This team is so !@#$ed.

Well, the Bills have no had the #1 Special Teams in the NFL for two years running.... so there is *something*.

JDG

544737[/snapback]

OHHHHHHHHH, I widh you didn't say that.

The Bills had the #2 D for two years in a row and we saw how that turned out.

This season was SUPPOSED to be the season to rely on the D and Special Teams while the Offense was supposed to get their act together with a young, new QB.

That didn't happen.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know with the resigning of Crowell, I think the FO is still active.  To be honest there seems to be more indications lately that Donahoe will be around next year. 

There was speculation that the forcing out of Bledsoe and starting Losman, along with the drafting of Parrish to be a Antwan Randell-El were Mularkey demands and not really what the front office wanted per say. 

I think with Holcomb starting now, the coach being real quiet about it, and the team basically pissing on Mularkey until Holcomb was named the starter again, that is probably how things went down. 

Again, do not be surprsed to see TD stay, and either MM gone, or a real strong assistant HD brought in, who will in fact be given a lot of power and say over how the team is built, trained, run especially come gameday.  MM if he stays will probably be more of a OC will limited control and duties.  If fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ralph pull a Wade on him, and try to force him out or to resign and then withhold salary.

544594[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding me. Their is so way that Ralph retains TD, maybe Mularkey but Ralph's a smart man and must know what that alone could do to ticket sales. Sorry but I see the signing of Crowell as TD's last piece of work as the Bills GM-Thank God, Praise Jesus

I think you and I know better than to fall back on the draft selection to gauge the player's performance.  No, I'm not ready to proclaim him as the second coming, but the difference between J Smith & the guys that you mentioned is that he has scored a TD in an NFL game.    OTOH, other than his 2nd round draft status, Parrish hasn't showed why he shouldn't be benched.

I think that Parrish has shown some flashes. He looks very fast to me, and he definitely has some moves. I think that everone's disappointment with this year has created irrational expectations for what Parrish should have contributed this year coming off an injury, but I think that the signs of potential are all there....

And this is where I disagree.  Mid-2nd round picks are absolutely expected to contribute in their first year. 

Well, just for yucks, I decided to take a look at the 2nd-round draft performance of this year's class.

David Baas - 12 games, 4 starts,

Brodney Pool, DB - 12 games, 0 starts, 30 tackles

Reggie Brown, WR - 15 games, 10 starts, 36 catches

Barrett Ruud, LB - 15 games, 0 starts, 13 tackles

Shaun Cody, DE - 15 games, 2 starts, 27 tackles, 1.5 sacks

Stanford Routt, DB - 13 games, 2 starts, 22 tackles

Mark Bradley, WR - 7 games, 4 starts, 18 catches

Josh Bullocks, S - 15 games, 12 starts, 61 tackles

Michael Roos, OT - 15 games, 15 starts

Kevin Burnett, LB - 15 games, 0 starts, 17 tackles

Corey Webster, DB - 14 games, 1 start, 32 tackles (10 in 1 start)

JJ Arrington, RB

Lofa Tatupu, LB - 15 games, 15 starts, 102 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 Int

Matt Roth, DE - 15 games, 0 starts, 18 tackles

Mike Nugent, PK

Odell Thurman - 15 games, 14 starts, 92 tackles, 5 Int

Marcus Johnson - 14 games, 8 starts

Ronald Bartell, DB - 9 games, 6 starts, 21 tackles

Nick Collins, S - 15 games, 15 starts, 81 tackles

Khalif Barnes, OT - 15 games, 11 starts

Dan Cody (IR)

Eric Shelton, RB (Louisville!) - IR

Roscoe Parrish - 9 games, 1 start, 11 catches, 13.3 yards per punt return leads NFL by a half yard per return among those with at least 10 returns

Darrent Williams, DB - 12 games, 9 starts, 49 tackles

Justin Miller, DB - 15 games, 7 starts, 32 tackles

Terrence Murphy, WR (Packers) - IR

Jonathan Babineaux, DE - 15 games, 6 starts, 30 tackles, 0.5 sacks

Kelvin Hayden, DB (Colts) - 15 games, 0 starts, 19 tackles

Vincent Jackson, WR (Chargers) - 7 games, 0 starts, 3 catches

Bryant McFadden, WR (Steelers) - 11 games, 1 start, 17 tackles

Matt McCoy, LB (Eagles) - 3 games, 0 starts, 1 tackle

Adam Terry, OT - 6 games, 0 starts

I think that Parrish seems to have fallen right on the cusp of the drop-off from teams generally finding immediate contributors, to teams finding development prospects. The two DB's taken after Parrish have some decent numbers - but naturally would have a lot fewer being behind Clements and McGee in Buffalo. And Parrish's numbers certainly compare favorably to those others taken after him, especially considering that he was hurt for the first half of the year, especially considering the special teams contribution.

JDG

Nowhere did I say that a lineman should have been taken ahead of Parrish, expecially given what was on the board.  But the same logic that you applied to looking ahead at the WR corps could be used to look at the weakness of depth at the LB & DB positions.  I had to do a double take to remember that Mario Haggan is still on the Bills roster.

And that is the key in looking at the draft board, how much of an improvement would Parrish be to the existing roster vs other available players.

545151[/snapback]

I see this concept as being one of our problems under TD - drafting/signing the best available athlete. What that leaves us with is a group of good athletes, minus a team of players.

Now, I can't remember everything by any means, but I seem to recall our team through much of the 90's drafting and signing free agents that fit into our team, that Marv liked and that filled positions that we needed better personnel at. Much like the Patriots do now. In the end we always had a good team, that played competivitely.

Over the last several years, we draft/sign the best player at the time. But, we're not addressing what the team needs are, nor are we bringing in players that fit into the coaches philosophy of our to win. So we're ending up with talented players that aren't playing well together and suffering the inconsistency that follows.

That is my biggest problem with TD. In 5 years, he's not brought in Coaches or players that together would make a great team. He's more like an accountant (hopefully I;m not offending any accountants here). He's looking at the numbers and saving money and filling positions bast on who's best and at the right price, etc. So, the team is very well managed and on paper looks great - financially and talent-wise. However, we're missing the key ingredients that make up a winning team. And he can't see it because he's too busy ranking players talents and salaries and such.

So, I say screw who's best in the draft. We need line help we better draft nothing but linemen.

I think that Parrish has shown some flashes.  He looks very fast to me, and he definitely has some moves.  I think that everone's disappointment with this year has created irrational expectations for what Parrish should have contributed this year coming off an injury, but I think that the signs of potential are all there....

Well, just for yucks, I decided to take a look at the 2nd-round draft performance of this year's class.

David Baas - 12 games, 4 starts,

Brodney Pool, DB - 12 games, 0 starts, 30 tackles

Reggie Brown, WR - 15 games, 10 starts,  36 catches

Barrett Ruud, LB - 15 games, 0 starts, 13 tackles

Shaun Cody, DE - 15 games, 2 starts, 27 tackles, 1.5 sacks

Stanford Routt, DB - 13 games, 2 starts, 22 tackles

Mark Bradley, WR - 7 games, 4 starts, 18 catches

Josh Bullocks, S - 15 games, 12 starts, 61 tackles

Michael Roos, OT - 15 games, 15 starts

Kevin Burnett, LB - 15 games, 0 starts, 17 tackles

Corey Webster, DB - 14 games, 1 start, 32 tackles (10 in 1 start)

JJ Arrington, RB

Lofa Tatupu, LB - 15 games, 15 starts, 102 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 Int

Matt Roth, DE - 15 games, 0 starts, 18 tackles

Mike Nugent, PK

Odell Thurman - 15 games, 14 starts, 92 tackles, 5 Int

Marcus Johnson - 14 games, 8 starts

Ronald Bartell, DB - 9 games, 6 starts, 21 tackles

Nick Collins, S - 15 games, 15 starts, 81 tackles

Khalif Barnes, OT - 15 games, 11 starts

Dan Cody (IR)

Eric Shelton, RB (Louisville!) - IR

Roscoe Parrish - 9 games, 1 start, 11 catches, 13.3 yards per punt return leads NFL by a half yard per return among those with at least 10 returns

Darrent Williams, DB - 12 games, 9 starts, 49 tackles

Justin Miller, DB - 15 games, 7 starts, 32 tackles

Terrence Murphy, WR (Packers) - IR

Jonathan Babineaux, DE - 15 games, 6 starts, 30 tackles, 0.5 sacks

Kelvin Hayden, DB (Colts) - 15 games, 0 starts, 19 tackles

Vincent Jackson, WR (Chargers) - 7 games, 0 starts,  3 catches

Bryant McFadden, WR (Steelers) - 11 games, 1 start, 17 tackles

Matt McCoy, LB (Eagles) - 3 games, 0 starts, 1 tackle

Adam Terry, OT - 6 games, 0 starts

I think that Parrish seems to have fallen right on the cusp of the drop-off from teams generally finding immediate contributors, to teams finding development prospects.  The two DB's taken after Parrish have some decent numbers - but naturally would have a lot fewer being behind Clements and McGee in Buffalo.  And Parrish's numbers certainly compare favorably to those others taken after him, especially considering that he was hurt for the first half of the year, especially considering the special teams contribution.

JDG

545262[/snapback]

That's a nice list and all but you also have to consider the situation that each is in. For example, Adam Terry is a LT for Baltimore. So do you propose that they sit Ogden to start Terry? No. Baltimore picked him up as Ogden has started to show some chinks and injuries and are looking to the future.

The picking of parrish doesn't make sense as he is never going to be more then a ST returner with the #3 or #4 WR spot on the side. Not what this team needed, especially since we had Moulds, Evans and Reed.

Can someone please, as a mental exercise, tell me what there is to look forward to on this team? You have a rookie QB who won't get starts because a retard of a head coach wants one more win in a meaningless season. You've got a RB who just flat out mailed it in. You have an OL that is the worst in the league, bar none. You have a defense that can't tackle with a secondary that can't cover. And then there's the coaches and management. To me, this looks like the Hindenburg....Crash and burn.

544570[/snapback]

This is the most positive post you have made in 4 years we are DOOOOOMED