high risk/high reward/short term investments

jester43

he has been nice enough to compensate me for making accurate predictions last week, so i thought i 'd test his generosity again.

i am thinking pgh +3 and car/sea over 43.5. i like the steelers' defense and their ability to play well on the road. also, i like ben much better than plummer. no knock on plummer, but i think ben is a notch above him.

in the nfc game, i am leaning toward carolina +3.5 but not too confidently...i am more comfortable that both teams will score...i know the panthers D is solid, but i think sattle can put up a few TDs at home.

anybody have thoughts to share?

Don't bet on Pittsburgh. As I've stated before-no team has ever made the Super Bowl that was not within 2 wins of best record in the conference. To bet a 3 point underdog, you have to think they'll win the game outright. Pittsburgh would have to do something that no other team in the 40 year history of the game has done.

Unless you're a really wreckless gambler, don't do it!

Don't bet on Pittsburgh.  As I've stated before-no team has ever made the Super Bowl that was not within 2 wins of best record in the conference.  To bet a 3 point underdog, you have to think they'll win the game outright.  Pittsburgh would have to do something that no other team in the 40 year history of the game has done. 

575764[/snapback]

yeah but you sort of have to throw out the games that rothlisberger missed, don't you?

he has been nice enough to compensate me for making accurate predictions last week, so i thought i 'd test his generosity again.

i am thinking pgh +3 and car/sea over 43.5.  i like the steelers' defense and their ability to play well on the road.  also, i like ben much better than plummer.  no knock on plummer, but i think ben is a notch above him.

in the nfc game, i am leaning toward carolina +3.5 but not too confidently...i am more comfortable that both teams will score...i know the panthers D is solid, but i think sattle can put up a few TDs at home.

anybody have thoughts to share?

575747[/snapback]

I was considering a similar play: Teasing Pitts up to +9 and the over in Car/Sea down to 38ish.

Don't bet on Pittsburgh.  As I've stated before-no team has ever made the Super Bowl that was not within 2 wins of best record in the conference.  To bet a 3 point underdog, you have to think they'll win the game outright.  Pittsburgh would have to do something that no other team in the 40 year history of the game has done. 

575764[/snapback]

didn't pitts. just get rid of that team???

I think this game is a big time under 42

I just did a count & the # of teams that have made the playoffs that were not within 2 wins of best record in the conference (or league the 1st 4 SBs) is 130 give or take a couple. So if Pittsburgh wins they'll be doing something 130 teams before them haven't done. I'll take the type of odds that Denver has of winning the game 24/7.

I just did a count & the # of teams that have made the playoffs that were not within 2 wins of best record in the conference (or league the 1st 4 SBs) is 130 give or take a couple.  So if Pittsburgh wins they'll be doing something 130 teams before them haven't done.  I'll take the type of odds that Denver has of winning the game 24/7.

576386[/snapback]

You guys keep bringing this up. It's a nice stat, it really is. And I think it's cool that someone will do this kind of homework. However, there is one key flaw in the thinking. You state that "To bet a 3 point underdog, you have to think they'll win the game outright."

That's not what he's saying. What he is saying is that Pittsburgh probably WILL lose...just not by more than 3 points. Now, if you want to do something useful for a gambler, go back and count the number of teams that made the playoffs that were not within 2 wins of best conference record, and let me know how they did vs. the spread. I've got $20 says that 130 number drops dramatically.

Plus, you can expect a very low scoring game with a hyped up Pittsburgh defense, which plays into the dog. The thing that gives Denver the edge is that Jake can roll and throw, unlike Manning. But Plummer, like many quarterbacks, have a raised level of suckitude when being pressured.

Not picking on your fact checking; just correcting the basis on which you assume he is betting.