You can cross off Caldwell as HC...

Tipster19

...Buffalo is only going thru the motions for the minority candidate rule. As for OC...forget about it. Why in the world would he give up those indoor arsenals for the frigid tundra? Especially with Dungy still up in the air about his retirement. The Colts used him as a fill in during the Dungy tragedy. Wouldn't it make sense that if Dungy retired Caldwell would succeed him? Until that whole thing works out I wouldn't expect anything about Caldwell to come to fruitation. No, I think that this SOPRANO 3695 is right on the money. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Buffalo announced Sherman tomorrow sometime. A distant second would be Jauron. Me personally, I hope it's Sherman with Bates not far behind as DC. If it's not Bates that maniac Henderson would do just fine.

...Buffalo is only going thru the motions for the minority candidate rule. As for OC...forget about it. Why in the world would he give up those indoor arsenals for the frigid tundra? Especially with Dungy still up in the air about his retirement. The Colts used him as a fill in during the Dungy tragedy. Wouldn't it make sense that if Dungy retired Caldwell would succeed him? Until that whole thing works out I wouldn't expect anything about Caldwell to come to fruitation. No, I think that this SOPRANO 3695 is right on the money. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Buffalo announced Sherman tomorrow sometime. A distant second would be Jauron. Me personally, I hope it's Sherman with Bates not far behind as DC. If it's not Bates that maniac Henderson would do just fine.

576000[/snapback]

then what was that james lofton interview all about???? the bills already satisfied the "rooney rule" with that interview

576000[/snapback]

The Bills already interviewed James Lofton, minority candidate.

EDIT: I hate you Jamie.

576000[/snapback]

Yeah, I mean why would that guy come here when he can stay there and choke year after year after year? It's just as much part of his legacy as it is Manning's and Dungy's.

James Lofton?!!! How valid is he really? I don't even think the Buffalo diehards believe or want him as our next coach. I think that I read somewhere on this board that he may be better suited for the OC position. Hey, I liked him alot as a player but after all the turmoil and unsettleness in Buffalo right now I wouldn't even want to take a chance with him at that position. As far as the Rooney Rule, I think that it would be pretty insulting that the only way that we complied with it was to bring in one our own ex-players who has limited experience. I think this organization needs more right now.

James Lofton?!!! How valid is he really? I don't even think the Buffalo diehards believe or want him as our next coach. I think that I read somewhere on this board that he may be better suited for the OC position. Hey, I liked him alot as a player but after all the turmoil and unsettleness in Buffalo right now I wouldn't even want to take a chance with him at that position. As far as the Rooney Rule, I think that it would be pretty insulting that the only way that we complied with it was to bring in one our own ex-players who has limited experience. I think this organization needs more right now.

576055[/snapback]

Yeah, because its so insulting that Lofton only filled the Rooney rule requirement. B-)

then what was that james lofton interview all about???? the bills already satisfied the "rooney rule" with that interview

576050[/snapback]

I seem to remember in one of Saprano's posts he/she (funny how we all assume she/he is a he) said there was a "slight glich" and things would be worked out ..... now putting two and two together (and getting seven) ..... what I think the deal is ........ OBD THOUGHT the Lofton interview satisfied the "Rooney rule" ...... but were told otherwise by the league so Marve and Ralph had to shuffle another VIABLE candidate of color through the interview process to get the blessing of the league.

Maybe that's why no announcement at the end of the week ....... my guess we'll know by Monday.

576000[/snapback]

I agree. Another reason that Caldwell won't be the new OC is that I don't think he can make such a move under his contract. He's a QB coach AND Assistant head coach in Indy; he couldn't make a lateral move. The only way out would be to geta HC position, which probably won't happen.

The belief that Sherman is a WCO-only coach is false.

576424[/snapback]

That's been my question as everyone speculates on who the OC might be. I know that GB ran WCO which made me question the whole Mike Martz, Caldwell as OC thing.

I dont doubt your info, but would you care to explain a little more on why it's false?

Going from QB coach to OC is a promotion, meaning the "AHC" title means nothing.  Only if the Bills planned on making him their QB coach would it make a difference.

576416[/snapback]

I thought the only reason teams name coaches "AHC" is to prevent them from taking other lower assistant jobs--just like Caldwell here. Even if the OC is a promotion from QB coach, I think the AHC title is fatal--but I could be wrong.

I thought the only reason teams name coaches "AHC" is to prevent them from taking other lower assistant jobs--just like Caldwell here. Even if the OC is a promotion from QB coach, I think the AHC title is fatal--but I could be wrong.

The AHC title only prevents a team from taking a coach for the exact same position. A promotion, like OC from QB coach is, is fair game.

I seem to remember in one of Saprano's posts he/she (funny how we all assume she/he is a he) said there was a "slight glich" and things would be worked out ..... now putting two and two together (and getting seven) ..... what I think the deal is ........ OBD THOUGHT the Lofton interview satisfied the "Rooney rule" ...... but were told otherwise by the league so Marve and Ralph had to shuffle another VIABLE candidate of color through the interview process to get the blessing of the league.

Maybe that's why no announcement at the end of the week ....... my guess we'll know by Monday.

576079[/snapback]

Wrong. Lofton did satisfy the requirement.

JDG

The AHC title only prevents a team from taking a coach for the exact same position.  A promotion, like OC from QB coach is, is fair game.

576452[/snapback]

That rule has since changed. Teams can deny any asst. coach from taking a non-HC position with any team. Tampa Bay has been denying their position coaches promotions to DC for a couple years now.

JDG

576433[/snapback]

Dick LeBeau was an asst. HC here before he left to be Pittsburgh´s DC. So no big deal there.