Damn you Terrence McGee!

Nah.  They sucked.

557395[/snapback]

They would have, without a strong supporting cast. Tarkenton and Young weren't exactly huge threats during their stints with the Giants and Tampa, respectively.

That was due, at least in part, by the fact that they didn't have the kind talent surrounding them they had in Minnesota and San Francisco.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Donahoe just got the axe because he didn't have sense enough to build from the trenches outward.  Name me ONE superbowl champion that had subpar offensive or defensive line.

It all comes down to these simple question and answers:

Q: Can a team succeed with an average QB behind an outstanding O-line? A: YES.

Q: Can an outstanding QB succeed behind a below average line? A: No, not likely

Look no further than our own HOF QB Jim Kelly to confirm this. In the few instances where Kent Hull was out, his game suffered tremendously. The 1996 season, when Jimbo played behind a crappy line (still wayyy better than the 2005 version), he was far from being the Jim Kelly of years prior.

When the line is superior, you can manage the game with power running, sprinkled with occasional passes when the situation dictates. If you control the clock, your defense gets rested, making them more effective as well.

With an O- line as porous and undisciplined as the Bills, even the best QB is going to have only sporadic successes behind center. The run game is undependable and the passing game is less than stellar with the defense in the backfield immediately after the snap of the ball.

Last thing to consider....there has been an enormous amount of "can't miss" QBs who've been a total bust. The QB position, more than any other, depends greatly on bringing them along at the right pace and maintaining their fragile young psyches so they don't beome mental casualties.

Brett Favre was expendable after being drafted by the Falcons. Not saying that Losman will be the next Brett Favre, but I'd sure like to see how well he progresses behind an actual NFL offensive line. And if Losman doesn't work out, just think how attractive it would be to a FA QB to come to a team with a line that will protect him.

557286[/snapback]

Great post. Too bad we couldn't email it to Donahoe about five years ago.

Q: Can a team succeed with an average QB behind an outstanding O-line? A: YES.

Q: Can an outstanding QB succeed behind a below average line? A: No, not likely

557286[/snapback]

What everyone seems to be missing is that I feel we can (or could rather) strengthen our O-Line and get an upgrade at QB.

I'm not saying draft Vince Young and we're set. No, not by a long-shot. I'm saying draft Vince Young, get someone like Max-Jean Giles in the 2nd, and a DT (or 2) in the 3rd (maybe Gabe Watson will be there, if not we could easily move from 3 to 2).

Sign Brantley and/or Hutchinson and do some shifting. Keep Sam Adams and try to sign Grady Jackson.

What everyone seems to be missing is that I feel we can (or could rather) strengthen our O-Line and get an upgrade at QB.

I'm not saying draft Vince Young and we're set. No, not by a long-shot. I'm saying draft Vince Young, get someone like Max-Jean Giles in the 2nd, and a DT (or 2) in the 3rd (maybe Gabe Watson will be there, if not we could easily move from 3 to 2).

Sign Brantley and/or Hutchinson and do some shifting. Keep Sam Adams and try to sign Grady Jackson.

557524[/snapback]

Then you're right back to the Tom Donahoe philosophy of "linemen?.....we don' need no stinkin' linemen. We'll just grab whoever is around after the first round".

Putting emphasis on skill positions and neglecting the trenches (with high level draft picks) is a monumental mistake in building a football team. Remember a guy named OJ? Not much more than an average RB in the years 1969-1971, before Lou Saban put a line in front of him.

Donahoe's early picks were mostly QBs, WRs, RBs, & DBs, etc., leaving the later rounds for the likes of Mike Pucillo, Ben Sobieski, Marques Sullivan, et al etc

The only impact player Donahoe ever procured for the O-line was been the injury prone Jonas Jennings, who thankfully left for free agency before he cost the Bills more cap space while he rehabbed.

Once you have the foundation of a team built (LINEMEN!!!!), the skill positions will take care of themselves, often with lesser talent. Do you really think Denver is amazingly adept at finding running backs? Sure, they're talented, but it's their O line that is the catalyst. BTW - they've also helped the somewhat better than average QB, Plummer, look like a stud. What if Carolina had gone for the sexy picks instead of Peppers?

A team with a multitude of weaknesses will continue on that path if they build their teams around receivers, QBs, and RBs. History proves it.

I hope that Ngata, Williams, or Ferguson are in Buffalo blue next fall.

I really don't think Vince Young is an NFL QB and I really don't think the team or the fans would swallow picking another round 1 QB...

The priority is the trenches wherever we pick....

557084[/snapback]

I agree. Young does not look like an NFl QB to me. No matter how good a runner ou are in college, rpofessional defenses just do not allow you to run around like that. Vick doesn't run wild, and NFL linemen are much faster than college line. I also do not like his throwing ability. Yes he us sccurate on short throws but I do not recall see him throw many 15 / 20 yard outs. Many of his completions were dump off passes.

He is a fantastic athlete but I am not sokd on him being a good NFL QB.