tax question

Corp000085

i started doing my turbotax stuff today and i'm horrified to see that i owe a nice chunk of change.

All things considered, last year's wages and contributions equal this year's wages and contributions. The only difference is the interest paid on my mortgage. I received a nice fedral refund last year but this year its saying that i owe. I'm very new to doing my taxes, so someone let me know what gives??

After further review, our income did increase by $8000. I also haven't added the education expenses in yet, but the refund/amound due box did not change on the federal return when i added the mortgage/real estate tax value. Will those values come into play with the state returns only?

After further review, our income did increase by $8000.  I also haven't added the education expenses in yet, but the refund/amound due box did not change on the federal return when i added the mortgage/real estate tax value.  Will those values come into play with the state returns only?

584840[/snapback]

If you added the mortage/real estate taxes and nothing changed, that's because the standard deduction is higher than if you itemize.

You might be out of luck.

My wife works for H&R Block, so we get our taxes done for free :)

CW

you are very blessed.

584852[/snapback]

If you get audited, say nothing about yourself. None of this bubbly, "I like my kids, my car, my garden, my boat", they are great, I AM so proud etc etc etc.

Rule #1 in the IRS battle plan is to find out what is important to the victim, - where can I apply the most pain to my target, then endeavor to take that away and make them cry uncle. It is a collection agency that rewards those who bring in receipts. Very sweet talkers, they are. And very experienced - the prototection of Civil Service and assurance of a taxpayer-funded paycheck is pretty much the only thing that keeps a number of them from becoming aluminum siding salesmen. So they persist for 30 years or so, immune from firing and become wily.

Be a dull boy. Hobbies? No. Cars? No. Fancy food or wine? What's that? Art? Huh? Kids going to college? No - they are pretty stupid. And so forth. :)

If you get audited, say nothing about yourself.  None of this bubbly, "I like my kids, my car, my garden, my boat", they are great, I AM so proud etc etc etc.

Rule #1 in the IRS battle plan is to find out what is important to the victim, - where can I apply the most pain to my target,  then endeavor to take that away and make them cry uncle. It is a collection agency that rewards those who bring in receipts. Very sweet talkers, they are. And very experienced - the prototection of Civil Service and assurance of a taxpayer-funded paycheck is pretty much the only thing that keeps a number of them from becoming aluminum siding salesmen.  So they persist for 30 years or so, immune from firing and become wily.

Be a dull boy. Hobbies? No. Cars? No. Fancy food or wine? What's that? Art? Huh?  Kids going to college? No - they are pretty stupid. And so forth. :lol:

584928[/snapback]

If you get audited, and you have done your taxes honestly and correctly, then what do you care?

Sounds like number 1 is more geared towards someone who has something to hide.

If you get audited, and you have done your taxes honestly and correctly, then what do you care?

585389[/snapback]

I see your point.

Is ANYTHING correct? That is what I fear?

Please don't take this advice but, I will throw it out there: Apply logic, reason and stay within the thresholds. <_<

Besides, just live pay check to pay check! ;);)

:devil:

585389[/snapback]

Newflash: There are few professional tax preparers who get ITR's correct because the laws are so screwed up. Consumer Reports proves it every year. SiC gve excellent advice that shouldn't be cast aside so easily.

Newflash:  There are few professional tax preparers who get ITR's correct because the laws are so screwed up.  Consumer Reports proves it every year.  SiC gve excellent advice that shouldn't be cast aside so easily.

585677[/snapback]

Hiding assets is not good advice.

Hire the best CPA you can.  I see tax returns all the time.  The most effed up ones are the ones people do themselves.  It's worth every penny to have a professional do them.

585796[/snapback]

Actually, a lot/most CPAs don't know what the heck they're doing with individual tax returns either. My wife says that the returns that CPAs have done in the past are usually worse than what individuals do.

YMMV.

Actually, a lot/most CPAs don't know what the heck they're doing with individual tax returns either.  My wife says that the returns that CPAs have done in the past are usually worse than what individuals do.

YMMV.

585808[/snapback]

That'll be why I said the BEST CPA you can find.

Actually, a lot/most CPAs don't know what the heck they're doing with individual tax returns either.  My wife says that the returns that CPAs have done in the past are usually worse than what individuals do.

YMMV.

585808[/snapback]

A lot of people think that CPA = tax guy when in reality there are probably more of us doing corporate finance than personal tax returns. I've been a CPA for over 10 years and have never done anyone's taxes but my own.

Find someone that has built a practice doing personal returns; not just someone who has the initials.

As for Corp85's question, if you paid less in mortgage interest, that's probably your answer. Also, check out your AMT calculation; depending on your income level, that could be part of the issue.

As for Corp85's question, if you paid less in mortgage interest, that's probably your answer.  Also, check out your AMT calculation;  depending on your income level, that could be part of the issue.

585927[/snapback]

Good point.

Isn't it true that if they don't reform the AMT (I think first instituted in the early 1970's...1972 or so?) that in about 10 years the AMT level will be effecting people making 50 grand or so.

I recall seeing something on this.

??