We may keep Big Mike...

I dont even want him here for the minimum. Sounds to lazy to me from all the different reports i have heard with him milking his injuries and his hour long tape jobs. I dont want someone like that around in my lockeroom.

Sounds to me he wants to take a cut because he knows he will be out of a job in the NFL soon if he leaves the Bills.

I guess one benefit to this guy being a big softie is that he is doesn't seem to have an overinflated sense of his value.

From Sportsline

562780[/snapback]

coming from a player that means converting salary into signing bonus and not reducing his actual cash.-

It doesn't mean pay "cut" (See Drew Bledsoe last restructuring)

coming from a player that means converting salary into signing bonus and not reducing his actual cash.-

It doesn't mean pay "cut"  (See Drew Bledsoe last restructuring)

562811[/snapback]

My sense is that by rule under the CBA that this is the only way that MW could renegotiate his deal to reduce his cap hit as players are simply restricted by the CBA from aggreeing to a reduction in salary below some small %.

I think he has to go because there is no way to reduce his salary to a cap hit for the Bills which matches his output on the field without extending his contract for far llonger than the Bills would be interested in having him.

My sense is that by rule under the CBA that this is the only way that MW could renegotiate his deal to reduce his cap hit as players are simply restricted by the CBA from aggreeing to a reduction in salary below some small %.

I think he has to go because there is no way to reduce his salary to a cap hit for the Bills which matches his output on the field without extending his contract for far llonger than the Bills would be interested in having him.

562817[/snapback]

But could he not 1) be cut and re-signed, or 2) extended at vet minimum with incentives?

I would assume his bonus money would not be as hard to swallow if we followed the second example.

I am not sold on MW's desire, but I do think he has the ability if he or the coaches can convince himself to take his game to another level. It has to hurt McNally to not see that happening after two years together. Then again, his first impression of Mike was as a slob who came into their first camp together horribly out of shape... Seems he and McNally have never really been on the same page, or if they have it's only been for that brief glimmer in late '04.

If he REALLY wants to be here, cut him now and then re-sign him later in the spring to a contract which is equal to his level of play. 

Just say no to "restructuring his contract".

562827[/snapback]

Well, restructuring and renegotiating, I think, are two different things. The former implies moving the money around to be more cap-palatable or to delay cap hits. The latter I believe implies a pay cut or an extension at a lower salary.

Edit: problem with the first scenario is (I am pretty sure) we pay his accelerated signing bonus cap hit, and then will still be paying for his next contract on top of that. Not the worst option if your figures for the coming year look good and you're way under the cap, though. Maybe a cap god can help out here.

I think vet minimum with heavy incentives for starting 14 games or more and Pro Bowl would be really helpful. Of course, we have no idea if the guy is already set for life financially or not, maybe money wouldn't matter.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

The sooner this bust is playing for the Raiders, the better.

Just think - This fat tub of goo made more money for sitting out one game for PMS pain then most of us will make in 5 freaking years of working 40 hour weeks..

F him...

If he REALLY wants to be here, cut him now and then re-sign him later in the spring to a contract which is equal to his level of play. 

Just say no to "restructuring his contract".

562827[/snapback]

You're opinion is dead on and getting no respect !

But could he not 1) be cut and re-signed, or 2) extended at vet minimum with incentives?

I would assume his bonus money would not be as hard to swallow if we followed the second example.

I am not sold on MW's desire, but I do think he has the ability if he or the coaches can convince himself to take his game to another level.  It has to hurt McNally to not see that happening after two years together.  Then again, his first impression of Mike was as a slob who came into their first camp together horribly out of shape...  Seems he and McNally have never really been on the same page, or if they have it's only been for that brief glimmer in late '04.

562826[/snapback]

I think those are certainly two options that would work but the implications of those two options are the things which make them very unlikely to happen because they would not accomplish the main goals for making a move for one party or the other.

As you observe under option 1 (renegtiating for all intents and purposes) when the Bills cut him all his bonus accelerates to this year's cap and we take the same cap hit as letting him go. In theory under this formulation we can keep him as a prospect for negotiating some reasonable pay out for us, but we do run the risk of one of the other teams coming in with either better incentives or a flat out bonus for this 26 year old tackle.

Who knows, but we take a definite hit and we are not in control of the next step.

Under item 2 we retain control and do not take as big a cap hit but this "restructuring" ends up meaning that MW really is willing to give up making big bucks from his next contract (by extrending at NFL minimum salaries for some huge number of out years so that all of his bonus gets prorated). In essence, it would extend the term of his initial contract from 6 years to 9 or more for no more money beyond the NFL vet minimum.

It simply does not seem to make a lot of sense, particularly when at 26 MW will almost certainly have some market value to some team somewhere.

Bruce Smith thanks Marv Levy for getting him on track. Smith was very overweight and out of shape early in his career. Maybe Marv can do the same for Mike Williams.

He says he and his family liek it here. They like the small city and he will play OG if it means he can stay in Buffalo.

Some players just take time to mature into the NFL.