Can we please move MW to left guard now?

Not as flawed as yours.

Anyone supporting Lawrence Smith's play was clearly not watching the first 2 games closely. Smith is not a legitimate NFL starter; he's a preseason stud and nothing more.

MW has been a main sack offender because he's playing out in space where NFL-caliber DE speed is too much for him. As a guard, his limited mobility as a tackle instantly becomes above-average in pass protection, to go along with his already solid run-blocking abilities. I know he'll be horribly overpaid as a guard for the remainder of his contract (through 2005), so renegotiate with him or outright cut him. I don't care which way, I just no longer want MW playing tackle.

I already suggested Marcus Price as our starting RT. He's been pretty consistent for his entire career when given the opportunity to start, both with us and when he was with the Saints.

Nice try, Mr. Fingers. Now try again.

39352[/snapback]

There's a response for everything. And don't mess with Fingers.

I could argue, if Price is so good, why hasn't he been a starter in this league? I could also argue that Lawrence Smith has exceeded all expectations thus far, beating out Tucker, last year's starter (I know, not saying much) and anyone else at that guard position. You're writing him off after two weeks when he has had some great run blocks. I don't think you write off anyone who has shown some positives -- you write off the guys who are outright failing.

Smith is a prime candidate for the McNally program, as compared to Big Mike, who has been messed up by three years of different coaches and is just starting to get his head on straight. I'm saying, the McNally lines generally get better as the year progresses. The sky is not falling, a lot of those missed blocks were on the backs, and Bledsoe has played like shite. Give it a rest. Shuffling the line around is just going to cause more disarray. Any of these 5 starters will tell you that one change completely disrupts the chemistry.

So maybe I'll give it a shot.

First, how many sacks has Mike given up this season so far?  I assume that you've reviewed the game tape for the past two games carefully in order to support this position?

Also, I have watched the two games and I have watched Smith and although he has struggled at times with assignments and run blocking (as any first year starter will be expected to do, he actually performed quite well.

You see, the thing is you guys love to throw all of this theory around as if you know what your talking about, but the reality is that you don't.  Most of those sacks were caused by exploiting the Bills blocking scheme up the middle.  Two guys can't block three.  Last time I checked I don't recall Smith's job assignment including the need to block more than one guy.

The most offensive of the sacks (at least three of them) were failed blitz pick-ups by backs and Hbacks.  A few more of them (at least two of them) were coverage sacks where Drew simply hung onto the ball to damn long and should have thrown the thing away.  But you are now telling us all how Smith is a failure at guard and so is Williams at tackle.  Without knowledge of the Bills blocking assignments on any particular play, without knowledge of what the Raiders were doing defensively on any particular play, you are merely engaging in mental masturbation in explaining to us all how we need to fix the O-line.

You guys make me laugh!  Rico states with authority that Williams is a bust because he can't pass block or run block, yet he cites no stats on sacks allowed for the games played this year nor does he cite any other stats that would possibly support his position, such as a comparison of success between runs to the right and left, or breakdowns of plays that failed due to a failed block by the guard vs the tackle on the right side. 

But please, by all means keep us entertained with your solid expertise in O-line play and personnel evaluation.  :)

39363[/snapback]

BB, certainly you will agree that there are differing opinions on, and terminology of just what constitutes a "bust." Then, to what degree is a player a "bust?" Here is my take:

When a team plays bad enough to acquire a #4, both the team and their fans have a right to see the selection have some positive impact on a team. Wrt Big Mike, here we are arguing about whether or not he was "tossed like a rag doll" or just flat out beaten by a semi-unknown linebacker.

I tried as hard as I could to isolate on Big Mike vs the raiders, and he did OK from what I saw, but I was only able to focus on him approx 1/2 the time.

My bottom line is simple....If he was a 3rd round pick, I would be OK with his play, but he was not. Again, he was a #4 in round 1, and is taking up WAY to much cap space as compared to his production. In hindsight, I am sorry he was selected. My guess is that you are too. So, is he a bust? All in all, I would say of course he is.

All we can do is hope that his play improves, if only to a level where we are not speculating as to whether or not he can even play RT instead of OG.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

LOL. You guys defending MW are hilarious. I don't need to see the "stats" to tell you MW has been getting his ass handed to him, he's still over weight, still to slow, and a terrible draft pick for #4 overall.

If he can't play guard, as some suggest, then where in the world does he play ? He isn't doing the job at right tackle, he sure as hell can't be moved to the left side as was the master plan when he was drafted.

Lets face the facts. This guy is below average and if they didn't have so much tied up in him, he would have already been on the bench.

As for Smith what can you say, he's a street free agent. I wasn't really expecting much.

MW has played very well running the ball. The commentators on satellite radio kept commentating on how he was "having his way" with whatever DL the Raiders threw at him. He played excellent the first week against a very good DL in Jacksonville. Bledsoe was responsible for probably 3-4 sacks and the OL/RB not picking up blitzes another 3. I have no problem switching MW to guard just b/c Price is probably a better lineman than Sape and you want your best 5 lineman in the game. But Price is definitely not better than Williams, and Williams is by far the best run-blocker on the team.

IMO SMith is adequate, and s probably on eof the best pulling guards the bills have had in a while, the guy can get out there and make some blocks when he is pulling.  MW does not have the speed nor the body to be a guard.

39806[/snapback]

That may well be so. I'm not ready to give up on him just quite yet.

Wonder if he could be converted to DT? Yes, I know that might be outrageous...;)

D-tackle would be interesting. Put his 400+ lbs in the middle of the line ala Ted Washington. Never happen though.

39896[/snapback]

It would take a full training camp and a lot of off-season work. But like you say, it would be interesting. I can't recall any recent names, but it's been done both ways - OL to DL and DL to OL.

The last "true" 2-way player was Chuck Bednarick of the '60s Eagles, although WR's and DB's play both from time to time.

Smith is the best option at LG, guard is not Williams' position, he just needs to get his ass in gear.  And he needs games at tackle under our new staff's tutelage to get there.  If he doesn't get there, we cut him.  We're not paying him this well to be a guard.

Bingo! Economics dictate as much as talent in today's NFL. A prime example is the situation in Cincinnati. After a phenomenal season, John Kitna was replaced by Carson Palmer for one reason and one reason alone...money. Does Cincy make that move so quickly if not for their investment in Palmer? Unlikely.

Mike Williams is being paid tackle money, plain and simple. He either plays at tackle or he's released. You won't find any guards making his salary, nor will you see any drafted that high. It may be frustrating but that's the way it is...you won't see a position change by MW. RtDB is right.