My cap page is updated

So many people want to cut Moulds at a cost of 5-6 million and replace him with Sam Aiken to save money.  Major problem with the offense already and you want to make it worse?  Cutting Moulds "saves" 5-6 million ONLY if you do not go out and sign another WR.  You will not go out on the WR market and find anyone of Moulds talent level--they're just not out there.  TO is the only one--I realize TO is better than Moulds.  Where are you going to make up for 80+ receptions?  Moulds restructuring is the best for the cap and the team.  It is a win-win situation.  For those criticizing his character--he is a 10 year veteran on this team.  If you say he should be cut then apply the same standard to Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Willie McGinest etc... who all much more publicly and violently criticized coaching decisions and players attitudes openly.

593492[/snapback]

Aiken has had plenty of opportunity to shine...to no avail. He's a nice special teams play...and that's aboout it, IMO. I thought he might step-up as a WR...but, IMO, he's terrible.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aiken has had plenty of opportunity to shine...to no avail.  He's a nice special teams play...and that's aboout it, IMO.  I thought he might step-up as a WR...but, IMO, he's terrible.

593527[/snapback]

So are you agreeing that all of those idiots who say its a good idea to cut Moulds are absolute morons?

So are you agreeing that all of those idiots who say its a good idea to cut Moulds are absolute morons?

593542[/snapback]

How could you possibly get that from my post? i'm saying Aiken is nowhere near able to step in to the starting 3 (or 4...or 5) receivers for this team.

As for Moulds, it's not cut-and-dry. i think we should try and keep him at the right price. i'd love for him to continue his career here. But, let's face it, he's not the player he was 5 years ago.

I'm a LITTLE concerned with the Miami incident and i think that's a conversation for Marv to have with Eric.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this is as good a place as any to air this w/o starting yet anouther thread. I want our GM to TRY to keep good players. One of my complaints about TD (and I was no TD basher) was his seeming inability or disinterest in TRYING to keep players who looked like they were likely to go elsewhere.

While if was clear that Winfield and Pat Williams were going to get much bigger offers from other teams, offers the Bills were not able to match, I never got the impression that he went out of his way to make the BEST offer he could. That says a lot to these guys (and the guys coming due right behind them) and the fans. It's great that he signed McGee to an extension...but sometimes extensions don't get done. Do you just give up, then?

I want Marv and co. to make every effort to keep Moulds, Mike Williams and Sam Adams at cap-livable (if not cap-friendly) levels. If that can't be done...well, it can't be done. But, these things often CAN be done with a little savvy and some kid gloves.

(Gene Upshaw says the Union's position is that it won't accept a salary cap)

593167[/snapback]

I don't remember ever hearing that. You wouldn't happen to have a link on that would you?

It would be ridiculous to not have a salary cap. I can't believe that even the NFLPA would be that short sighted.

I don't remember ever hearing that. You wouldn't happen to have a link on that would you?

It would be ridiculous to not have a salary cap. I can't believe that even the NFLPA would be that short sighted.

593616[/snapback]

Even if he said it, i would take it as a negotiation ploy...no? There WILL be some sort of cap...THAT you can bet on.

"But under the current contract, there would be no salary cap in 2007, and NFL Players Association executive Gene Upshaw insists if the cap disappears then, it won't come back." [emphasis mine]

As I thought...obvious negotiation tactic.

Never bring facts into any good argument.   :P

Year___rec___yards___avg__TDs

Moulds:

2004:___88__1,043___11.9___5

2005:___81____816___10.1___4

Total:__169__1,859___11.0___9

Ward:

2004:___80__1,004___12.6___4

2005:___69____975___14.1__11

Total:__149__1,979___13.3___15

592912[/snapback]

Even with you stats that favor Ward, you left out a couple of facts that you may or may not deem important.

Ward is a leader. Moulds is a quitter. He quit on his football team. Oh, and once again, I would bet that Moulds has double the cap figure.

Perhaps you should ask yourself if your desire to keep Moulds is based primarily on fan loyalty. Nothing wrong with this mind you, but I don't think that it always lends itself to rational suggestions.

When Fina and Ostroski were two of the worst players in football, there were fans right here on TBD crying out to keep them. After they were (thankfully) cut, Fina played for about 10 minutes on the Cardinals before he was once again cut. Ostroski never played another game.

Moulds averaged 10.1 last year and quit. In 06, he will be a year older, and he will certainly not be an improved player. His cap figure is 10.85 million dollars, more than 10% of the team's salary cap allotment.

He needs to hit the road and tell his story walking (or running slow).

I think so, but perhaps that IS something less than a ringing endorsement.  ;)

593908[/snapback]

Thanks, Bill. cablebabe know I have a brain. It's just hard for her to beileve because of my stunning beauty. :P

It looks like JP isn't going anywhere either.  Cut/Trade him you just added $2 million to his cap number.

594448[/snapback]

Even if his cap hit was $100,000 do you think he'd be going anywhere? Jeez some people are very quick to judgment here.

Here are 2 sets of stats to use as an example of misjudging a QB too early.

G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

16 16 575 326 56.7 3739 6.50 78 26 28 22/109 42 8 71.2

G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

9 8 228 113 49.6 1340 5.88 58 8 8 26/197 15 6 64.9

The 2nd set of numbers are JP's first year as a starter, the 1st set are Peyton's first year as a starter.

JP was 12% below Peyton in completion %, in a game where each threw 30 passes JP would have completed 15 to Peyton's 17. JP's QB rating was 6.3% behind Peyton in QB rating. There is not a huge difference in numbers here. I'm glad my reviews for work are not done on this forum.

Clumpy, I don't understand why the entire salary of Moulds doesn't seem to come off if he is cut. If his salary is more than 6 mil., why would there only 4 plus mil. in cap savings? One would think that the entire salary would come off the total.

I understand that the bonus does get accelerated, but that would seem to be a seperate issue.

Could you (or someone else) clarify this for me?

Thanks. :blush:

Clumpy, I don't understand why the entire salary of Moulds doesn't seem to come off if he is cut. If his salary is more than 6 mil., why would there only 4 plus mil. in cap savings? One would think that the entire salary would come off the total.

I understand that the bonus does get accelerated, but that would seem to be a seperate issue.

Could you (or someone else) clarify this for me?

Thanks.  :blush:

He's signed until the end of 2007, so what you're seeing is the amortized bonus from 2007 being added/accelerated into next year (2006) as dead cap money, if he's cut.