Women sue Wal-Mart to require them to carry the

LOL, 'emergency' contraception pills. Pregnancy, the new disease.

601051[/snapback]

And I thought all the misogynistic pigs had already been beaten down in this thread. I'll let you pick your knuckles up off the ground and dig through it youself to find the info on what an emergency contraceptive is, and why it has nothing to do with abortion or ending pregnancy. I'll give you a hint...it has nothing to do with either.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name one. Should be easy if there are many of them.

601066[/snapback]

What do you know...seems like there are quite a few, according to a Religious Tolerance website. Is that an acceptable enough link for you?

Wal-Mart's refusal to stock the "morning-after" Pill

Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in the United States, and its fifth largest provider of pharmaceuticals. All but 22 Wal-Mart stores have pharmacy counters. In many cases, their 2,428 counters have become the only source for prescription medication in their region. Small, independently owned competing pharmacies have difficulty surviving and are often driven out of business. Thus, Americans in rural areas of the country frequently have to choose between buying their medication at Wal-Mart or of driving a long distance to the next urban area where there is a non-Wal-Mart pharmacy.

Excellent. You've narrowed it down to three states. Now, since the argument has been made this is important because there are so many of them, can someone name one?

601281[/snapback]

I don't know of the names, but Supermarket News says there are ten in Texas.

Wal-Mart’s Large Market Share Can Cut Off Access to Emergency Contraception. In many communities, going elsewhere to get the prescription filled is not an option. In ten towns in Texas, for example, Wal-Mart is the only existing pharmacy. [supermarket News, 5/9/05] Plan B must be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse to effectively prevent pregnancy [Planned Parenthood]

What do you know...seems like there are quite a few, according to a Religious Tolerance website.  Is that an acceptable enough link for you?

Wal-Mart's refusal to stock the "morning-after" Pill

601280[/snapback]

Yet they won't name one of these communities either, they just assure you they exist, and that there are many of them. Having lived out in the country before, where we had to drive long distances to do any type of shopping at all, I remain skeptical.

If I'm wrong, and there are so many of these towns out there where Wal-Mart is the only place to get a prescription filled, I'm sure someone can prove it by naming one of them.

And I thought all the misogynistic pigs had already been beaten down in this thread.  I'll let you pick your knuckles up off the ground and dig through it youself to find the info on what an emergency contraceptive is, and why it has nothing to do with abortion or ending pregnancy.  I'll give you a hint...it has nothing to do with either.

601265[/snapback]

Knuckle-dragging misongynistic pig? I thought the opposition in this thread were Nazis or Facists. Oh well, well scored - a clear debate point for you there.

I believe I perfectly understand what a "emergency" contraceptive is, and I'm still amused by the term. Feel free to call me whatever name it is you prefer.

I believe I perfectly understand what a "emergency" contraceptive is, and I'm still amused by the term. Feel free to call me whatever name it is you prefer.

601311[/snapback]

Somehow, I don't think you do.

Emergency contraception drugs interfere with fertilization, ovulation, or the ovum's implantation in the uterine wall. That is, they prevent pregnancy (which requires ovulation, fertilization, and implantation of the ovum in the uterine wall). As opposed to chemical abortion - RU-486 and such - which abort an established pregnancy, emergency contraceptives prevent pregnancy from occurring and, as far as I can tell, do not impact an established pregnancy.

Now you know. Not that it's going to make a damn bit of difference, of course...

Excellent. You've narrowed it down to three states. Now, since the argument has been made this is important because there are so many of them, can someone name one?

601281[/snapback]

Don't be so myopic my dear friend. This is truly where a corporation (world's largest employer) can dictate moral policy.

Well... I guess we can say ANY western state... I didn't feel like naming them all.

I will conceed that Wal-Mart's are placed in bigger areas where you have some competition from other suppliers... But, you can't give Wal-Mart the choice to choose what they should DISPENSE in this medical case... Already, the conglomerates have put the "Mom & Pops" on the ropes... The point is when they all start making their "own" choice to dispense and/or stock it... What is gonna happen?

What happens to people, say on the rez, near Parade, SD. People in near Cedar City, UT... Even worse in a state like Montana near say Jordan?... As the "Mom and Pops" dry up... they will have to go farther and farther to get to bigger towns and a corporate entity... Who is to say that they (other corporate entities) didn't follow Wal-Mart's lead and not dispense it either?

It isn't like they got to stock any... Just get it and DISPENSE it on call.

Get it... It has got to be mandatory... It isn't about Wal-Mart's personal choice.

I think it is more productive to comment on my synergy and Wal-Mart comment.

Now, be a good boy and comment where you can be really productive. :doh::lol:

:D:D

Emergency contraception drugs interfere with fertilization, ovulation, or the ovum's implantation in the uterine wall.  That is, they prevent pregnancy (which requires ovulation, fertilization, and implantation of the ovum in the uterine wall).  As opposed to chemical abortion - RU-486 and such - which abort an established pregnancy, emergency contraceptives prevent pregnancy from occurring and, as far as I can tell, do not impact an established pregnancy. 

Now you know.  Not that it's going to make a damn bit of difference, of course...

601340[/snapback]

Thanks!

I "get" it... Mr. "Kot-tier!"

Just a note before it comes up.

I stand on the belief that Wal-Mart DOESN'T have to STOCK it, but they HAVE to DISPENSE it.

You can get anything within a day.

Now, if someone is going to a Wal-Mart the day you get T----d (for lack of a better word) and your supply is out... Tough cookie... Drive around and find another place.

Emergency contraception drugs interfere with fertilization, ovulation, or the ovum's implantation in the uterine wall.  That is, they prevent pregnancy (which requires ovulation, fertilization, and implantation of the ovum in the uterine wall).  As opposed to chemical abortion - RU-486 and such - which abort an established pregnancy, emergency contraceptives prevent pregnancy from occurring and, as far as I can tell, do not impact an established pregnancy. 

Now you know.  Not that it's going to make a damn bit of difference, of course...

601340[/snapback]

For the second time, I understand exactly what emergency contraception means. That's why I think it's funny.

Contraception, as in to prevent conception.

Emergency, as in a sudden, unforseen crisis; a situation that poses an immediate threat to human life or serious damage to property.

"911, what's your emergency?"

I guess I am the only one who sees the humor in it.

Don't be so myopic my dear friend.  This is truly where a corporation (world's largest employer) can dictate moral policy.

Well... I guess we can say ANY western state... I didn't feel like naming them all.

I will conceed that Wal-Mart's are placed in bigger areas where you have some competition from other suppliers... But, you can't give Wal-Mart the choice to choose what they should DISPENSE in this medical case... Already, the conglomerates have put the "Mom & Pops" on the ropes... The point is when they all start making their "own" choice to dispense and/or stock it... What is gonna happen?

What happens to people, say on the rez, near Parade, SD.  People in near Cedar City, UT... Even worse in a state like Montana near say Jordan?... As the "Mom and Pops" dry up... they will have to go farther and farther to get to bigger towns and a corporate entity... Who is to say that they (other corporate entities) didn't follow Wal-Mart's lead and not dispense it either?

It isn't like they got to stock any... Just get it and DISPENSE it on call.

Get it... It has got to be mandatory... It isn't about Wal-Mart's personal choice.

I think it is more productive to comment on my synergy and Wal-Mart comment.

Now, be a good boy and comment where you can be really productive. :doh:  :lol:

:D  :D

601346[/snapback]

I asked for some proof on a point of an argument I've seen advanced numerous times in this debate, and your response is to call me myopic, chastise me to be a 'good boy', and further tell me what to comment on? What kind of nonsense is that?

I think a point of the argument that is being defended is not based on fact. If you do not wish to offer proof or concede the point, then perhaps you can mind your own business.

I asked for some proof on a point of an argument I've seen advanced numerous times in this debate, and your response is to call me myopic, chastise me to be a 'good boy', and further tell me what to comment on? What kind of nonsense is that?

I think a point of the argument that is being defended is not based on fact. If you do not wish to offer proof or concede the point, then perhaps you can mind your own business.

601420[/snapback]

You are right you win.

Folks... Just drive till you see a Rite-Aid, Osco, or what not.

Sorry... Jordan, Montana; Lund, Utah: and Mission Ridge, South Dakota... Or whatever far away place you live near.

:doh::lol:

For the second time, I understand exactly what emergency contraception means. That's why I think it's funny.

Contraception, as in to prevent conception.

Emergency, as in a sudden, unforseen crisis; a situation that poses an immediate threat to human life or serious damage to property.

"911, what's your emergency?"

I guess I am the only one who sees the humor in it.

601404[/snapback]

So if I understand you correctly, you thinks its funny, "humorous," when considering the creation of life or not to. I will pray for you. I don't see anything humorous in that decision.

I practiced safe sex until I was married and then responsibly figured out if it was okay to go ahead. The rest was in God's hands and I have been blessed. Not that there wasn't some scary moments early in my life with breaking condoms etc. Non of that was humorous and I don't think there is for these women.

So why are you so anti-morning-after-pill if you take life so lightly. Better go back to the Bible or whatever book or faith you belong to and check up on the sanctity of life and what is says of humor in that creation.

Otherwise you are no better the terrorists in mid-east. You just haven't pulled a trigger yet, or maybe you have, we don't know about it. Even suicide bombers take their mission seriously and probably don't find much more than gallows humor in it.

For the rest of your inane arguments about Walmart's right to carry or not to carry a certain drug, it is under the perview of the State of Massachusetts if Walmart wants to practice its trade there. If you don't like, it don't live there. I gather you don't. States have the right to regulate pharmacy practices and ironically, this is a states rights issue, not a Federal issue. Since you don't live there, don't worry and if you don't want the drug, don't buy it.

Just like I would like to get the hypocritical 700 club off my TV, but can't, because states regulate local cable companies and require this crap to be put on my channel schedule doesn't mean I have to turn it on. Heck, I am even subsidizing it, unlike you and Walmart.

So if I understand you correctly, you thinks its funny, "humorous," when considering the creation of life or not to.  I will pray for you.  I don't see anything humorous in that decision. 

I practiced safe sex until I was married and then responsibly figured out if it was okay to go ahead.  The rest was in God's hands and I have been blessed.  Not that there wasn't some scary moments early in my life with breaking condoms etc.  Non of that was humorous and I don't think there is for these women. 

So why are you so anti-morning-after-pill if you take life so lightly.  Better go back to the Bible or whatever book or faith you belong to and check up on the sanctity of life and what is says of humor in that creation.

Otherwise you are no better the terrorists in mid-east.  You just haven't pulled a trigger yet, or maybe you have, we don't know about it.  Even suicide bombers take their mission seriously and probably don't find much more than gallows humor in it.

For the rest of your inane arguments about Walmart's right to carry or not to carry a certain drug, it is under the perview of the State of Massachusetts if Walmart wants to practice its trade there.  If you don't like, it don't live there.  I gather you don't. States have the right to regulate pharmacy practices and ironically, this is a states rights issue, not a Federal issue.  Since you don't live there, don't worry and if you don't want the drug, don't buy it.

Just like I would like to get the hypocritical 700 club off my TV, but can't, because states regulate local cable companies and require this crap to be put on my channel schedule doesn't mean I have to turn it on.  Heck, I am even subsidizing it, unlike you and Walmart.

601584[/snapback]

Here's a novel idea: don't want to get pregnant? Don't have sex!

I mean, really, what are people? Chimps? Are people incapable of controlling their own sexuality? And how about being on the pill, eh? Brith conrtol pills have been around for nigh on forever, why can't a woman just take those if she KNOWS she's going to be humping like a rabbit?