Sam Adams

MrLocke

I've read a fair amount that Schobel is really the only talent on the d-line this year and was curious if Sam Adam's play has fallen off or if it is that he is facing constant double teams or does he not want to play for this coaching staff ? If the Bills were to acquire another stud defensive tackle could Sam Adams return to his dominating self? Last year teams had to chose who they wanted to double team Adams or Williams and whoever was not double teamed could easily make plays. I want the rebuilding the d-line to be as easy as possible and if keeping Adams makes it easier then keep him.

I think it's a combination of: age, lack of support from the other D-Line players, and a change of scheme forced by the loss of Pat Williams.

Sam's a much better player when he's playing more of a pure DT as opposed to the hybrid-sort-of NT position that he plays now. Unfortunately it's been by necessity rather than by design. I don't know if he'll be here next year as age is catching up to him and his attitude has soured on MM.

I've read a fair amount that Schobel is really the only talent on the d-line this year and was curious if Sam Adam's play has fallen off or if it is that he is facing constant double teams or does he not want to play for this coaching staff ? If the Bills were to acquire another stud defensive tackle could Sam Adams return to his dominating self? Last year teams had to chose who they wanted to double team Adams or Williams and whoever was not double teamed could easily make plays. I want the rebuilding the d-line to be as easy as possible and if keeping Adams makes it easier then keep him.

542157[/snapback]

I hope Adams stays too. The man can still disrupt, and he and Schobel ARE the pass rush for this team. His presence was felt yesterday.

I also hope Fat Mike is retained, Moulds stays and Josh Reed stays and Clements is franchised. The main reason is that replacing them is going to be hard enough, let alone improving on them. How much a player makes is not an issue if the savings from cutting them won't translate into an improvement, and with the cap increasing again, free agency is basically going to be and empty cupboard.

With upwards of $10M in cap space available, we don't need to make cap room to make a run at the likes of LeCharles Bentley, Steve Hutchinson or Grady Jackson, and there figures to be a lot of competition for the few serviceable players available so they might not get what they want anyway. I'd rather have those guys back and hope they play up to their ability than be stuck with guys like Sape, Jerman and Aiken getting significant snaps and $10M in "emergency" cap space going to waste. I'm not happy with the play and attitude of a lot of those guys, but I've had enough subtraction by subtraction.

Clements is having a very poor season, but I'd hate to see him leave when they could put a tag on him and let him play thru his problems. For whatever reason he is not playing with the speed and explosiveness he has since he was drafted and I don't believe it's because of diminishing skills because he is VERY young. If this team can improve it's pass rush, Clements and McGee could become the NFL's top pic 6 combo.

Adams problem is he's not a team player. Because of the FA departure of Pat Williams,Adams is being asked to play more of a 2 gap style and stop the run.That's not his style,even though he has the size and strength to do so. So instead of going out and doing his best for the team he chooses to pout and fight with the coaches. To answer your question,yeah he would be effective again if they get another badass at DT. But I hope he's shown the door.

For those of you who don't get to go to the majority of the games, Sam Adams gets very littl eplaying time anymore. he hasn't been the starter for quite some time now. Sam Adams is in for goal line situations and in our tweaked 4 man pass rush situation in which Kelsay, Schobel Denney and Adams are on the field. Basically he's on the sideline for more than half of the defensive snaps. Before Sape got hurt, Sape was getting in before Adams. He's being punished for something, don't know what though.