Clements' departure a surprise, more about marv

Schulman16

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...n_john#20060104

"Clement departure a surprise: The firing of Bills offensive coordinator Tom Clements is a surprise. Mularkey took the play-calling ability away from Clements and started calling the plays himself in the middle of the season. Mularkey never said anything publicly, but Clements was upset about the move. Clements ended up calling plays in the final months of the season but his relationship with the head coach wasn't the same. Over the next week, there could be as many as four changes on the coaching staff, some that will affect the defense.

Levy a matter of time: Marv Levy won't be announced for his front office role until Thursday or Friday, but he is coming. He's a general manager who isn't really the general manager. His job is to advise and evaluate. Owner Ralph Wilson will rely on Levy to give a true evaluation as to whether Mularkey is the right coach for the Bills. Mularkey has three more years on his contract, but 2006 will be a critical year for him."

Hmmm... I wonder when this second play-calling switch, if true, happened. Of course, I think Mularkey had veto power anyway, and used it often. And we hardly noticed any difference in the play-calling. From bad to bad and back to bad. For the most part at least.

555284[/snapback]

What a shock that the OC gets canned after being ranked 28th and 29th back to back years. Sounds like it was a surprise only to the great gazoo.

This article makes no sense.

Mularkey took the play-calling ability away from Clements and started calling the plays himself in the middle of the season.

followed by:

Clements ended up calling plays in the final months of the season

So the season starts in September, ends in December. Halfway point is end of October/start of November. Yet Clements was calling plays in "the final months." That means two months, meaning he called plays in November and December... So when exactly did he lose the play calling rights...? :lol:

Doesn't take much to be a journalist nowadays. Don't even need facts anymore!

CW

Clements ended up calling plays in the final months of the season but his relationship with the head coach wasn't the same.

If true - the blurb about Clements getting handed back the play calling duties is very interesting. It was alleged common knowledge that MM took it from Clements at some point, but if he did in fact hand it back to Clements - it was Clements with all the questionable play calling at the end of the season - something MM was getting ripped for. In some of those games I used to think to myself "How can MM call a play/series like that knowing he is getting crucified by the fans/media for just that type of play calling". Maybe it wasn't MM after all. Maybe Clements was pissed and trying to help dig MM's grave... :lol:

This article makes no sense.

followed by:

So the season starts in September, ends in December.  Halfway point is end of October/start of November.  Yet Clements was calling plays in "the final months."  That means two months, meaning he called plays in November and December...  So when exactly did he lose the play calling rights...?  :lol:

Doesn't take much to be a journalist nowadays.  Don't even need facts anymore!

CW

555293[/snapback]

It was reported several places that Mularkey took the play-calling from Clements around week five. That's early October. If he only kept them for 3-4 games, Clayton could have been quite accurate.

If true - the blurb about Clements getting handed back the play calling duties is very interesting.  It was alleged common knowledge that MM took it from Clements at some point, but if he did in fact hand it back to Clements - it was Clements with all the questionable play calling at the end of the season - something MM was getting ripped for.  In some of those games I used to think to myself "How can MM call a play/series like that knowing he is getting crucified by the fans/media for just that type of play calling".  Maybe it wasn't MM after all.  Maybe Clements was pissed and trying to help dig MM's grave... :lol:

555299[/snapback]

I just had a thought. :lol: Clements was TD's guy from the start. I wonder if he forced MM to give the play calling back to him after he took it away. It would sure connect the dots on some of the things Ralph said yesterday...

It was reported several places that Mularkey took the play-calling from Clements around week five. That's early October. If he only kept them for 3-4 games, Clayton could have been quite accurate.

555303[/snapback]

Week 5 isn't the halfway point of the season. It's not even a third of the way through the season. :lol:

Oh well, what can you do? :lol:

CW

I noticed in one of the later games, probably NJJ, there was a shot of Clements & Mularkey on the sidelines. TC had a cheatsheet & was communicating into the mic while MM was basically just standing there. Unless MM basically pulls the calls out his butt, tells TC who then relays them to the QB, it sure looks like in that game, TC was primarily responsible for them.