The Steve Fairchild Analysis

Mikie2times

Already I've seen a Killdrive comparison to Fairchild, and another that said he abandoned the running game in St Louis. No evidence supports any of this, in fact it all points in the opposite direction.

In order to prove this I decided to breakdown Fairchild’s games in two categories. Category one is games in which the Rams were in control. The criteria for this category is at no point during the game were they trailing by 14 or more. The second category is just the complete opposite, games in which they were trailing by 14 or more at some point. One important number to remember is NFL team's averaged running 46% of the time in 2005, and passed 54% of the time.

Category 1 (Never trailing by 14 or more)

Total: 123 Runs, 129 Passes, Run%: 49%

Category 2 (Trailing by 14 or more)

Total: 156 Runs, 255 Passes, Run:%:38%

Of the category one games if you remove the game against the 49ers putrid secondary (Rams had 354 Passing Yards), the run%: goes up to 54%. In comparison the Steelers Run% this season was 59% which was far and away the league high.

The Rams were down a ton this year, and when you’re down you pass more. Despite that, Fairchild really balanced out the Rams offense when he took over for Martz. Even factoring in the games he was trailing his rush per every 1.4 pass attempts would have placed St Louis 7th in the league in rush frequency. Fairchild not only showed a commitment to the running game in St Louis but also learned a system that allowed average QB's to put up monster numbers. This is a good hire people, be happy, I think we nabbed an up and coming guy that should mesh well with Jauron.

Why do I shiver when I read the words "up and coming coach" ??

583929[/snapback]

I hear ya, I guess I'm more optimistic because I spent so much time looking into him. Something just intrigues me about a coordinator with a commitment to the ground game, and knowledge of the Rams passing attack.

It's not like the guy's short on experience he just hasn't been calling plays with Martz being around. When he did the Rams looked like a completely different offense then the one Martz ran. They had balance with the ground game, and some production downfield with below average QB's. It's hard to be a great offensive coordinator when you’re trailing all the time, but Fairchild did a more then respectable job givin his situation.

I agree with you that the Rams looked a lot different when Fairchild was calling the plays. We'll see I guess. Part of it is the taint of Martz and his pass-manic offense and his parade of shattered QBs, and part of it is the taint of Huckleberry The Idiot (GW) and his "teachers" who collectively could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

Apparently we are the 2nd chance organization right now, so what the heck...

I think he will likely run a decent amount, too, because Jauron will make him, and Willis is pretty good, and we will at least try to control the ball. But he is not a RB coach at heart. Fairchild was a record setting throwing quarterback in college, and I think his coach was Mike Martz. He became a QB coach, and coached Dan McGwire, who threw all the time. He was most always a QB coach and OC until GW made him a RB coach for the first time here. Then he was lured away by Martz. So he has been with throwing teams the vast majority of his playing and coaching career.

I hear ya, I guess I'm more optimistic because I spent so much time looking into him. Something just intrigues me about a coordinator with a commitment to the ground game, and knowledge of the Rams passing attack.

It's not like the guy's short on experience he just hasn't been calling plays with Martz being around. When he did the Rams looked like a completely different offense then the one Martz ran. They had balance with the ground game, and some production downfield with below average QB's. It's hard to be a great offensive coordinator when you’re trailing all the time, but Fairchild did a more then respectable job givin his situation.

583943[/snapback]

I had Jackson as one of my fantasy backs and his numbers simply exploded when Fairchild took over...stop trying to make sense, you might give people the false hope that we'll win a game next year... :doh:

I think he will likely run a decent amount, too, because Jauron will make him, and Willis is pretty good, and we will at least try to control the ball. But he is not a RB coach at heart. Fairchild was a record setting throwing quarterback in college, and I think his coach was Mike Martz. He became a QB coach, and coached Dan McGwire, who threw all the time. He was most always a QB coach and OC until GW made him a RB coach for the first time here. Then he was lured away by Martz. So he has been with throwing teams the vast majority of his playing and coaching career.

583959[/snapback]

AH....I just assumed being a former RB's coach likely meant he played RB. I like the idea even more if his primary experience is with QB's being that he's showed a commitment to the run in the past.