Thank God Levy's doing the hiring not US

Joe Fergy

You are right, there aren't any unemployed coaches out there that have won a Super Bowl in the last 5 years are there?  Or built a dynasty at the expense of the Bills?  Nobody who coached under Belichick in the pros and is the best NFL HC candidate in the college ranks?  Remember, when the Bucs began pursuing Gruden, he wasn't available.  When the Cowboys went after Parcells he was supposed to be retired for good.  Hell, I remember when there was no way, no how,  EVER that Joe Gibbs would ever leave NASCAR for the NFL again.  Those owners made it happen.

588750[/snapback]

There are no unemployed SB last five years HEAD COACHES. You are correct, there.

Using the coordinator must be a slam-dunk philosphy, Martz shold be considered, no? (BTW, "Yuck!") I'm not sure Charlie would be a great NFL HC. He had BB to lean on in the NFL...and you never know if the guy can do the #1 job in the NFL until a guy does the #1 job in the NFL. Any college coach w/o NFL HC experience is a gamble...face it. And some with NFL HC experience are a BIG gamble (think Carroll).

Given your philisophy, I'd say a big run at Dick Vermeil would have been the best bet.

BTW, as he keeps proving, Parcells w/o Bellycheck is a good, not great, coach. Don't award him his Super Bowl ring for the Cowboy's just yet.

Not saying Ralph cdould be more agressive in going for the big named head coach (i think that's a given). This year, there were no slam-dunk great coaches avaliable (except Vermeil).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, there aren't any unemployed coaches out there that have won a Super Bowl in the last 5 years are there?  Or built a dynasty at the expense of the Bills?  Nobody who coached under Belichick in the pros and is the best NFL HC candidate in the college ranks?  Remember, when the Bucs began pursuing Gruden, he wasn't available.  When the Cowboys went after Parcells he was supposed to be retired for good.  Hell, I remember when there was no way, no how,  EVER that Joe Gibbs would ever leave NASCAR for the NFL again.  Those owners made it happen.

588750[/snapback]

... and Ralphie brough back Marv - who is admittedly too old to coach (but don't tell HIM that) to see of some of the lustre could be brought back to the halls of OBD.

Didn't we already have Christmas?

BTW, as he keeps proving, Parcells w/o Bellycheck is a good, not great, coach.  Don't award him his Super Bowl ring for the Cowboy's just yet.

588765[/snapback]

gotta say that i TOTALLY disagree with this logic. being a head coach means recognizing young coaching talent. parcells id'd belichick and gave him his opportunities. it wasn't as if belichick decided to go and work for parcells -- parcells id'ed him and gave the starving dog a bone. and he did it numerous times, because he knew how to build a staff. he also id'ed charlie weis from the ranks of new jersey high school coaching. he also identified coughlin. the point is, belichick may be the equivalent of an nfl plato, but parcells is definitely the socrates. belichick owes most everything to parcells.

gotta say that i TOTALLY disagree with this logic. being a head coach means recognizing young coaching talent. parcells id'd belichick and gave him his opportunities. it wasn't as if belichick decided to go and work for parcells -- parcells id'ed him and gave the starving dog a bone. and he did it numerous times, because he knew how to build a staff. he also id'ed charlie weis from the ranks of new jersey high school coaching. he also identified coughlin.  the point is, belichick may be the equivalent of an nfl plato, but parcells is definitely the socrates. belichick owes most everything to parcells.

588985[/snapback]

I give Bill P the credit for being a good manager and recognizing talent. I also think he's a decent coach. I just don't think he's the genius coach that many others see. Without Bellycheck, he's done squat. BB, on the other hand, has done fine without Parcells.

I give Bill P the credit for being a good manager and recognizing talent.  I also think he's a decent coach.  I just don't think he's the genius coach that many others see.  Without Bellycheck, he's done squat.  BB, on the other hand, has done fine without Parcells.

588995[/snapback]

you're missing my point - he was smart enough to employ belichick for a dozen years. and charlie weis for 10 years or so. coaching is largely about surrounding yourself with the right people, and parcells did it with belichick. belichick, remember, most likely would never have been anything if he hadn't been given the opportunities that parcells gave him. basically, the wrong way to look at it (in my opinion) is to say that parcells didn't do anything without belichick. he *used* belichick as a tool to achieve what he wanted because he recognized how good he was. no other coach ever hired the guy, by the way -- it was always parcells.

gotta say that i TOTALLY disagree with this logic. being a head coach means recognizing young coaching talent. parcells id'd belichick and gave him his opportunities. it wasn't as if belichick decided to go and work for parcells -- parcells id'ed him and gave the starving dog a bone. and he did it numerous times, because he knew how to build a staff. he also id'ed charlie weis from the ranks of new jersey high school coaching. he also identified coughlin.  the point is, belichick may be the equivalent of an nfl plato, but parcells is definitely the socrates. belichick owes most everything to parcells.

588985[/snapback]

Funny you should mention that, 'cause I always thought Parcells rode Ray Perkin's groundwork into fame and fortune. Things kinda went kashitzkie his last year in NY and Parcells took over the organization and never looked back.

you're missing my point - he was smart enough to employ belichick for a dozen years. and charlie weis for 10 years or so. coaching is largely about surrounding yourself with the right people, and parcells did it with belichick. belichick, remember, most likely would never have been anything if he hadn't been given the opportunities that parcells gave him. basically, the wrong way to look at it (in my opinion) is to say that parcells didn't do anything without belichick. he *used* belichick as a tool to achieve what he wanted because he recognized how good he was.  no other coach ever hired the guy, by the way -- it was always parcells.

589000[/snapback]

No, I don't think I'm missing your point...I give you all that. I just don't see him finding another BB before he retires.

In my eyes a GREAT manager finds the best people and helps make them better. The manager know that the success of the underling helps ensure his/her own success. He/she understands that they'll grow and leave and maybe surpass them in their careers.

But the best managers find new blood when the underlings move on. They continue to be as successfull with new underlings. In my view Parcells hasn't stayed as successful...and that's what separates the very good from the great.

No, I don't think I'm missing your point...I give you all that.  I just don't see him finding another BB before he retires.

In my eyes a GREAT manager finds the best people and helps make them better.  The manager know that the success of the underling helps ensure his/her own success.  He/she understands that they'll grow and leave and maybe surpass them in their careers.

But the best managers find new blood when the underlings move on.  They continue to be as successfull with new underlings.  In my view Parcells hasn't stayed as successful...and that's what separates the very good from the great.

589041[/snapback]

well, he's won 2 super bowls, been to 3, played in 5 championship games, and has been to the playoffs with 4 teams. let's see what he does next year, as i do think the present cowboys team has been built for next year and not this past year.

He didn't hire Jauron did he?

Not good enough for the Colts, but perfect for the Bills.

587276[/snapback]

Sounds like theline in "Caddyshack" Anyone who buts a hat like this should get a free bowl of soup... But looks good on you though..