Pulling JP in Week 2 destroyed the Bills

Outkast

I was looking back at the season as a whole and trying to find a turning point in the season. The game versus Tampa Bay comes to mind. It was ONLY week 2 and MM had already seen enough from JP. That had to send a bad message to the players and the entire organization. MM had no trust in JPL whatsoever and the players must've felt the same way as soon as JP was pulled so quickly. Not only did the players loose faith in JP, but JP himself didn't take the benching well either. He didn't play at a high level after that until he came in off the bench against KC.

Not only was the benching of Losman detrimental to JP's development as a QB, but so was the way JP was handled from the start. He was handed the job instead of earning it. The job should've been up for grabs. If he would've won the job outright he would've earned the respect of his colleagues as well as his coaches. JP said the same thing himself. He wanted to beat out Drew or whomever else for the job.

I don't like the way management handled the whole JP situation from the start and I still don't like it now. When are they gonna learn?

seriously, you can't put that as the turning point...  the turning point was the steelers game last year.  the only big game that the organization has had in 4 years and they choke miserably.  its been downhill since then.

540793[/snapback]

Do you really think that game had that much of a carry-over affect? If it did then this team IS mentally weak and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

I was looking back at the season as a whole and trying to find a turning point in the season. The game versus Tampa Bay comes to mind. It was ONLY week 2 and MM had already seen enough from JP. That had to send a bad message to the players and the entire organization. MM had no trust in JPL whatsoever and the players must've felt the same way as soon as JP was pulled so quickly. Not only did the players loose faith in JP, but JP himself didn't take the benching well either. He didn't play at a high level after that until he came in off the bench against KC.

Not only was the benching of Losman detrimental to JP's development as a QB, but so was the way JP was handled from the start. He was handed the job instead of earning it. The job should've been up for grabs. If he would've won the job outright he would've earned the respect of his colleagues as well as his coaches. JP said the same thing himself. He wanted to beat out Drew or whomever else for the job.

I don't like the way management handled the whole JP situation from the start and I still don't like it now. When are they gonna learn?

540786[/snapback]

Its just not done that way- you pickj your starter and go with him- you dont split reps, or you have no starter

Do you really think that game had that much of a carry-over affect? If it did then this team IS mentally weak and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

540797[/snapback]

yes. its very obvious. that winning streak was great while it lasted, but when their balls were to the wall, the team fell on its face. you had bledsoe pull his coin toss mutiny, lindell's missed field goal, that defensive performance... then in the offseason, nothing was done to improve the weaknesses that were shown for that game. This season started against a team that the bills should have beaten by 30.. instead it was one good drive. Before that pittsburgh game, the team was showing to be a tough team who could put up points. after, its been a weak p*ssy team. This season has shown that the past scapegoats of gregggggg, bledsoe, killdrive, etc. are just that: scapegoats...

but yes, in short, the downfall began last year against pittsburgh and it has carried over till right now.

yes.  its very obvious.  that winning streak was great while it lasted, but when their balls were to the wall, the team fell on its face.  you had bledsoe pull his coin toss mutiny, lindell's missed field goal, that defensive performance...  then in the offseason, nothing was done to improve the weaknesses that were shown for that game.  This season started against a team that the bills should have beaten by 30..  instead it was one good drive.  Before that pittsburgh game, the team was showing to be a tough team who could put up points.  after, its been a weak p*ssy team.  This season has shown that the past scapegoats of gregggggg, bledsoe, killdrive, etc. are just that: scapegoats...

but yes, in short, the downfall began last year against pittsburgh and it has carried over till right now.

540809[/snapback]

You make some good points. Especially when you said "Nothing was done to improve the weaknesses that were shown for that game". We got run on in that game and how does management respond to that? By letting PW go. Great job guys :D

there has been no turning point because we have never stopped sucking since donohoe got here! 9-7 last year was 100% SMOKE AND MIRRORS...the steelers proved that.

this year we had a little extra bad luck in the form of spikes' injury, but this basically make up for the unusual good luck last year with turnovers and ST touchdowns. we have averaged 6 wins a year since donohoe got here which is about right considering the talent and coaching he's given us.

540786[/snapback]

Turning point was cutting Bledsoe and awarding Losman starting position without even determining if he was capable of being a starter at this point in his career. It reminds me of two previous QB situations - Todd Collins and Rob Johnson.

Bills should not have extended Bledsoe if they did not want him to stay, should have invested more playing time to backups to ensure they were quality players first and be more wary of other teams garbage.

Turning point was cutting Bledsoe and awarding Losman starting position without even determining if he was capable of being a starter at this point in his career.  It reminds me of two previous QB situations - Todd Collins and Rob Johnson.

Bills should not have extended Bledsoe if they did not want him to stay, should have invested more playing time to backups to ensure they were quality players first and be more wary of other teams garbage.

540834[/snapback]

I believe the original plan was to have Bledsoe mentor JP LAST season and get JP starting some games. That went out the window when JP got hurt. By the time he was ready to come back the team was on a roll and Drew stayed the starter. This set the plan back a year, but there was no provision for that - Drew was not affordable for another year and you weren't going to get him to take a pay cut to stay with teh team as a mentor.

The turning point was when they went into this season telling everyone that we could have a QB learn on the job AND make a playoff run. We all knew that both things weren't going to happen, but I think we would have settled for one of those options. The Bilsl tried to do both, and this resulted in pulling JP which was a terrible mistake. He still doesn't have enough starts to be solid next year - he needs at least another half a season (see Carson Palmer).

The turning point was when they went into this season telling everyone that we could have a QB learn on the job AND make a playoff run. We all knew that both things weren't going to happen, but I think we would have settled for one of those options. The Bilsl tried to do both, and this resulted in pulling JP which was a terrible mistake. He still doesn't have enough starts to be solid next year - he needs at least another half a season (see Carson Palmer).

540852[/snapback]

That was the plan for the season and most of us thought the same thing. I don't think anyone thought our offense was going to light up the board, but most of us did expect the defense to stop someone. If the defense played as a top 10 unit this year, even with this offense, we could have won 8-10 games.

The turning point was last offseason when we let our best Olineman and best Dlineman go, and didn't replace them with anyone.

540798[/snapback]

The turning point was the 1994 offseason, when we let our starting OTs go and..........well, you get the idea.

That was the plan for the season and most of us thought the same thing.  I don't think anyone thought our offense was going to light up the board, but most of us did expect the defense to stop someone.  If the defense played as a top 10 unit this year, even with this offense, we could have won 8-10 games.

540854[/snapback]

I certainly didn't see 8-10 games with Pat Williams gone. I was expecting to see 6 wins and a whole lot of JP development.