Why Ralph Wilson isn't in the Hall of Fame

Gambler

After watching the team flounder for about 35 of the last 45 years, it is a mystery to me.

The last week has the nation wondering also. Maybe a better question would be -

Hall of Fame for What?

Most bad coaches and GM's hired by an owner possibly.

At least we Bills fans can look forward to Ralph taking a more hands on approach.

Now I feel better.

hmmm, the afl, the afl-nfl merger, revenue sharing, 2 afl championships, 4 afc championships, 46 years in the same city, first guy to sell naming rights of the stadium, floating a loan to the pats and raiders so they wouldn't fold, etc. Listen, the guy has been in the nfl for 50 years and has been instrumental to building the game we see today. Age spots and painful press conferences at age 90 wouldn't sway my vote if i had one.

The real truth is the guy has somehow been blackballed. He'll get into the HOF no more than one year after his death.

hmmm, the afl, the afl-nfl merger, revenue sharing, 2 afl championships, 4 afc championships, 46 years in the same city, first guy to sell naming rights of the stadium, floating a loan to the pats and raiders so they wouldn't fold, etc.  Listen, the guy has been in the nfl for 50  years and has been instrumental to building the game we see today.  Age spots and painful press conferences at age 90 wouldn't sway my vote if i had one. 

The real truth is the guy has somehow been blackballed.  He'll get into the HOF no more than one year after his death.

568303[/snapback]

Amen, its amazing how some folks just don't get it.

The way Ralph handled this offseason so far, it's not likely that he'll get in until long after he's wormcake.

You can't have a nearly-senile old man getting "more involved" with your football operations and still expect to attract coaching talent.

I will be shocked if Wilson and Levy can pull this off.

The way Ralph handled this offseason so far, it's not likely that he'll get in until long after he's wormcake.

You can't have a nearly-senile old man getting "more involved" with your football operations and still expect to attract coaching talent.

I will be shocked if Wilson and Levy can pull this off.

568327[/snapback]

This offseason, any other off season or any season in general has zippo to do with HOF credentials. Owners are inducted as contributors, that is, what they have done for the game. Not wins and losses, not personnel decisions, not team chemistry, just contribution to the game. In that, RW's credentials are impeccable.

This offseason, any other off season or any season in general has zippo to do with HOF credentials.  Owners are inducted as contributors,  that is, what they have done for the game.  Not wins and losses, not personnel decisions, not team chemistry, just contribution to the game.  In that, RW's credentials are impeccable.

568340[/snapback]

IMO, it's about building a winning organization over the long term, and facts are that he has not done it.

Are you seriously questioning Ralph Wilson's credibility to be in the HOF?

568314[/snapback]

I guess a guy basically responsible for keeping two different AFL franchises, that were not his own, buy helping them make payroll, and that league thus forced a merger and changed football forever is unimportant.

If he doesn't derserve to be in the HOF then remove all the owners.

IMO, it's about building a winning organization over the long term, and facts are that he has not done it.

568659[/snapback]

Opinion doesn't matter, owners can only be inducted as contributors which includes guys like commissioners, league presidents and even a supervisor of officials. Wins and loses count for zip. In fact, HOF'er Charles Bidwell's Chicago Cardinals of 1933-1947 posted a record of 56-129-8, including 2 winless seasons and only 3 winning seasons.

Who votes for the finalists?????

If ESPN is involved in any way, d?onahoe's cornies/puppets will do anything to hurt Ralph Wilson.

The NFL is more political than the federal government, and we know how well the puppet master works politics.

This is the reason Ralph didn't make the finalist cuts.

:pirate: Ralph invested $100,000.00 to secure the Bills franchise; it is now worth about 500 million. Thats reward enough for "keeping" the franchise in Buffalo. The sad truth is that its been a horribly run franchise for much of its existence. Read Jim Kelly's autobiography as to why he chose the USFL over Buffalo - the organization was in shambles. Loses #1 pick Tom Cousineau the same way. Ralph is a guy who made 500 million, plus turning a profit every year and he squeezes nickels. In an era when parity rules and coaching is so important, he consistently has the league's lowest paid head coach & staff. His fellow owners ruled against him and sanctioned him for trying to screw Wade Phillips out of $750,000 - his last years contract. He fired the greatest GM in history, Polian. Did the same to Butler and his staff, because he was unwilling to pay the going rate for a GM.

Hall of Fame - this guy belongs in the Hall of Shame.

What has George Young done other than with the Giants? Yes he was good there for about ten years?? I wouldn't think thats nearly as much as Ralph has done over 45 years

If I've said it once, I've said it a dozen times... Ralph Wilson will not get into the HOF before George Young does. End of story.

569621[/snapback]

Remember when Art Modell dissed Cleveland Browns fans everywhere when he took the team to Baltimore? Ralph Wilson had the class to welcome some of Cleveland's dog pound to Buffalo home games. That was vision. That was classy. Many fans across the league were shocked at what happened to Cleveland. Ralph Wilson had the sense to do something positive about it.

What happened to Cleveland was wrong. The Browns fans are some of the best in the league and have been very supportive of their franchise for many years. I hope that what happened to the Browns fans does not happen to Bills fans or any other franchise for that matter. Buffalo and several other teams have been mentioned as possible candidates for a franchise shift to Los Angeles. Bills fans and fans of every team on that list need to unite against the greedy powers that be (Tagliabue, corporate sponsors and the media) to let them know that being treated as Cleveland was is unacceptable. Los Angeles can have a team. Los Angles can have an expansion team with all the fees and limitations of all the expansion teams that came before them.

What has George Young done other than with the Giants?  Yes he was good there for about ten years??  I wouldn't think thats nearly as much as Ralph has done over 45 years

569730[/snapback]

:pirate:

Do your own research and then get back to me.