One litmus test on this hire:

Lurker

...the Jets or Fins had hired Dick as their HC? Fear? Concern? Laughter?

Oh well. The deeds's been done. And like WNY politics, we'll just grin and bear it, hoping for the best and knowing in the pit of our stomach that the light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train.

This draft will have to be amazing, though.

Ambivalence -- I'm a lot less concerned with what other teams do than I am with what Bflo does.

581043[/snapback]

Yes, that true.

But we're all rabid NFL fans who try to keep up with league happenings. The TV ratings for the playoff games in Buffalo are amazing--we're out-polling every non-playoff city in the nation. Bills fans know the NFL pretty well, or at least as well as any fan can ever know it anyway.

I respect talented teams, coaches, players--even when they wear the opposing team's colors. And the bottom line for me is that Dick is an "ambivalent" hire, to use your own word.

I'm not saying Sherman was the answer either, but his record and coaching mentors are better than Jauron's, by far. Even Haz has more positives than negatives on his resume.

Seems like a missed opportunity to me, but now that the venting is winding down, I guess I'll just go back to writing more checks to RW.

Ambivalence -- I'm a lot less concerned with what other teams do than I am with what Bflo does.

581043[/snapback]

Normally I agree, but I got a little quesy when the Dolphins hired Mularkey as their OC, and Dom Capers as a DC.

Still though, the bottom fell out weeks ago, to me, hiring Jauron is just the begining of a new chapter for the Bills. I am not one of those who thinks, necessarily, that because Jauron had a sub-par record in Chicago, he can't be a success in Buffalo. More important than the hiring of Jauron, is how the coaching staff develops, the draft, and the free agency period. I will also be curious as to how the vetrans (Moulds, Fletcher, Spikes, Nate Clements, etc) accept Jauron.

I must say, I am less optimistic, at the end of Janaury, about the Bills prospects for the 2006 season, than I have been in years. It really doesn't have much to do with Jauron though. I would likely feel the same way if the Bills had hired any of the six that they interviewed. I don't know if it is right to expect immediate results (even thought the cliche "the NFL is a "win now" league has been drummed into my head), or just hope for baby steps toward respectability. I haven't figured out how to approach this team yet.

If Donohoe and Mularkey had stayed on, I would feel better, even though there would no real logical reason to. Maintaining the status quo (no matter how inept) always seems more comfortable than radical change. I am trying to give Marv Levy, and Jauron, the same benefit of a doubt. I have been a Bills fan for 40 years, there have been more dark years than bright in that time. I am not going to stop now.....

I will also be curious as to how the vetrans (Moulds, Fletcher, Spikes, Nate Clements, etc) accept Jauron.

I must say, I am less optimistic, at the end of Janaury, about the Bills prospects for the 2006 season, than I have been in years.

I feel the opposite. I've already heard a veteran --Villarial-- speak about the respect he has for the guy. I am optimistic we weren't one of the 7 clubs hiring a newbie to the HC position. I am also optimistic with the chances for a very good draft. I am more optimistic now than I was before.

I feel the opposite. I've already heard a veteran --Villarial-- speak about the respect he has for the guy. I am optimistic we weren't one of the 7 clubs hiring a newbie to the HC position. I am also optimistic with the chances for a very good draft. I am more optimistic now than I was before.

581085[/snapback]

I guess I did a poor job of saying what I meant. I run into that a lot on TSW.

Really what I meant was, the Jauron hiring, while it doesn't inspire me, it doesn't piss me off as much as a lot of things that have gone on with the Bills recently. Some people on the board are acting as if this is the sign of the Bills apocolypse. I just see it as the first step (maybe second, if you count hiring Marv) toward a whole new train of thought for the Bills. It could be great, could be a disaster. I just don't know yet. I think there is a lot of over-reaction to Jauron. He is only one small part of this new puzzle....I am not as optimistic about next season as I normally am, this time of year, because there is so much for this team to do, before it takes on any sort of shape.

I think there is a lot of over-reaction to Jauron.  He is only one small part of this new puzzle....I am not as optimistic about next season as I normally am, this time of year, because there is so much for this team to do, before it takes on any sort of shape.

581116[/snapback]

Yup.

If I actually worried about such things (instead of just blathering about them on a message board), I'd be far more concerned about the roster than about the coaching staff right now...

Yup.

If I actually worried about such things (instead of just blathering about them on a message board), I'd be far more concerned about the roster than about the coaching staff right now...

581187[/snapback]

Respectfully, I hasten to disagree. The coaching staff to no small degree will determine the roster. Ergo, if you're going to worry (I'm not), methinks whining about the coach should precede peeing one's diaper over the roster.

Respectfully, I hasten to disagree.  The coaching staff to no small degree will determine the roster.  Ergo, if you're going to worry (I'm not), methinks whining about the coach should precede peeing one's diaper over the roster.

581286[/snapback]

The coaching staff, or the front office? Time for the player personnel department to earn their keep.

This draft will have to be amazing, though.

581034[/snapback]

And making the right choice of the QB will go a long way......

KH is not going to take this team anywhere.....

JP is still a question mark and we don't know what Juron/Levy opinion on him is.

Kerry Collins will be a good addition as it brings in a Veteran QB who can

actually win a ball game and throw deep unlike a KH....But then what happens

to JP....is he going to sit on the bench or get traded ?

Other possibilities are Patrick Ramsey, Aaron Brooks or Brad Johnson.....

I think also Moulds is going to make his choice based on who Marv and Dick

are going to bring to camp at the QB position.