Tax question

IBTG81

I have a quick question. During the year, I claimed 0 for both of my jobs.

My parents told me when I do my taxes, that I should claim either/or head of household (I live in an apt with a roommate), or claim one dependant (myself). Is this allowed? Turbotax won't allow me to (but I know some of these programs are sketchy).

Thanks.

I don't think you can be your own dependent...

Since I'm assuming you're pretty much right out of school (or still in school), based on your post, can't you just use the 1040EZ form? Or better yet, telefile?

CW

I don't think you can be your own dependent...

Since I'm assuming you're pretty much right out of school (or still in school), based on your post, can't you just use the 1040EZ form?  Or better yet, telefile?

CW

587174[/snapback]

Well, I've been out of school for almost 2 years. I never received anything for telefile in the mail ( I did for state, not federal). I do have SOME deductions.

But, can I claim head of household?

Well, I've been out of school for almost 2 years. I never received anything for telefile in the mail ( I did for state, not federal). I do have SOME deductions.

You have enough deductions to offset the standard deduction? And this is the first year you're doing your taxes?! :blink:

Not an insult, just kinda surprising to me.

If you're really unsure about something, I would recommend calling the IRS directly (they have a 1800 number on the tax form), or better yet, go to H&R Block or the like and have them done there. It'll cost a bit (probably $75-$100), but you have a lesser chance of being audited, and if you are, at least you'll know it was done correctly (or if it wasn't, it's not your fault).

CW

587175[/snapback]

Unless you were supporting the roommate, it does not look like you could claim head of household. The 1040 instruction booklet describes who qualifies to claim head of household.

On federal, you may claim yourself as a dependent provided someone else (like your parents) isn't claiming you. It varies state by state as to whether you can claim yourself or not (in NY, you cannot claim yourself as a deduction). You can (within reason) claim any number of deductions you want on your W4's, this only affects the amount of tax that is withheld, it doesn't affect your tax liability. By claiming 0 dependents, you likely had more money withheld than you will owe and you will end up with a refund.

Disclaimer in case anyone working for the IRS is on the board: I am not a tax professional and don't claim to be.

Yes.

587182[/snapback]

I believe he needs to have a household to be the head of before he can claim that. The head of household designation is used if you are claiming dependends. The roommate is irrelevant (unless he's in a wheelchair and Ed feeds and bathes him).

Ed - What you filled out on your W-4 is irrelevant. That just tells payroll how much to withhold from each check. By putting 0 you had them withhold the max amount and thus are more likely to be in for a refund (of course, that means you gave the gov't an interest free loan each paycheck).

As for your question, normally one would file as 'Single' and claim 'yourself' as the only dependant (as Turbo Tax leads you to do). Maybe you need to explain what your parents meant -- are you claiming one of them as a dependent?

You should be able to find more info in the instructions or on the www.irs.gov website.

You cannot claim head of household.

It is to complicated and lengthly to explain here, but look in the instructions for your tax forms, it will clearly explain what a head of household is, based on what you describe, you are not.

Check the forms to be sure.

I believe he needs to have a household to be the head of before he can claim that.  The head of household designation is used if you are claiming dependends.  The roommate is irrelevant (unless he's in a wheelchair and Ed feeds and bathes him).

Ed -  What you filled out on your W-4 is irrelevant.  That just tells payroll how much to withhold from each check.  By putting 0 you had them withhold the max amount and thus are more likely to be in for a refund (of course, that means you gave the gov't an interest free loan each paycheck).

As for your question, normally one would file as 'Single' and claim 'yourself' as the only dependant (as Turbo Tax leads you to do).  Maybe you need to explain what your parents meant -- are you claiming one of them as a dependent?

You should be able to find more info in the instructions or on the www.irs.gov website.

587195[/snapback]

OK, I now understand I can't claim myself as head of household. However, can I put myself down as a dependent? My parents (and others at work) tell me I can claim 1 instead of 0.

OK, I now understand I can't claim myself as head of household. However, can I put myself down as a dependent? My parents (and others at work) tell me I can claim 1 instead of 0.

587368[/snapback]

On your W-4, you can claim anything you want. It just impacts the amount withheld. The higher the #, the less they withhold. Obviously it all comes out in the wash the following April so you don't want to withhold too little.

On your 1040, there is a box to check to claim 'yourself' and a separate box to claim a certain number of dependants (which sounds like 0 in your case). You add them together and get a total of 1 exemption. A 'dependant' is someone else who depends on you (heaven forbid.... :blink: ). One is not a dependant of oneself.

btw, IMO Turbo Tax is an excellent product.

587175[/snapback]

No. Head of household implies a household. You're single with one dependent - yourself.

And at your age with your finances, your deductions will almost certainly not be more than the standard deduction. I've got work-related deductions and far greater deductible medical expenses than you, and it's an even money bet my deductions will exceed the standard deduction. But do it both ways anyway...you'll learn a lot, and who knows? You just might exceed the standard deduction.

I believe he needs to have a household to be the head of before he can claim that.  The head of household designation is used if you are claiming dependends.  The roommate is irrelevant (unless he's in a wheelchair and Ed feeds and bathes him).

Ed -  What you filled out on your W-4 is irrelevant.  That just tells payroll how much to withhold from each check.  By putting 0 you had them withhold the max amount and thus are more likely to be in for a refund (of course, that means you gave the gov't an interest free loan each paycheck).

As for your question, normally one would file as 'Single' and claim 'yourself' as the only dependant (as Turbo Tax leads you to do).  Maybe you need to explain what your parents meant -- are you claiming one of them as a dependent?

587195[/snapback]

Yup. you are correct. I must have been out smoking crack again :blink: