Nate Clements Returning Punts

Matt in KC

I like Nate, and think he has tremendous talent... but, taking the position of Bills management, why wouldn't we have Nate return punts this year? He was clearly better than anyone we have fielded. Also, and I know this is an unpleasant angle, leaving him in this role might also pressure him to sign a new contract because of the increased risk of getting hurt.

To try to answer this question myself, my two best guesses are:

1) Losing Kevin Thomas made an injury to Nate a devastating possibility, the same as TKO's injury (I believe) caused us to pull Fletcher out of the kick return wedge.

2) Suspecting we'll be without Nate in 2006, we're looking for a move permanent replacement in this role (and Fast Freddie doesn't look like he'll cut it).

Doesn't his contract situation negate the usual concern about exposing one of your stars to a greater likelihood of injury?

Clements has had two years in which he's returned more than 10 punts, in neither of those years has he averaged more per punt return than Parrish has this year. There's absolutely no point in risking Clements on punt returns.

Clements has had two years in which he's returned more than 10 punts, in neither of those years has he averaged more per punt return than Parrish has this year.  There's absolutely no point in risking Clements on punt returns.

546521[/snapback]

Okay, so it looks like Nate had a return average under 10 yards per return in '03 and '04, less than I remember. But, according to the NFL Punt Return stats page his averages in those years would make him the the sixth or ninth best punt returner in the league this year.

Roscoe Parrish's return average of 13.3 yards is much better than I would have guessed (with the relatively low number of returns, that 43 yarder really helps).

Why do you think Roscoe is not listed on the NFL stats page? The lowest number of returns I see on that page is 19 (versus Roscoe's 12). Do you think the cut-off for minimum number of returns to qualify is between 12 and 19?? Is Roscoe the league's top punt returner, or is something screwed up with that stat page?

well my best guess is that its a combination of things-nate cant be risked due to the lack of depth at cb after thomas' injury, plus giving roscoe every opportunity, plus not wanting to inflate nate's value any further by giving him a great return opportunity every wk. these are the greatest overall special teams in nfl history, without a doubt. nate would have returned 1 or 2 punts for td's this yr, inflating his value astronomically. td never gave this team a chance, and ordered the change, to give himself a chance to resign clements at some type of reasonable value.

Why do you think Roscoe is not listed on the NFL stats page?  The lowest number of returns I see on that page is 19 (versus Roscoe's 12).  Do you think the cut-off for minimum number of returns to qualify is between 12 and 19??  Is Roscoe the league's top punt returner, or is something screwed up with that stat page?

546525[/snapback]

Yeah, he must not have enough to qualify. Funnily enough even if Roscoe got 0 yards on his next 7 returns he'd rank #14 in the league. Parrish is doing a good job considering he's coming off an injury and had never returned punts in the NFL before. However, after that muff in the Miami game I cringe everytime I see him move up to make a fair catch.

Nate Clements was replaced by Fast Freddie after he fumbled the punt in the Steelers game last year which gave the Steelers the 1st score.

546539[/snapback]

im sorry but nate did return punts at the beginning of this year. nate and freddy smith were returning punts at about a 2 to 1 ratio at the end of last yr, however. thanks for your contribution.

im sorry but nate did return punts at the beginning of this year.  nate and freddy smith were returning punts at about a 2 to 1 ratio at the end of last yr, however.  thanks for your contribution.

546540[/snapback]

Man, your an Ass.

But anyways, Roscoe was hurt. If he was healthy, Nate or Smith wouldnt have 1 return this year.

Both Nate and Smith split returns this year until Parrish got healthy.

Last year Clements had 45 return chances and Smith had 9, thats not 2 to 1.