball is around the corner.

That's another one I was wondering about and agree with you. he clearly clicked the pylon with his second foot before going out of bounds. I thought that the Steelers screwed themselves when they called that time-out and it gave the guys in the booth extra time to look it over but they never did. And the announcers never mentioned it. Anyone know the real rule on that? I think that should have been a TD.

595837[/snapback]

i now am totally confused as to what 'breaking the plane' of the goalline is...in the broadcast they said all they had to do was get INTO the white line area...not cross it...in which case i agree with them..the football was into the white line..but it never crossed it, which i always believed a touchdown was..(hench BREAKING the plane)...somebody clear this up for me?

595839[/snapback]

The issue with that catch was that the receiver did not have possession (two feet down / "football move") when he tapped the pylon. If he had gotten both feet inbounds and *then* tapped the pylon, it would have been a TD. As it was, he got one foot in, but the other was well out of bounds, so it didn't matter that he 'broke the plane.'

Michaels did say he wasn't sure about it, then the replay was shown which prompted an, "Oh. OK...."

in 30 years of watching NFL football, i can never ever remember a TD being called when the ball was downed where Rothlesberger put it.  Either that was no TD or the 100's of other times a player who downed a ball at that spot got robbed of a TD.

595856[/snapback]

Never? Does the name "Vinny Testaverde" ring any bells?

I don't know. It looked borderline to me. You have to be Superman to see through BR's arm to where the tip of the ball is; the ref made a judgment call on this, which is his job. If you pause and draw a straight line up from where you can last see the ball, it's darn close and then when you put it on slow-mo, BR goes forward a few more inches before and as he's hit. Whichever way, that was not 'indisputable evidence.'

Checking around some different boards... found a link to this thread at patsfans.com (from the 'Squawk board at the Seattle P-I):

The ESPN thread is great - just about every team in the league is represented:

"Green Bay here. This game sucked."

"1000% AGREE. <Panthers Fan>"

"Redskins fan. Agreed."

"Giants fan. This was pathetic."

"Raiders fan. They should have sent a memo to the Hawks that they didn't need to show up for the game."

"Browns fan...angry I wasted my time watching such a BS game."

"Patriot Fan who wanted the Steelers to win but not like this....it was disgusting."

...and so on... and so on....

595995[/snapback]

Great work, Lori. While perusing the Chiefs' link you provided, I came across a post that linked to this ESPN article:Dec 4, 2005 link

Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren violated league policy by publicly divulging information that the NFL apologized for blowing a couple touchdown calls last week against the New York Giants. Now, he's paying for it.

Sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Holmgren has been blackballed by the league's officiating office. Holmgren received a letter Friday informing him that the Seahawks face a two-week ban from having their games reviewed by the league's officiating department.

That pretty much does it for me. This game was a bag-job from the minute Seattle and Pitt won their conference title games. Anyone who doesn't think so clearly wasn't watching that game, or is a Steeler fan.

It depends on how you define "worse" I guess.

In terms of "undeniably bogus call that had the biggest impact on the game" it was the holding penalty that negated the 1st&goal at the 2 which later resulted in an interception. When you go from likely up 17-14 to down 14-10 with your defense on the field in bad field position (thanks in part to an illegal tackle) that is the mother of all turning points.

Almost every other call was a close judgement call - every single one of which suspiciously went in favor of the Steelers - so I'm not going to be a nit about them. But still, that one phantom holding call could've easily been the difference in the game. It would probably be easier to stomach if the Steelers were penalized for anything, ever.

Sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Holmgren has been blackballed by the league's officiating office. Holmgren received a letter Friday informing him that the Seahawks face a two-week ban from having their games reviewed by the league's officiating department.

596147[/snapback]

That is seriously !@#$ed up. Seriously. "You told everyone we admitted screwing up...so we're not going to to our jobs for you," basically.

I don't know. It looked borderline to me. You have to be Superman to see through BR's arm to where the tip of the ball is; the ref made a judgment call on this, which is his job. If you pause and draw a straight line up from where you can last see the ball, it's darn close and then when you put it on slow-mo, BR goes forward a few more inches before and as he's hit. Whichever way, that was not 'indisputable evidence.'

596132[/snapback]

There is a special provision in the rule book. If the defensive team is the Seattle Seahawks, the ball carriers helmet is the same as the football. Hence, if the ballcarrier gets tackled short of the goal line but their face plants in the paint, "just give it to them."

There is a special provision in the rule book.  If the defensive team is the Seattle Seahawks, the ball carriers helmet is the same as the football.  Hence, if the ballcarrier gets tackled short of the goal line but their face plants in the paint, "just give it to them."

596950[/snapback]

That's right...Vinnie's helmet scored against Seattle as well... :doh::lol:

Quick point about Ben's below the waist block on the end-around TD pass....that WAS a legal block. The rule that the zebras used (erroneously) on the Hasselback tackle applies on a change of possesion situation only (kickoff, punt, int, & fumble).

To add to the chorus though, I also think that the Hawks got seriously jobbed.

I see Holding and Pass Interference calls as the most inconsistent, most damaging calls in EVERY game. the league really needs to do something about these two infractions.

That was my read, too. They probably made the right call based on the rules but i don't think he got in.

Did anyone else think that the Steelers were offsides on the phantom hold, too, that would have been first and goal on the one? The OLB definitely jumped the snap, it was just a matter of whether he crossed the LOS before the ball moved. I think he did. Actually, I think he did it two plays in a row.

595831[/snapback]

yes

Yep.

This "all star" crew must have been officiating flag football games, or maybe bobsled racing, all year.  That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.  And to make it in the Super Bowl. 

Simply surreal.

Agreed.........

Who was this tool Leavy anyway? I have DTV & watch a lot of games & never heard of him.

I thought the refs were terrible BUT I did think that was a touchdown. I thought the ball (before he got hit) reached the front end of the white stripe. Impossible to tell with given camera angles. Clearly, clearly! No hold - and the illegal block is laughable. Offensive pass interference is questionable - ask any DB in the NFL and I bet they'll say YES - league is so tough on DB's - rules SO in favor of the recievers...clearly extended the arm(not a lot of contact)...have a hard time with this one. That holding call is the one that was the game changer. My 2 cents.

That is seriously !@#$ed up.  Seriously.  "You told everyone we admitted screwing up...so we're not going to to our jobs for you," basically.

596403[/snapback]

I agree... Totally effed up and damning.

But just a little note... This goes on in every facit of our society... Hard to prove though, but if you look on a certain other board... probably be a good place to start. And not just one group of people... But, everybody does it.

I am not saying this is right... Totally wrong. People should always do their best not matter what. Stuff like this alsways goes by a blind eye, actually gets commended... Go figure?

:blush::P

Agreed.........

Who was this tool Leavy anyway?  I have DTV & watch a lot of games & never heard of him.

597112[/snapback]

Didn't they say that in CA... Years ago when Mike Holmgren coached highschool that him and Leavy actually played a game together?

Leavy was the ref at the time also. They both remembered each other.

Not sure if this was noted.