Gray is not a good coach.

CJPearl2

If he was, he would have been considered for a number of other coordinator jobs.

Same thing with Clements.

588420[/snapback]

I don't think so. The NFL is all about what have you done for me lately.

I still think it was foolish to let a proven guy like Gray go. Give him his star LB and a decent DT and we've seen what he can do: top 5 defense.

I still think it was foolish to let a proven guy like Gray go. Give him his star LB and a decent DT and we've seen what he can do: top 5 defense.

588544[/snapback]

as long as we retain Nate Clements too. I agree with you it's foolish to let Gray go too considering the alternatives.

588544[/snapback]

That so-called top five defense faced a lot of lousy offenses. It's one thing to hold Cleveland to 30 yards, or whatever it was they were held to. Great. That was probably the most effective job anyone did in 2004 at stopping Cleveland's offense. Wonderful! But when that defense faced real offenses, it came up short. Examples:

New England

New England again!

Giving up a game-winning drive to the Jets late in that first game

Giving up a game-deciding nine minute drive to Pittsburgh in a must-win game

Giving up a game-winning drive to the Jaguars

The defense let the team down in those five games, but did well in most of the rest. Those other games generally featured teams with impotent offenses, like Cleveland's and Baltimore's, and both Miami games.

I don't think Jerry Gray is a very good coach but I would use the label good to describe his work. With this small difference in wording I am using this standard:

9-10 excellent coach

7-8 very good coach

5-6 good coach

3-4 sub par coach

1-2 bad coach

0- are you kidding

On this scale I am quite comfortable calling him a good coach.

Folks have ranted (and some over-ranted) about the quality of his work. I'm sure a poll on TSW would rank him as a 1 or 2.

However, I think though he is not good enough in my book to be called much more than a good DC, I think he has shown some real world achievements which merit him my positive (though not stellar) reviews.

1. Good background as a former accomplished player who I think has a producer in the secondary saw the whole field and learn to read keys about all offenmsive players. One good thing I will say for Jauron I often think former DBs make the best coaches as these players habitually have to read the entire O (rather than POA reads of DL players and focus on the individual in front of them). LBs also have this duty of doing both run and pass coverage, but the DBs are a particular breed that often are on an island and that can breed something in these players that in the good ones translates into coaching. Gray did breed some good loyalty among players and I think he is a leader respected by his men.

2. He mastered the DB position coach position to become a DC, his performance at this job (detailed below) indicates to me he also developed and showed talent as a DC.

3. Though he had litte production as a Bill with the GW D as they tried to run it here with not good enough personnel (Chidi Ahanatou for Jevon Kearse and Raion Hill for Blaine Bishop? Please). This crew in his first two seasons actually hung fairly well with many opponents for 3 quarters and then got swamped, the problems with Gray the first two years struck me more as a bad assessment rap on him as the team never ran a D which gave poor players their best shot. However, i was impressed by his playcalling which is one of the toughest jobs for a DC.

4. It impressed me a lot how quickly he learned and adapted to the LaBeau run-blitz. I had assumed he was kept merely as a sop and their was a strong case to fire GW if voth his O and D co-ordinators lost their jobs. However, one can not reasonably deny that he did some quality play calling with a unique D which was not designed by him in 2003.

Thise who want to give LeBeau all the credit for this performance foolishly ignore the fact that the playcalling is a function within which you cannot hide. It was LaBeau's D design but Gray called the plays well and folks should acknowledge if they want to be rational about this, his work here was good and since LeBeau left when he was denied the playcalling job he wanted his work here was rea and it was not simply LeBeau.

5. His work in 2004 was even more impressive and showed that the 2003 performance not only was not a fluke, but in fact it was not LeBeau's doing primarily and he was gone, If the 2003 performance was primarily LeBeau's doing, then even if the 2004 Gray led unit still finished in the top 10 but slid from the top 5 maybe this was the remnants of LeBeau and showed Gray's failings. However, the 2005 D wracked up better stats under Gray.

Even better in assessing Gray, the likely failing for him completely losing LeBeau would be seen in a lessened ability to make good halftime adjustmemts a role LeBeau could perform when here. Gray also has sole responsiblity now for training the players and making up a gameplan for gameday/ In 2004 where this D showed an ability to gameplan well as it jumped out ahead of several opponents and in cases where the opponents had a good game plan, the Bills often made halftime adjustments (particularly during the streak) which simply shut down what had worked for the opponents in the first half.

LeBeau was not here so it is simply silly to give him credit for the nice adjustment and gameplanning chops which Gray demonstrated in 2004.

Overall, I think he is a good coach and the record demonstrates this, ut as someone pointed out the NFL is generally a what have you done for me now league and the horrible D performance last year must be pinned on Gray and he cannot escape it.

However, anyone who blames him for sucking last year should also give him credit for 2003 and 94 or perhaps it indicates that they have some other agenda than rational asessment going on here.

588544[/snapback]

I disagree- a certain segment believes in the fallacy of what have tou done for me lately. Its a concept that gets you beat.