CJPearl2

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's where we stand right now:

After the early games on Sunday Buffalo has the #10 pick in the Draft. I am going to pencil Tennessee in as a loser until that score changes significantly.

If San Francisco and Dallas win the Bills move into a tie with Arizona for the #9 spot.

If San Francisco and St. Louis win, the Bills move up to #8.

Again, assuming a Tennessee loss, we can narrow our draft position to #8 - #10.

JDG - Crunching the SOS numbers as we go......

Taking a look at that link WRT SOS, ALL of the 5-11 teams played (or will play in STL case) better teams than the Bills today, so all improved in SOS except for the Bills, who sunk below even the Rams.  So whether the Rams win or lose doesn't matter, and there is no coin flip with ARZ because they have a much higher SOS after facing Indy.  Again the Bills are at worst 8th, and could be 7th depending on whether the Titans win.

547220[/snapback]

Depends on how you calculate it. Going into this weekend, for instance, you could have calculated the Bills SOS with or without the Jets then 3-12 record. In other words, factoring in records of opponents yet to be played. If that's the case, there will be very little variation in the SOS for the 5 win teams.

After the early games on Sunday Buffalo has the #10 pick in the Draft.  I am going to pencil Tennessee in as a loser until that score changes significantly.

If San Francisco and Dallas win the Bills move into a tie with Arizona for the #9 spot.

If San Francisco and St. Louis win, the Bills move up to #8.

Again, assuming a Tennessee loss, we can narrow our draft position to #8 - #10.

JDG - Crunching the SOS numbers as we go......

What does SF have to do with anything? Did you mean STL?

And again, the early games give the Bills the 8th pick. Redo the numbers.

Re-read post #14 where I explain why the outcome of the Rams game doesn't matter.

547240[/snapback]

This is incorrect. You neglected to account for all the other wins and losses this weekend - which have substantially altered the SOS standings.

The Rams have currently clinched a weaker SOS than the Bills, thus the Bills can only catch them if the Rams win.

JDG

Eh?  The link above has the Bills as the 2nd-easiest SOS of the 5-11 teams.  And after today, it's the worst (.500 for week 16=120-120 opponents record, added to the 4-12 Jets' record, gives you 124-132 = .484).  The Rams play the Cowboys which raises their SOS (.488=117-123 plus 10-6 [if the Cowboys win]=127-129=.496), so the outcome of that game doesn't matter.  So the Bills have at worst the 8th pick in the draft, unless Tenn beats the Jags, and then it's the 7th.

So go Titans!!

547194[/snapback]

Does that mean back-to-back picks near the top of the 3rd round, no matter what the Titans do today? Awesome! :lol:

Re-read post #14 where I explain why the outcome of the Rams game doesn't matter.

Your whole basis is completly flawed...

As of right now, our SOS is around .500 and stl is around .480. Those are the numbers. The STL game MATTERS. (assuming one believes gaining an extra draft spot matters...)

What does SF have to do with anything?  Did you mean STL?

And again, the early games give the Bills the 8th pick.  Redo the numbers.

547259[/snapback]

A San Francisco win substantially increases Arizona's strength of schedule, because Arizona has played San Francisco *twice*.

JDG

547240[/snapback]

The problem is that method doesn't factor in how all the opponents of the Bills and Rams did in week 17. Not only do the Bills and Rams get the week 17 opponents record tacked on (Jets 3-13, Dallas either 9-7 or 10-6), but every other team they faced this season can either win or lose this week also. So our SOS is still being influenced by HOU, while the rest of the 5-11 teams SOS is still being influenced if team's on their schedule have yet to play week 17.

The problem is that method doesn't factor in how all the opponents of the Bills and Rams did in week 17. Not only do the Bills and Rams get the week 17 opponents record tacked on (Jets 3-13, Dallas either 9-7 or 10-6), but every other team they faced this season can either win or lose this week also. So our SOS is still being influenced by HOU, while the rest of the 5-11 teams SOS is still being influenced if team's on their schedule have yet to play week 17.

I know. I already admitted I blew it.

I've crunched a few more numbers, and narrowed our possibilities.

After the early games on Sunday Buffalo is currently tied with Arizona for the #9 pick in the draft. I am going to pencil Tennessee in as a loser until that score changes significantly.

If Houston and Dallas win, the Bills stay tied with Arizona for #9.

If San Francisco and Dallas win the Bills claim the #9 spot outright.

If St. Louis wins, the Bills move up to #8.

Again, assuming a Tennessee loss, we can narrow our draft position to #8 - #10, #10 occurring if we tie Arizona and lose the coin-flip.

JDG - Who really aught to have better things to do on a Sunday.....