Gregg Easterbrook note on Buffalo

Easterbrook had a good review of the end of Sunday night NFL Primetime on ESPN.

This was his comment about the Bills.

The second-most predictable action this season was Buffalo play faking then throwing to blocking back Daimon Shelton in the flat on short-yardage downs. Shelton is a hard working blocker, but possibly the slowest person ever to line up in an NFL backfield. (William "The Refrigerator" Perry was actually surprisingly quick for his size.) In three games before Week 17, Buffalo failed at the goal line by trying to throw to Shelton in the flat on third-and-goal; each time the defense appeared to have been notified by mail where the ball was going. Sunday, the Bills facing third-and-goal at the Jets 4, Buffalo play faked and threw into the flat for Shelton, who was immediately stopped for a 1-yard gain, the Bills settling for a field goal in a game they would ultimately lose by four points. So many Jersey/B defenders were around Shelton on this play it was as if there had been a bright flashing arrow pointing to him at the snap. Though the early call to Shelton meant the predictable play had backfired four times in a row, later in the game Mike Mularkey called it again! Interception returned for a touchdown

Easterbrook had a good review of the end of Sunday night NFL Primetime on ESPN.

This was his comment about the Bills.

The second-most predictable action this season was Buffalo play faking then throwing to blocking back Daimon Shelton in the flat on short-yardage downs. Shelton is a hard working blocker, but possibly the slowest person ever to line up in an NFL backfield. (William "The Refrigerator" Perry was actually surprisingly quick for his size.) In three games before Week 17, Buffalo failed at the goal line by trying to throw to Shelton in the flat on third-and-goal; each time the defense appeared to have been notified by mail where the ball was going. Sunday, the Bills facing third-and-goal at the Jets 4, Buffalo play faked and threw into the flat for Shelton, who was immediately stopped for a 1-yard gain, the Bills settling for a field goal in a game they would ultimately lose by four points. So many Jersey/B defenders were around Shelton on this play it was as if there had been a bright flashing arrow pointing to him at the snap. Though the early call to Shelton meant the predictable play had backfired four times in a row, later in the game Mike Mularkey called it again! Interception returned for a touchdown

550424[/snapback]

did he mention in his piece that the bills scored 26 points against a good defense and only lost because of a special teams breakdown?

did he mention in his piece that the bills scored 26 points against a good defense and only lost because of a special teams breakdown?

550516[/snapback]

4 interceptions. Running a no huddle offense with 5 minutes left, trailing by 4 points? Absurd. There is never a reason to throw the ball to Shelton...he is slow, can't catch, and has no moves.

They had some success throwing to Parrish. Why bail on that?

The Jets defense was missing something like 4 starters.

The Bills could've won the game. The kickoff return was big, but they had already given up too much via interception and long passes to Nate's receivers.

I've got to say it, because it happens so rarely-- "I told you so!!"

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=32861&hl=

550447[/snapback]

I never saw your original thread... but nice job on picking that crap out. now that I sit and think about it, they really did love to pass to Shelton. Why? Why do these head coaches love to pass to Shelton?

And now that I think about it, Shelton is old washed up and now its time to get a new FB on this team.

Git 'er done... uhmm TD (while you still have a job)

On the interception that Shelton "tried" to catch, I laughed till I cried because he was running backward with his back to the endzone and falling over at the same time! The actual "pitch-out" he literally handed the Jets was the most unbelievable thing about the play. It typifies the stupidity of the play calling and the epitome of a stupid player on any given play in a Bills uniform!!! The pitch-out couldn't have looked any better (in a Jets fans sense!) than a option QB heading down the line and tossing it to a back! PITIFUL!!!

550516[/snapback]

B-)

I didn't hear it, but I'd bet that there was a better chance they mentioned the Jets record, their QB, their RB, and the fact that they are one of the worst teams in the league.

"only lost because of a special teams breakdown"

Quite possibly the least thought out statement I've seen on this board since the season ended....and that's really saying something.

B-)

I didn't hear it, but I'd bet that there was a better chance they mentioned the Jets record, their QB, their RB, and the fact that they are one of the worst teams in the league.

"only lost because of a special teams breakdown" 

Quite possibly the least thought out statement I've seen on this board since the season ended....and that's really saying something.

551021[/snapback]

the bills had shut down their offense except for two plays. if the jets start at their 25 yard line, they have to go 50 yards to get into reasonable field goal position with 5 minutes to go. i seriously doubt they would have been able to do it, since they hadn't really moved the ball well all day. so, yes, the bills would have won if not for that play.