Mularkey Blows Another Opportunity

MVJim

:unsure: Coach Mularkey stated that "the tipped ball that went for a Broncos touchdown took the wind out of their sails a bit. He thought the replay booth should have looked at it but since it was within the two minute warning he couldn't challenge it. That play mirrors the story of the season, missed opportunities".

Your are right Mike. Missed opportunities. With two timeouts left and only 43 seconds left in the first half, one of those timeouts should have been used to give the officials in the booth more time to consider to review that play. There was a diffrence of 4 points at stake and momentum. There were two possibilities for reversal..one was Vincent had possession and the second was that Rod Smith did not have control when he ended up on the end line. Now, it is very possible that the call may have stood but we went into the locker room with that timeout in our back pocket and wasted it.

How in the world are these "professional" coaches so inept when it comes to clock management and the use of timeouts? When we did get the ball back, after a Holcomb completion over the middle, instead of immediately using a timeout, we tried hurry up and wasted valuable seconds. Result...timeouts taken into the dressing room.

Mularkey used to have more emotion last season and now seems to accept whatever call these incompetent officials call. The officiating in the NFL is by all standards atrocious and that should give more credence is using a timeout to have them look at the called play.

Maybe the Bills should utilize that wasted timeout on Mularkey and TD and find someone who can manage the game!!

:unsure: Coach Mularkey stated that "the tipped ball that went for a Broncos touchdown took the wind out of their sails a bit.

535869[/snapback]

I think the key phrase is Mularkey stating that the wind was taken "out of our sails". First, as a head coach he should make sure this doesn't happen and should never publicly state that if it does. He is saying that his team is mentally weak and can't handle the ups and downs of a typical NFL game. He is not fit to be an NFL coach.

I dont know what's worse that mularkey actually said that or that a 1st half td to only tie the game at 7-7 "took the wind out of their sails" so It's 7-7 let's give up. Nice attitude there directly reflecting the personality of our head coach. The winds out of their sails like the wind blows through mularkeys head one ear and out the other

Good idea, but I'm not sure it would have worked. Those guys in the booth pretty much know right away whether they're going to challenge a play; and if the call didn't come down right after the play, I'm not so sure it would have come down after the TO. But, as you say, it would have been worth a shot.

536045[/snapback]

I would not put too much faith in the men in the booth reacting quickly. Usually, the whistle blows for a review only when a certain amount of time in the huddle transpired. If you noticed, Denver lined up very quickly to kick the extra point to avoid a review. A timeout would have given the booth ample time to review.

My point is that MM was clueless on what to do. This was a critical part of the game as we needed a lead at halftime after pretty much dominating the first half. All we had to show for the effort was a tie which was pretty depressing going into halftime.

I would not put too much faith in the men in the booth reacting quickly.  Usually, the whistle blows for a review only when a certain amount of time in the huddle transpired.  If you noticed, Denver lined up very quickly to kick the extra point to avoid a review.  A timeout would have given the booth ample time to review.

My point is that MM was clueless on what to do.  This was a critical part of the game as we needed a lead at halftime after pretty much dominating the first half.  All we had to show for the effort was a tie which was pretty depressing going into halftime.

536379[/snapback]

I agree 100%. These are the kind of errors that drive me nuts with him. Just like running agaisn't KC when kneel downs would have killed the clock. And for those who don't think timeouts work to give the replay officials more time, just remember the Seattle-Gints game when Mike Holmgran had to burn one to get them to look at a Gints pass completion that was overturn after review

Good idea, but I'm not sure it would have worked. Those guys in the booth pretty much know right away whether they're going to challenge a play; and if the call didn't come down right after the play, I'm not so sure it would have come down after the TO. But, as you say, it would have been worth a shot.

536045[/snapback]

Totally not true. The replay booth has been notoriously slow in sending plays down for review.

Also, Kansas City did the exact same thing in their game earlier that day (albeit on a play that was not ultimately overturned - but KC did get their timeout back thanks to the replay review.)

JDG

I agree 100%. These are the kind of errors that drive me nuts with him. Just like running agaisn't KC when kneel downs would have killed the clock. And for those who don't think timeouts work to give the replay officials more time, just remember the Seattle-Gints game when Mike Holmgran had to burn one to get them to look at a  Gints pass completion that was overturn after review

536593[/snapback]

With the rule that all calls within the last two minutes of each half cannot be challenged by the coach but only by the official in the review booth, calling a timeout signals to the review booth that if not for that rule, the coach would have challenged that play. In all cases I have witnessed where a timeout is called right after a questionable play in the last two minutes of a half, the booth has responded with a review.

Now, I am not saying that the play would have been reversed but this call definitely deserved to be reviewed. It was critical for that time in the game. MM needs to get more into the game both in emotions and awareness. Calling a timeout in this situation does not take a PhD. We have enough problems without beating ourselves by cerebral brainfarts.

I think the key phrase is Mularkey stating that the wind was taken "out of our sails".  First, as a head coach he should make sure this doesn't happen and should never publicly state that if it does.  He is saying that his team is  mentally weak and can't handle the ups and downs of a typical NFL game.  He is not fit to be an NFL coach.

536097[/snapback]

FYI, per WGR's constant rant on the subject. Mularky's exact qoute was "took the sail out of our wind"

.. and they keep comparing it to Hank Bullah(sp?) saying the saying thing 20 years ago, also Hank Bullah(sp?) was apparently the worst coach in Bills history.

it should not be his responsibilty to give the booth more time! under the current rules, the replay officials should be on top of things. If they want the coaches to burn time outs to give the booth officials more time, then get rid of the stupid 2 minute rule now and allow all replays to be called by the coaches! even though in hindsight it was a good call, it was close enough for the replay officials to review the play, i thought that was BS

:( Coach Mularkey stated that "the tipped ball that went for a Broncos touchdown took the wind out of their sails a bit. He thought the replay booth should have looked at it but since it was within the two minute warning he couldn't challenge it. That play mirrors the story of the season, missed opportunities". 

Your are right Mike.  Missed opportunities.  With two timeouts left and only 43 seconds left in the first half, one of those timeouts should have been used to give the officials in the booth more time to consider to review that play.  There was a diffrence of 4 points at stake and momentum.  There were two possibilities for reversal..one was Vincent had possession and the second was that Rod Smith did not have control when he ended up on the end line.  Now, it is very possible that the call may have stood but we went into the locker room with that timeout in our back pocket and wasted it.

How in the world are these "professional" coaches so inept when it comes to clock management and the use of timeouts?  When we did get the ball back, after a Holcomb completion over the middle, instead of immediately using a timeout, we tried hurry up and wasted valuable seconds.  Result...timeouts taken into the dressing room.

Mularkey used to have more emotion last season and now seems to accept whatever call these incompetent officials call.  The officiating in the NFL is by all standards atrocious and that should give more credence is using a timeout to have them look at the called play.

Maybe the Bills should utilize that wasted timeout on Mularkey and TD and find someone who can manage the game!!

535869[/snapback]

it should not be his responsibilty to give the booth more time!  under the current rules, the replay officials should be on top of things.  If they want the coaches to burn time outs to give the booth officials more time, then get rid of the stupid 2 minute rule now and allow all replays to be called by the coaches!  even though in hindsight it was a good call, it was close enough for the replay officials to review the play, i thought that was BS

536795[/snapback]

But Pooj, right now IT IS his responsibility. Forget what the rules should be, they are what they are, and that siyuation cried out for a timeout!!!!.

That spoken as one who really is not sure on whether MM should be given a third year, as I am not 100% in the fire Mularkey mode yet

No I am as quick as anyone to pick on MM, but how about a defensive back that should know that once a ball has been tiped you knock the **** out of the reciever before he has a chance to catch the damn thing.